PDA

View Full Version : www.helicopteruniversity.com..??

Fixed to Fling
12th Sep 2008, 16:34
I am a fixed wing (ASEL) with a couple hundred hours and am looking into obtaining my add-on for helicopters.
A couple of helicopter friends of mine recommended me to this site for some honest answers.

I was wondering if anyone has used the courses from Helicopter University (http://www.helicopteruniversity.com) . They seem pretty well put together, but have never taken any on-line training before (at least not in aviation).

I do like the fact that I can choose which lesson I want to take. My thought was to buy the courses specific to helicopter and then follow up my flight and additional ground training with a CFI (still need the sign off). It is not that expensive, but I don't want to dump money on a scam. The line of thinking was to try and have a bit education and understanding before spending $50.00 an hour for ground.

Has anyone used them before? I posted on JH and VR, but have yet to receive anything substantial.

Any recommendations you could give would be great.

Thanks in advance.....

Shawn Coyle
12th Sep 2008, 23:30
Not that I'm trying to flog my book, but I don't see much merit in only having the FAA Basic Rotorcraft Handbook as the only reference. Wagtendonk and Croucher have also got great books that would be a worthwhile addition for study.
As for the rest of the stuff, it's all freely available from the Feds.

Having looked into doing this sort of thing myself, it was going to be a tough sell even at a lower price than the one shown here.

Like you - I'll be watching to see what the replies are.

Whirlygig
13th Sep 2008, 06:49
Is this a private or commercial licence add-on? If private, it seems quite expensive and you'd be just as well off buying the books Shawn suggests (plus Shawn's own books!) and studying from those.

Cheers

Whirls

Fixed to Fling
13th Sep 2008, 14:44
I am going to get a PVT add-on first, then the COMM add-on.

Thanks for your insite and recommendations. I really do appriciate it. I went ahead and purchased the "1st mod." late last night. I can honestly say, this works great for me (so far). Watched Lesson I twice. Has some pretty cool graphics and is explained well (a little fast though).

Shawn, Where can I get the books you suggest? Are they available through most of the normal avenues for aviation books?

Thanks again all!!!!

jpb2012
13th Apr 2012, 13:59
I wouldn't use helicopteruniversity.com. My experience with the guy that owns and runs that course has been a nightmare. the previews and demos of the lessons on his website are miss leading. you can only review the slides in each lesson once. every time you log back in to review any lesson in that course you have to watch every slide presentation all the way through all over again!!. also, there is no tech support. this is a one man operation!!! there are no tech supports employeed by this guy that i'm aware of. The course won't let you move to the next lesson if you don't pass the practice test. that would be all right except half the time it won't recognize that you past the test and you have to fill out a trouble ticket. And it might be 3 or 4 days!!! (or more!!! because all this guy wants to do is take your money and go play golf with his buddies!!) before he decides to unlock it for you. And he has the program set up so you have to adjust your cookies and privacy settings in your computer to be able to run it. I feel thats risky. he probably is getting info off your computer and selling it to people(thats just my opinion). I mean $199 is really cheap, he has to be making money another way.This guy that runs it is a real jerk!! He closed out my account and erased all my grades because I interupted his golf game when i called him because the program wasn't recognizing i passed the practice test and wouldn't let me go to the next lesson. I was up to lesson 9!!!! And I took off work that day just to study and get caught up on my lessons. And now, not only would I have to start all over, But this jerk won't even let me back in the program. I'm currently in the process of filing suit against him. If you read anything good about Helicopteruniversity.com I can assure you it probably is from him or someone he has paid to publicize something good about it. STAY AWAY FROM HELICOPTERUNIVERSITY.COM!!!! you will be way better of going with the Kings or some other version!! Have fun flying helicopter!! it is fun!! I am and I like it:)

RMK
13th Apr 2012, 16:18
I wouldn't bother; it's not that difficult. I just read the books mentioned above and did some practice exams at: www.mywrittenexam.com (http://www.mywrittenexam.com/) and got 96% on my FAA exam

There are so many free resources for FAA, that these type of offerings are quite superfluous.

HowlingMad Murdock
13th Apr 2012, 21:42
RMK: Many thanks for posting exam test link -:)