PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean Airlines

JetMcQuack
12th Sep 2008, 12:10
Hi guys, I'm a JAA B737 First Officer for an European charter Airline, I've about 1100 hours on B737.
I'd like to know some details about Caribbean Airlines, such as: type of licence required (FAA or also JAA is ok?), roster, bases, salary, benefits ecc.

Thank you very much for your attention,

JET

cochise
12th Sep 2008, 12:46
Unless you have a passport from one of the caribbean islands don't even waste your time. Sorry...
Try flydubai.:ugh:

JetMcQuack
12th Sep 2008, 17:54
So I must marry a nice caribbean girl ....(that's not a bad idea ) :}

Ok, what about the other details? I'd like to know...

NG_Kaptain
17th Sep 2008, 21:03
50+ ex BWIA and Caribbean Airlines pilots have left to the Middle East plus many more to the US, UK , Japan and India. It is not a good place to go to. Murder and kidnapping rates in Trinidad amongst the highest in the world.

chrislikesblue
18th Sep 2008, 19:00
Its true there is crime but dont forget you will be living in an island with some of the hottest women worldwide,i think its worth it.
Do they need pilots?

Sweptwing21
20th Sep 2008, 02:59
Hottest Women ? In Trinidad ?? I don't think so... Maybe in some latin american countries

greendotspeed
20th Sep 2008, 19:23
And a lot of AIDS.

Bredrin
24th Sep 2008, 18:56
Sweptwing21, you obviously have not been to Trinidad carnival......DI GAL DEM HOTT!

chrislikesblue
24th Sep 2008, 23:07
Jay Solo i understand your airline's preference in local people,thats quite common and understandable everywhere.But if there are not enough locals to fill a position then i dont see why not the company could hire a foreigner.
Residence or work permit could be arranged,i dont see this would be a major problem.

pininfarina
25th Sep 2008, 03:01
Ok, we still haven't had one straight answer...

I've temailed my resume numerous times to their hiring department...but nothing yet...it has been a few months....
anyone know if they ARE in fact looking for pilots and what their minimums would be.....I have FAA licenses with a caricom passport...

Gooneyone
25th Sep 2008, 23:55
Pininfarina - here's a straight answer.
If you are a Trinidadian national (with a Trinidadian licence), you join the line unless you know someone.
If you are a Caricom national (with a Trini or Caricom licence), you join the line behind the Trinidadians.
If you are neither of the above, they won't even let you into the line.
Hope that clears things up.

chock2chock
29th Sep 2008, 22:01
Back to the point though, the only reason that they'll probably hire is due to expansion, I dont know about pilot workforce leaving for greener pastures in the middle east and so on, I heard that rumor since the BWee days (albeit their latter days). But I don't believe that they're hurting for pilots just yet. If they are, then there isn't a shortage of ex-Star guys and gals who could fill the ranks on the Trash 8:} :p. Obviously as far as hiring goes, the usual hiring priorities as someone stated above apply with little or no exception,-- The only exception is in the rotary wing field where from what I understand, there is a shortage of qualified local personnel, so I believe foreigners have a much better chance there.
On a god note CAL seems to be hitting and exceeding performance targets given the current economic climate, they've not too long ago expanded adding a 7th 737, so who knows, fingers crossed in 2-3 years time when they've broken even ...fingers crossed, there might even be a chance for me to join the appropriate line.

Zigzoggafus
30th Sep 2008, 02:43
The majority of the guys that left for 'sandier' pastures did so because they lost their jobs when BWIA became CAL at the end of 2006. They likely wouldn't have left otherwise. It being human nature, many of them have nothing good to say about CAL. But the truth is that there is a cautious expansion going on at the moment, lots of training, upgrades and fleet expansion.
But Jay_solo is right, you'll need a Caricom passport as a minimum. Starting position is F/O Dash 8 and there are many caricom nationals with that type rating. As for the NG, all the direct entry guys are on temporary contracts (rumoured to become permanent sometime next year). There are no foreigners yet. There will be a wet leased 737 coming sometime between November and March reportedly being turned into a dry lease which would make 8 NG's. So crews will be needed, there are ads in the papers presently.

PS. I agree with Bredrin & chrislikesblue....The women are hot!

NG_Kaptain
9th Oct 2008, 13:12
The majority of the guys that left for 'sandier' pastures did so because they lost their jobs when BWIA became CAL at the end of 2006. They likely wouldn't have left otherwise. It being human nature, many of them have nothing good to say about CAL.

Of course we nothing good to say, after putting in thirty years service and getting terminated because I was on the Bus, even though I am NG qualified, it does show what type of people are running the place. There are over fifty ex BWIA pilots put out to pasture and having to find jobs far from home. It defies logic what they did.:ugh:

piton
30th Oct 2008, 08:10
The wetlease -800 (post 15) is coming from Amsterdam (Transavia.com). We are a semi low-cost schedule semi charter independent company owned by KLM. (check out Transavia.com (http://www.transavi.com) - there is an English site). We are really looking forward to having a chance to fly in a different environment. We will be flying to Toronto and when the paperwork has been sorted - to New York.

I did my flight training in Trinidad (CATI) and really hope I get a bid to come down - even with 19 years seniority I might not get it.

Question - could a CAL pilot give some info as to how long the layovers are and where you stay in YYZ and JFK?

thanks

sea
30th Oct 2008, 13:37
They stay close to the airport ,nice hotel and layovers are about a day.
enjoy but be careful when in trinidad.

piton
30th Oct 2008, 14:41
Thanks SEA unfortunately doesn't look like I'll get it :-(

pininfarina
4th Dec 2008, 23:07
According to their website, they just acquired 8 738 airplanes....

Will they be hiring pilots?

chock2chock
5th Dec 2008, 19:14
The 8th 737 is a Transavia one on a dry lease....or is it a wet lease (forgot which is which) Anyways, it is a 738-with Transavia livery and "Caribbean Airlines" titles hurriedly stuck on, and I believe opreated by Transavia crew, from what iI understand from a poster above.

pininfarina
8th Dec 2008, 08:19
I've emailed the company numerous times but haven't had an official email back...
Been emailing for at least 4 months now..
There have to be a *Set* of requirements....

Speedbird2263
20th Nov 2009, 14:27
I am a Caricom national and applied to their online ad two months ago. The closing date was September 4. The only real drawback I suppose is conversion to the TT CPL with having to do the 9 exams required. I really hope to get a foot in the door but with all the restructuring that's going on and with newly appointed CEO doing some 'streamling', I suppose I may be 'waiting in line' for sometime yet. :sad:

troythefuture
17th Aug 2011, 00:00
how much do caribbean pilots earn on a monthly and yearly basis, both first officer and captain
help anyone

BimJim
21st Aug 2011, 21:40
Whether you are local or foreign to any English-speaking island or country in the Caribbean, regardless of your dreams or yens, I suggest you forget about aviation as a career.

Being a pilot is no longer a glorified or glamorous job - and maybe it never was. You bust your chops for very little money, possibly sometimes working all night, and the bean-counters around the world have made sure that what pilots lost they gained (airline CEOs and CFOs make millions now while their companies struggle) and they are still working on breaking pilots down further.

McIdiot O'Deary in Ireland's RyanAir wants to be able to fly all passenger jets with one pilot - and cram in more of his paying self-loading cargo (pasxsengers) by making them stand up for the entire flight!!!

Think about it - and I'm not joking.

Caribbean pilot salaries have historically been about half of the "developed" world, and BWIA's pilots used to make less than LIAT's. When BWIA became CAL, all the employees, including pilots, were fired and hired back without unions at even lower salaries.

TTALPA only just got recognised again after 5 years and has NO power.

So CAL pilots will make even less than BWIA pilots used to... take my stupid advice... if your family has the money, look for a different profession to get trained in - accountant, lawyer, doctor, dentist, whatever. Do something ELSE that you like to do, and you and your wife/children will have a far happier - and more prosperous - future. You may even be able to afford to buy your own home...

Forget this pilot thing, there are currently over a hundred experienced Caribbean pilots forced to find a different way to earn a living. If and when vacancies occur, the rich Daddies of some of them have already pulled the necessary strings to make sure their little darlings are high up in the line.

When you get rich at some other profession you can rent an airplane and get a pilot licence, then buy your own airplane and fly yourself around where YOU want to go. Or travel First Class on CAL, beg a visit to the cockpit and see how the other rich peoples children get their kicks - while they rent their domiciles because they can't afford to buy.

Sorry to sound so sour, but reality is reality, and today's reality in the Caribbean is pretty damned sour.

The hard reality is that you would be far better off finding a profession where you can make a good living without being kicked around for just a few bucks by rich people and politicians - most of whom seriously do not have a clue what it is they are doing with other peoples lives.

Zigzoggafus
26th Aug 2011, 03:06
Wow BimJim, you sound like a bitter old man!
Your information is at best outdated and at worst deliberately misleading. Some of what you said is true, about flying as not being as glamorous as it once was, but the days of the low worked/high paid airline pilot are well and truly done. But you'll find that's the case worldwide.
There was an old joke about a BWIA pilot not being able to see a Liat aircraft because 'it's too small'. 'Like your salary!' came the reply. But as I said, it's an OLD joke. CAL's salaries were about the same as BWIA's were when it was closed down at the start of 2007. Since then they've been supplemented with various raises and bonuses and are now well in excess of anything Liat pays.
TALPA has been recognized as the pilot's bargaining body by CAL for years now and may not have the power that it once did, but many positive changes have been made and continue to be made.
I've been in the game for over 20 years now and have seen scant evidence of 'daddies pulling strings' however I'm not saying it doesn't happen. But once again, I think you'll find that worldwide.
Flying is still a great way to earn a living however you have to start early and have something to fall back on. To shoot down someone's dream just because things didn't work out for you comes off as sour grapes.
To answer some questions asked here, CAL's HR department is like the secret service. Nobody knows when vacancies will come up until they do. However with a wash of ATR72-600's due starting in October and 2 767-300's that need crewing this year, it's a safe bet that they'll be hiring sooner rather than later.

chock2chock
26th Aug 2011, 14:18
Well said Zig! :D:ok:

stealth114
27th Aug 2011, 20:06
Quite alot of negativity here and I respect the views of all.. It is indeed a fact that flying isnt the glamor career but for every one who hates it or is let down, there is always one who loves it and will make it, just like most other career paths. To tell someone to go in another career and forget flying, there is just too much of that on these forums, which we can all do without. Indeed, alot of the folks who fly do get their own children and they are the ones with the connections and it is indeed about " Who you know" and the folks with the money who get their high flying kids through and in the right seat but thats not to say you can get there with hard work. My folks arent wealthy nor are in the top brass connections but I am determined to make it ..

Zig, very well said.. CAL Hr is indeed a secret box ad they advertise both internally and externally at the spurt of the moment. I do feel the hiring wave is coming soon , as you said, with these ATR's and 767's on the way. I see a lot of fresh commercial pilots from the neighboring islands in a haste to get their conversions done locally !

NightWolf
29th Aug 2011, 21:53
Just curious, with the two 767's; are there going to be wet lease or the Trini boyz will get some widebody action again? Is CAL going to keep the North American wet lease they have now with the 757?

NightWolf

Zigzoggafus
30th Aug 2011, 18:57
The news filtering through now is that the 767 deal is off. Rumor has it that the deal was all set up with LAN at good terms for the a/c but due to delays at government level, they were sold to another buyer.

This apparently is the reason that the Chairman tendered his resignation. The political red tape wasn't allowing him to run the company as he wanted.

The will is there, however, to return to London. Just how and when are unknown, at least to me.

As for the wet-leased 757, CAL needs more capacity to JFK and the proposed 767's would have supplemented that nicely. I wouldn't be surprised if the 757 stays longer than expected.

JamaicanFlyer
31st Aug 2011, 20:39
My sources tell me the deal is back on and the chairman retracted his resignation letter so we will see what happens

RedEyeDriver
5th Sep 2011, 00:11
Caribbean Airlines
Hi guys, I'm a JAA B737 First Officer for an European charter Airline, I've about 1100 hours on B737.
I'd like to know some details about Caribbean Airlines, such as: type of licence required (FAA or also JAA is ok?), roster, bases, salary, benefits ecc.

Thank you very much for your attention,

JET

I was employed with CAL for a 10months contract between 2010 and 2011. The initial contract was 10 months but this ended in preadvance due to government officials voting against expats. Expats was hired due to high amount of local pilots being trained from other types to B737NG. Screenings was done in MIA aswell as 60% of company course and rest in POS(our base). The company is nice to work for but the payments was little bit on the downside, we had 4000USD basic for FO and 7000USD basic for Capt+ perdiems. My JAA license was validated in TTCAA and it wasnt a complicated story. We got Hilton hotel payed during entire contract period incl breakfast. The roster pattern was 1 month with 8 days off with little or no changes once published. We flew mainly JFK,YYZ,MIA,FLL aswell as entire caribbean region and some parts of south america. Dont know if they still require any expats doubt that to be honest, the company recently merged with Air Jamaica and their future plans is to redevelop similar business structure as BWIA once had.

Zigzoggafus
7th Sep 2011, 03:46
RWY_31R

It's a 28 day roster, thereby 13 control periods per year.
Usually 55-65 Hrs per control period. Minimum of 9 OFF days per roster, each single day OFF must have 2 local nights rest (10 PM to 8 AM).

There are no more 'Reserve Lines', reserves are interspersed throughout the roster, usually 5 days of reserve on each line.

There is a bidding system, lines are built by the rostering department, put out for bidding and are awarded in order of seniority. Contract pilots are allowed to bid but they're at the bottom of the list so alot of times it doesn't make much sense.

Another bidding system is being looked out, something like the Pref-Bid we used to have. There's also talk of adopting the system that WestJet uses, yet to be seen.

Lots of swapping goes on between crew members, Rostering just has to OK it.

Hope this helps.............

Zig

RedEyeDriver
7th Sep 2011, 16:10
Hey RedEyeDriver,

In general, how did the roster work at CAL (e.g standby duty)? And was there a bidding system or facility to trade trips with other crew members?

The typical week pattern could be,

Around 1 or 2 days off, combined with reserves, usually 6hr´s each. They have a bidding system, but I never used it, the only time when I really needed to change my flights, I just substituted them with other pilots, with approval from rostering department first.

The duty times per day would rarely exceed 8hrs, I found CAL´s flying programe to be fairly easy, compared to what I experienced in other companies in middle east and africa with max duty and minimum rest.

I brought my wife over to Trinidad which allowed me to stay there without commuting back half around the globe.

tallman123
8th Sep 2011, 20:29
REDEYEDRIVER,

im guessin thats the monthly salary right and also im 19 year old,how long will it take me (approx) to become a pilot if i start at this age.thanks

RedEyeDriver
8th Sep 2011, 23:10
REDEYEDRIVER,

im guessin thats the monthly salary right and also im 19 year old,how long will it take me (approx) to become a pilot if i start at this age.thanks

Yes its monthly salary.

Pilot trainings varies a lot, it also depends on what type of license you want to hold, if your aim is CPL+fATPL and perhaps a TR for B737 then maybe 2 years, depending on how well you progress. Trinidad has nice VFR conditions most of the time, so many parts of your initial training should go reasonable quick. Consult with the local flying school in Piarco, I´m sure they will provide you with better answers.

tallman123
8th Sep 2011, 23:14
thanks alot,really appreciate it :ok:

treetree
9th Sep 2011, 01:56
Any idea of when next CAL will be hiring? What were the requirements? I am Jamaican.

JamaicanFlyer
11th Sep 2011, 13:24
I hear rumors of possibly in Dec/Jan for the ATR's out of Jamaica (I can only speak for hiring in Jamaica)

treetree
11th Sep 2011, 18:52
Thanks for the info. Did you get my email?

jason12
19th Sep 2011, 08:07
hey what are some of the benefits for being a pilot with CAL ??

whats the salary of a starting first officer on the dash 8 ?

Curry Goat
20th Sep 2011, 10:42
hey what are some of the benefits for being a pilot with CAL ??

The fact that you have a job and are contributing to your family

whats the salary of a starting first officer on the dash 8 ?

I suspect somewhat more than you are earning now, sitting in front of a computer in mummy's house

jason12
22nd Sep 2011, 05:12
curry goat > i am 16 and still in secondary school but i plan on being a pilot however i have duel citizenship and i was just wondering benefits of working for caribbean airlines ...

chock2chock
23rd Sep 2011, 16:48
Jason, welcome to the forum pay no heed to the likes of curry goat... I say no more. Its very good for you to take an interest in the "labour" aspect to working for an airline. Unfortunately I have no productive info that I can impart. I'm sure that there is someone else on this forum that can. Bear in mind that you are only 16 and by the time you possibly get hired at CAL, at the very least 4-5 years from now conditions and benefits might very well be different to what they are today.

As far as rumours go a junior turboprop F/O makes about 18-20K TTD.

surplus1
23rd Sep 2011, 19:53
Hello Jason. What country do you have dual citizenship with? That makes a difference on your future job opportunities.

jason12
24th Sep 2011, 04:38
@ chocktochock thanks man ... i was actually reading on the caribbean airlines and i saw there requirements of age 21 however afterwards i would use the time to make up my hours ..... should i start at briko or just start at a foreign school ?

@surplus1 > hey man i was born in the US but i currently reside in trinidad so i have considered caribbean airlines however is there any information you can give me about american airlines or even if i would still be considered for employment ? thanks in advance ...

micheal30
24th Sep 2011, 08:56
hello,

is there anyone who can give me an idea of basic pilot roster with CAL and if it would be possible for someone to be a pilot and run a business ?

Curry Goat
3rd Oct 2011, 10:34
Yes chocktochock, I admit to being a bit facetious with young Jason. My point to him is that he is putting the cart before the horse. If your passion is flying, go do the license and worry about the job and lifestyle thereafter. If it is however that he is basing his decision to learn to fly on what the lifestyle and pay is at CAL, I think he may want to chose a different career.

CG

stealth114
23rd Oct 2011, 04:26
Jason,

At 16 is a very young age and is great that you aspire to be a pilot but dont let that be just all you want to do. I know one or two guys who barely could have made it out of high school and can barely read better than a 8 year old ( Yes I sat next to one in training in the airline and I almost choked at his reading skills ) and are flying jets now simply because mah Daddy was in the airline and mah daddy knew I was going to be a pilot even when I was born and thats all I knew in life to earn the big bucks , which is SAD in my opinion.. So dont be that guy.. Too many kids in T&T want to get in flying because of the ultra cool factor, want the big bucks and the lifestyle and their parents got money to burn and want to just give their son something to do other than cruising around in his BMW because he cant do jack sh*t with his life... They get out of a cessna and into a turboprop and thats all they know off.. When u ask them of their training, they have no fond memories.. It was just something to do as quick as possible so that they can get on the RH seat of CAL and get in the uniform..

Don't just be the guy who came right out of GCSE's and went and did flight training and that's all you know to do in life.. flying is great but there are other facets of life that can enrich a person. Get A levels and a degree too and that will broaden your horizons, transferable skills and make you more marketable . It will go a long way since it will be something to fall back on and shows a level of maturity which the airlines like to see.

Delta Papa
25th Oct 2011, 22:28
Hi there, is Cubana flying A320 with TACA?
TXS

johnnyringo42
20th Nov 2011, 09:48
Bim isn't being what you've paced him to be. He is so correct and I would encourage my kids to do anything else than fly for carriers in the West who have nothing but greedy top mngmnt who disenfranchise our hard work put into their airlines. CAL did the Jamaican Pilots so wrong and maybe ZIg wasn't one of them who had experienced what happened so he has absolutely no first hand view of this. Become a Doctor or even a nurse and be home each night with your family or friends rather than busting your butt for no benefits and the lowest wages of anywhere in the world right now.

When CAL took over they terminated a lot of guys and the ones they retained got only 6 month contracts with no way of know if they will be able to feed themselves nor a family after 6 months. They terminated thousands of ground jobs which wasn't a part of their initial plan but they had fooled the people.

Bim isn't saying don't fly but be smart if there's something else you can do instead of spending the rest of your life in an uncertain future with these tricksters. I am bitter and I have no fear of admitting it because we were driven out of our country to find better compensation befitting of our profession. If you want to fly for peanuts then my hat is off to you but even if you were borned rich don't settle for less as you are among those who encourage the Top Brass to abuse us....

Damos
21st Nov 2011, 09:34
Good Morning Keithos,
Currently, I'm an aspiring pilot that hopes to one day land a job as a First Officer with CAL just like you. I have a Bachelor of Applied Science Degree and I've nearly completed my Masters in Science. I'm blessed that I have a great job and was able to pay for my training without loans or any debt from beginning to end. I'm nearly completed my Instructor Rating and planning on teaching part time in the evenings here in Toronto Canada. I have all my ratings including dual citizenship for Trinidad and Canada. Not to mention, I also have my TNT Commercial Pilots License.
I'm debating on doing the 737 type rating in Florida at Aerostar in a month or so and was wondering if it would be beneficial to me.
Also, it is rumored that CAL will be hiring again soon, what are the minimum requirements?

What was your journey like to the right seat at CAL and do you have any other words of wisdom/recommendations for guys like me?

Thanks in advance and hope to fly with you one day.:)

Rotorhead1026
21st Nov 2011, 12:36
I won't disagree with a thing Keithos has said. If flying is your dream, latch on to it. BTW, I worked for Caribbean from 10/2010 to 6/2011 on contract. There are worse places to be.

My intent is not to be negative, but something must be pointed out. Keithos' age is shown as 35. He's making $23,000 (US) per year, plus allowances. He'd doubtless be making more if he had gone into industry with his education. He wants to fly. Fair enough. If you've a burning desire to make money aviation might not be the best choice (unless you go the corporate MBA route). These days the hot setup to make money is in accounting / CPA.

This is all just food for thought. Somebody young and single can do okay on 23k; this will change with a wife and a couple of rugrats. By then, though, it's usually too late to question your career choice. Again, if you love flying, great, but go into the career with your eyes wide open. :)

captjns
21st Nov 2011, 13:08
23K:*? What a bloody fu:mad:en disgrace. The young starry eyed lads and lasses need to be quit prostetuting themselves just to sit in the right seat of a shiny T/P or Jet.

Terms and conditions will never rise until such time the mature adults band together and say enough is enough!

Vik_atpl
21st Nov 2011, 13:14
I think he means 23,000TTD per month

Rotorhead1026
21st Nov 2011, 14:43
IIRC 23k US per year is more in line with what turboprop f/o's at CAL were making, perhaps after taxes. Hopefully he'll chime in with a clarification. In any case 23k TTD per month is about 45k USD per year. Not as drastic, but my son was graduated with a BSME and was making more than that at age 22 - so I'll stick to the gist of my last post. :)

keithos
22nd Nov 2011, 11:33
Hey bro,
You are very fortunate to have no debts from flying.
CAL is rumored to start hiring in the first quarter of next year for the ATR 72 600. Though there may be more focus on Jamaica since the third ATR should be bound for Jamaica.
Once you have your T.T. Commercial and your degree, you have the Min. Your degree is actually an asset and will make you stand out.
The Type Rating is a great move since it exposes you to the rigors of a type rating. And it will show the airline that you are definitely trainable if you have such an advanced Type. If you can do it in a month, then definitely go for it. I did my 737 -300 Type at Pan Am in Miami.

chock2chock
22nd Nov 2011, 16:38
and for Rotorhead... Horses for Courses I guess. And for the naysayers "haters" who want to compare apples to oranges a $4000USD is a VERY good starting salary for living in Trinidad even if the working conditions were worse; and they seem quite good from what Keithos says I'ts funny that some people criticize the situation, when they probably have don't even meet legal requirement to live/work here, and so they need not apply....

Rotorhead1026
23rd Nov 2011, 22:11
I can tell you in Trinidad and wider Caribbean, unless you work in the investment field, no accountant is going to make more than a pilot. Maybe even in the US.

Most middle-aged CPA's in the US will earn more than most pilots, in a far more stable job -with holidays off. Your accountant friend at Price valued flying over lifestyle. I think that's great, but I want the youngsters here to know what they're getting into, and to choose a career for the right reasons.

to work 2 weeks out of the month, I think you're not doing too badly. Added to which, you have the opportunity and time to invest in your education and develop a thriving business. Furthermore, you have one of the coolest jobs in the world

I can't speak for the Dash 8 / ATR. The Boeing rosters at Caribbean weren't stable (they aren't anywhere). They were perpetually short of pilots - you weren't getting two weeks off per month. That stated, a couple of guys did have businesses, and one f/o was doing very well building PC based CPT's, so it is possible. Whatever you do, you'll work hard if you want to get ahead. Just realize as you move into your forties, with a family, no amount of money will be enough. Don't leave any on the table by making the wrong career choice.

Rotorhead1026
24th Nov 2011, 06:08
and for Rotorhead... Horses for Courses I guess.

I'n not criticizing at all, but I'll again note that someone of his age and education would likely be doing much better in a different industry. He wants to fly, though, and seems to be doing well enough. Fine ...

when they probably have don't even meet legal requirement to live/work here, and so they need not apply....

I worked there for seven months, legally. :) They sent all us expats packing in May and June. Last week they contacted me for another contract. Go figure ...

Rotorhead1026
24th Nov 2011, 12:29
They were taking the Jamaican A320's out of service and training those guys on the Boeing. Between that and recurrents the check airmen and simulators were full up, which is part of the reason we were hired.

I was flying about 65 hours per month. A lot of their stuff is redeye (POS-YYZ; POS-JFK for example), so a lot of your rest and days off are in JFK or YYZ. All told I'd be gone about 17 days, but a couple of the days off were always in Toronto or NYC.

bailee atr
26th Nov 2011, 06:46
I'm an ATR captain with AE out of SJU. We have been hearing rumors of CAL buying us out. With our current CEO supposedly going over to CAL. Have you guys at CAL gotten any word of this??

Zigzoggafus
26th Nov 2011, 11:54
There's been rumours about your CEO for a couple months now as possibly becoming the next CEO at CAL but only recently has there been talk of a takeover of AE.

CAL is in the process of getting 9 ATR72-600's delivered for both the POS and KIN bases and it might make more sense to merge with an existing ATR operator rather than try to takeover the beleaguered LIAT with their Dash 8's.

How is the ATR working out for you guys?

And what's the news on your CEO then? A fine, upstanding gentleman I'm sure........

bailee atr
26th Nov 2011, 21:12
Our ATRs are very old, and their age is showing. However its a great aircraft for island flying. The amount of cargo it hauls with the performance numbers is impresive. I can only imagine the -600 is aimprovement on a proven model.
As for the CEO Mr. Fabregas, I have meet him and spoken to him a couple of times. Hes a smart guy. He has been hamstrung due to Executive airlines having to follow orders from American Eagle in Dallas Headquarters. I think in a stand alone carrier like CAL he would do fine. Management is management, and they have their agendas. We dont always see eye to eye, but in this case Mr. Fabregas is a good guy to have on your team. If he leaves it would be our loss and your gain.

Zigzoggafus
27th Nov 2011, 03:48
"I think in a stand alone carrier like CAL he would do fine."

CAL is anything but stand alone. It's a wholly owned government entity which means LOTS of government meddling. It's been known to frustrate past CEO's.

Good to hear about the performance of the ATR's though, there's been talk that the Dash 8-400 would be far superior in terms of baggage. West Indians are notoriously heavy travellers.

bailee atr
27th Nov 2011, 16:42
ATRs problem with bags is mostly on short routes, SJU-STT, or POS-TOB. Max TO weight is 1500lbs difference, so you need about a 1 hour flight to burn that to be able to TO at max weight and land at max weight. Our -500 are a little better, and I imagen that your -600's have better performance too. I do like the cargo in the front and back of the ATR. It's easier for weight and balance to plan the cargo loading so you don't need to move the passengers around too much. The Q400 seems to be a good machine but I don't know too much about it's performance numbers. I know it's fast, but on a short route like POS-TOB I don't think their is much difference. Our ATR's carry about 5000lbs of cargo with 64 passengers. The cargo compartments are really big. I've carried surfboards and car parts all the time and they fit fine in the front cargo hold.

bailee atr
27th Nov 2011, 16:51
Just read an article about the possible buy out by CAL. It says it's waiting for our divesture and union vote on a temporary pilot contract extention. Neither of with I see happening. Personally I would like a buyout if it were to preserve or SJU base.(I want to stay at home and don't want to commute or move to the USA). I think if we stay with American, our days of a SJU base are numbered.:-( All our ATR leases expire in 2014 and the company doesn't want to renew them. 2 more aircraft leave the fleet next month bringing us down to 34 a/c. Then 12 more leave each year. I wouldn't mind flying down to POS again, I miss getting my doubles!!!

LimaFoxTango
27th Nov 2011, 23:55
I would take that CAL buyout of Eagle story with a grain of salt. With the route structure of Eagle, I do not see how that would be of any use to CAL. Isn't there regulations that prohibit foreign entities from owning majority percentage of a US airline? If that's so, why then would CAL buy into an airline it would have no say or control of? A number of rumours flying around stated that the -72 does fairly poorly when it comes to baggage. Averaging 50lbs per pax on CAL's 68 seat -72, thats about 3400lbs required. If the -72's cargo capacity is 5000lbs as per bailee's figures, the aircraft seems more than capable. Compare that to the Dash 8 300's cargo hold of 2500lbs, the exact amount for the 50 pax it carries.

diver-driver
4th Dec 2011, 21:40
Hey guys,

So reading through the thread seems no one feels like answering the questions. I am hoping someone would be willing to answer questions and not be smart a**es.

1) whats the pay like for a FO on the ATR?
2) whats the schedule like for those guys?
3) how long does it take for upgrade?
4) Whats the interview process like?
5) What sort of sim eval do they make you do?

I do expect some people to come up with stupid comments, please refrain. We all all professional men/women in aviation. And the goal is all to be in that seat. If we can all help each other out would be great!!!!

johnnyringo42
5th Dec 2011, 12:01
If you are not a Caribbean National dont bother to ask and to be honest if that ATR is for Jamaica nobody in here will know. Dont sound so arrogant in here as aviation is a small world.

diver-driver
5th Dec 2011, 13:12
johnnyringo42:

Its not a matter of being arrogant. Its a simple matter of wanting answers.
Cause my location says Canada does not mean that I am not a Trini. Typical mentality of assuming! steupse.

You prove my point when I said they I'd love to get an answer without smart a** comments. Typical!!!

Now moving on, can someone please answer the questions...

Regards.

BlueSkyLife
6th Dec 2011, 13:04
I did an interview with CAL for ATR FO post with CAL. It was straight forward and only took an hour. I had to fill an application form out and sign some agreement stuff.

Questions like CRM, Instrument Approaches, Emergency decision making and some others regarding personal interest and information.

However, I was wondering how long I have to wait to here a call from them whether it was successful?

Anyone out there could tip me on the average waiting period to hear or do you think its wise to give a call and find out?

diver-driver
7th Dec 2011, 00:00
So BlueSkyLife just out of curiousity, how long did you have to wait to get a call from CAL to come in for an interview.

Thanks again.

BlueSkyLife
8th Dec 2011, 03:26
I could remember 2 months ago. Just when they received the first ATR72-600, I sent it off and did my interview at Norman Manley International Airport. Lasted an hour and was fairly easy.

johnnyringo42
9th Dec 2011, 07:45
JALPA (Jamaican Airline Pilot's Assoc) has given CAL notice for some reason that they may be taking Industrial Actions within 72 hrs from yesterday Dec 08...Think CAL isn't paying over a part of their bargain.

BlueSkyLife
13th Dec 2011, 11:20
I am looking for the news that the industrial action was taken. However, I seem to be missing the follow-up news on those issues.

BlueSkyLife
14th Dec 2011, 03:33
They seem to not believe in emails. They called me. Tried getting some info via email and they never replied. When I called they said they didnt get anything.:hmm:

TTail
16th Dec 2011, 13:36
What is the pilot union's view on contract pilots, Captains and FOs? Is this an agreed arrangement?

NoJoy
17th Dec 2011, 16:01
Does anyone have any recent information on any new or upcoming hiring? If so what are competitive minimums?

count dingleberry
18th Dec 2011, 13:06
Hello,

I have an assessment with Caribbean as a pilot on the 737NG.
Could anyone please give me some info about the assessment procedure like tests, interview, simcheck etc.

I appreciate it!

flyer79
21st Dec 2011, 15:00
Hi guys,

Anyone got email to where you should send your CV. Or maybe a phone number, or fax?
Would like to apply, but couldn't find on their website any email.

Are they still hiring on the 737NG ? or just looking for Prop pilots now?

Cheers and best of luck to all

mlindb
21st Dec 2011, 16:01
flyer79,

Check your PM´s.

chock2chock
6th Jan 2012, 19:33
correct, I heard that they conduct assessments in a fixed base 737 sim... not too far from the airport.

BlueSkyLife
7th Jan 2012, 15:21
Anyone here did an interview in November 2011 with CAL and went for Assessment already? If you did where did you go and what was the type of Sim?

CAAUOS
9th Jan 2012, 17:54
Hi there,

Anyone have an email address to where you should send your CV. Or maybe a phone number, or fax?
Would like to apply, but couldn't find on their website any email.

Are they still hiring on the ATR ? or just looking for 737 pilots now? , ani idea how's the assesment for the ATR fleet?

I'll appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks and Good luck to all

Determined66
20th Jan 2012, 20:21
hey do you still want the information or have you gotten it already?

Determined66
20th Jan 2012, 20:31
So i've decided to go ahead and train for my PPL and CPL along however i've been doing some heavy research and must admit am becoming a little discouraged one thing i recently heard is that even though you have a CPL or may be a qualified pilot that doesnt guarantee you a job so one should have a plan b :confused:

i guess what i wanted to know is if its worth spending all that time and money towards something that your not sure to get through with?? can i get some feed back please..feel free to pm me as well thanks in advance :ugh:

P.s i was thinking of applying to CAL when i'm through training

dudubrdx
20th Jan 2012, 20:33
Hi, I would appreciate the information.
I might be a bit low on experience (600TT 100 ATR) but hey who knows.

Got any inside info?

Determined66
20th Jan 2012, 21:52
i sent you a PM :)

dudubrdx
21st Jan 2012, 03:42
Hi, didn't get your PM.
And for your question, yeah the chances are very high that CAL would hire you. If they're having a rough time you could always go to other Caribbean carriers who would probably hire you instead of a EU or US pilot

Determined66
21st Jan 2012, 13:04
i'm sending you a message again

slowstream
22nd Jan 2012, 16:53
Hi everyone,

I scanned through the last couple of pages hoping to find some more updated info and didn't seem to have much success.

I noted 4 ad's looking for crews on the 378 and the ATR this week; thats a lot of pilots their looking for and makes me wonder why. Can anyone shed some light on why their hiring so many crews? Is it because everyone left for greener pastures? Is it cause of pay and working conditions? Is it cause of growth? Is it cause of island life and crime? Whats the deal?

I have 6000+ hrs, I am 37 qualified, with a wife and two daughters, is this some place I could hang my hat for 10+ years?

I did apply but don't like wasting peoples time and money little alone mine if its garbage and won't accept a position.

Some help and insights would be appreciated.

harriedutch
23rd Jan 2012, 10:33
Hey Determined66 can you send me the information as well?

I wanna apply, but can't anything for flight crew on their website...

Thanks!

CAAUOS
24th Jan 2012, 06:57
Hi, determine, I'm still want the information. Thanks

Need to Know Basis
31st Jan 2012, 12:06
As anyone got any update on Caribbean Airlines and the return to the UK ? I heard a rumour B767-300ER flights to start LGW in the Suimmer 2012. Any one heard anything ?

Determined66
1st Feb 2012, 13:27
hey everyone sorry for the late reply sending the info now

Determined66
1st Feb 2012, 13:34
now the deadline for all that i've sent is tomorrow once again sorry for he late reply and good luck...

Zigzoggafus
2nd Feb 2012, 01:59
CAL will be resuming its service to London from the 14th June 2012 using two (2) B767-300ERs with state of the art cabins, which include in-seat power and video and flatbed Business Class seats. 1st aircraft to be delivered end of April, 2nd one at the end of May.

Vik_atpl
2nd Feb 2012, 02:43
^ what source confirmed this?

Need to Know Basis
9th Feb 2012, 11:57
Thanks - info now showing on the CAL website as to LGW ops.

Damos
11th Feb 2012, 13:00
Good Morning,

I received an interview for Caribbean Airlines and was wondering if anyone knows what the interview process will be like and where will it take place. Also, how soon after the interview do they contact you regarding your performance.

Thanks in advance.

Rotorhead1026
11th Feb 2012, 14:34
DEC or f/o? What aircraft type?

Damos
11th Feb 2012, 15:49
F/O on the ATR. I know that you were on the 737, did you enjoy your time there?
Thanks

NoJoy
11th Feb 2012, 18:35
Damos do you mind sharing your times and where did you apply?

Rotorhead1026
12th Feb 2012, 05:20
F/O on the ATR. I know that you were on the 737, did you enjoy your time there?
Thanks

Overall, yes, but it's not a long-term position by any means - at least for an expat.

chock2chock
23rd Feb 2012, 12:22
They held interviews 2 weeks ago at their HQ in POS, from wha I heard, successful candidates were invited to a sim evaluation at Pan Am in Miami.

Vik_atpl
23rd Feb 2012, 17:59
Yes Sunday 12th feb the first group went out to miami , when was your interview a330v777?

lookoutbelow
26th Feb 2012, 12:46
Guys,
Not sure if anyone can assist but I have been offered a contract as a B737-8 Captain with CAL. Some valuable info on this thread, but some is now probably out of date. I am an expat so it is a 12 month rolling contract based in POS.
Can anybody please post (or PM if prefer) details of what to expect in terms of:
Roster, Days of per month in POS, Flying hours, reserves/stand-by's in POS
Accom that CAL provide contractors - I believe it is appartments in Trincity, what are the appartments like, is it a safe area. Is there much to do etc..
Any other details..
Also..Are the B767's that will be operating to London LGW wet leased or are CAL taking the aircraft and crews themselves?
I am European (JAA Licence - assume I would be operating on TT CAA Vlaidation), maried with a baby daughter.. trying to ascertain if the family could come and stay/live wiith me.. (visa's etc)
Any info would be very greatfully recieved.
Regards, Lookoutbelow..

Rotorhead1026
26th Feb 2012, 15:02
Are you working through an agency? If you're paid offshore you'll not have to pay Trinidad taxes; otherwise, look out.

Our apartments never materialized, especially since the company wanted double occupancy. Looks like they've gotten used to the idea. Trincity is close to the airport.

We flew about 60 hours per month, but this took 18 - 20 days, IIRC. There was a lot of back side of the clock stuff. (YYZ-POS, for example).

You'll get a monthly roster a few days in advance, but it gets butchered as the month rolls along. There wasn't much reserve, and you'l probably get assigned a trip the day before anyway. They were quite short of pilots last year.

The plan last year was for CAL to fly the 767's. That was last year, though. :) They were wet leasing some North American 757's for other things, though, so who knows?

lookoutbelow
26th Feb 2012, 15:26
Thanks Rotorhead...
Will send you a PM if you don't mind.
ATB, Lookoutbelow

Zigzoggafus
26th Feb 2012, 15:37
Lookoutbelow,

You can expect 28 day rosters with a minimum of 9 days OFF, most lines run between 50 and 70 hours and are a pretty mixed bag of flying. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale flights are turnarounds (3:30 each way), New York and Toronto's are overnights, hotels are decent, lots of shopping in NYC really close if that's your thing. There are 3 sometimes 4 NYC's a day, one departs at midnight 50, another at around 9 AM and another at 5:30 PM.
Jamaica is also an overnight, decent hotel but Kingston can be dangerous, most crews don't venture too far.
There are quite a few flights throughout the day down to Guyana, 50 minutes south. Some of them overnight and come back to POS in the morning.
You tend to get a 5 day block of reserves somewhere on each roster.

The apartments in Trincity are nice, they're on a golf course with a pool and really close to the airport (5 mins. No airplane noise though).
It's a safe area with a pretty big mall very close, cinemas, lots of food, big supermarket. If you really want to get into some trouble, the capital of Port of Spain is about a 40 minute drive depending on traffic. Lots to do there in terms of socializing and bar hopping. POS can be dangerous if you stumble into the wrong area so best to go with some locals first.

The 767's will be crewed by CAL to start LGW in June. That's actually the reason you'll be here, we need to release about 15 crews off the 737 to crew the 767.
As far as your family staying with you, I don't see a problem. Guys have brought their families to live with them before but I'm not really sure to be honest.
They won't need a visa if they're from the UK but I'm not sure about the length of stay allowed. Ask whoever you're talking to in CAL, they should know.
Even if they'll need to pop back home after 6 months they'll be 4 or 5 flights to LGW weekly.

From all the contract guys I've talked to over the years, it's a pretty good gig. The airplanes are well maintained, the flying's not that tough. Fantastic weather 99% of the time. There are a couple flights that'll wipe you out and have you feeling like a zombie for half a day but you'll find that anywhere you work.

Some people really like Trinidad, some don't. Things work a little different in the islands, that's just a fact of life. CAL is a state run airline and that comes with all the drawbacks as well as all the benefits. But the politics won't really affect you flying the line.

Hope this helps.

Zig

lookoutbelow
26th Feb 2012, 16:01
Thanks Zig,
That is excellent infomation..
It sounds OK from what you say..
Not worried about the tiring flights, I am well used to those. Good to hear the apartments are in a safe area.. do you think I will need a car there? apparently CAL pick you up and drop you off from work..
Many thanks again,
Lookoutbelow

Zigzoggafus
26th Feb 2012, 16:11
I would definitely get a car, you might succum to cabin fever stuck in the apartment in Trincity! Sharing it between 2 or 3 guys would be cheapest. A mid size sedan will probably run you about $1200 US per month from what I can remember.

DRIVE DEFENSIVELY IN TRINIDAD!!!

Zig

sea
27th Feb 2012, 18:25
Glad things are looking up for CAL ,any info about the compensation for the contract position's.

singularity
27th Feb 2012, 23:50
Hi guys,

First post here, I recently had an interview at CAL at which i was successful at my only problem is I need to apply for my US visa and I need some info for the visa application. I need to know where in Miami the Sim assessment is being conducted? any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying my best to get it from CAL's HR dep't but they have only given me info as to where I'll be staying.

Rotorhead1026
28th Feb 2012, 00:20
The 737's were done at Boeing's facility; this was 1 1/2 years ago. Get the visa done properly; Boeing won't let you past the front desk if your paperwork isn't right. :)

Arsenic
11th Mar 2012, 01:23
hey guys,
can anyone give any info on converting to a TTCAA licence? and how long it takes.

Thanks.

dlcmdrx
11th Mar 2012, 15:27
So at the begining of the thread you can only apply if you have a jamaican or tt passport. Now they say they are hiring expats... Can someone clarify this ppint?? Also where to apply?? Their website??

Arsenic
12th Mar 2012, 15:55
@ RWY_13

thanks for the info, much appreciated. I contacted them and they basically said the same thing. Once the exams are done the TTCAA licence is granted without delay.

Briko has a program geared to cover the exams and it takes approximately 2 weeks and you're all set. However, the modules are all available from the CAA for self study.

maksingh
16th Mar 2012, 14:37
Guys,

Does anyone know where I can find the Study Material to write the T&T Technical Subjects?

Regards,

Rabin.

Zigzoggafus
20th Mar 2012, 00:46
The newspaper article paints a gloomy picture but as is usually the case, there's two sides to every story. Three sides if you include the truth!

The ATR's are not performing anywhere close to what was promised. They are not hauling the load, they're not climbing to efficient altitudes and they're breaking down regularly.

Therefore CAL is actively looking at replacing the whole lot with Dash 8-400's. So the reason that two ATR's are waiting to be collected in Toulouse may not be for lack of funds.

It doesn't make sense to hire and train 30 new hires on the ATR when there's the very real possibility that the airplanes will be returned.

cessna95
20th Mar 2012, 02:16
can someone be kind enough to share any contact info for CAL.

no joy on the website.

blue skies everyone!!!

Hunter58
20th Mar 2012, 14:48
@zigzoggafus

In this case Caribbean is in a very strange situation. Usually operators who know about both the ATR and the Q400 see it the other way round. Sure it is not the lack of finances and the lure of Canadian Subventions that overshadows the technical aspects?

Vik_atpl
20th Mar 2012, 16:06
State owned airline no question in the availability of finances , the previous board of CAL made the contract for the ATR , this current board inherited it and always seemed to show more interest to the bombadier long before the ATR's were delivered.

"lure of Canadian Subventions" I like that haha:ok:

Arsenic
21st Mar 2012, 13:02
@ maksingh

The study material is available at the office of the CAA in Trinidad. They said it was only available as a hard copy (for the technical subjects), however the air law material is online.

Zigzoggafus
21st Mar 2012, 18:34
@ Hunter58,

HAHA!! Canadian subventions???????
I think the French have that market well and truly cornered!

The ATR's CAL got were the new ATR-72-600's. They're as yet unproven and it looks like they're turning out to be a fiasco for ATR. As Vik_atpl said, that deal was signed by the previous government and the new regime has always lent towards Bombardier.

Rumour has it that CAL has a Dash 8-400 on the way to TTPP to run some 'feasibility studies' on the Caracas service. Don't be surprised if it stays.......

Zigzoggafus
23rd Mar 2012, 02:28
Well from most accounts the ATR will be fine for the POS-TAB route but the plan is to run them up the islands as well as Caracas and even Suriname. That's where their performance will fall short. To keep them for the TAB service and get Q400's for everything else would be folly.
And the real problem is that they're breaking down regularly too. So might as well defer delivery of as many ATR's as you can and replace the fleet.

As far as all the fanfare on delivery, you'll find that's standard marketing practice with any airline.

diver-driver
28th Mar 2012, 14:58
so since the rumours are flying about switching back, does it mean CAL stop hiring? whats the deal?

Zigzoggafus
28th Mar 2012, 15:34
There are 4 new-hires in Toulouse finishing up the ATR course right now. All other hiring is on hold pending what decision is made on ATR/Q400.

BlueSkyLife
5th Apr 2012, 12:40
George Nicholas yesterday quit as chairman of State-owned Caribbean
Airlines over adverse comments by Transport Minister Devant Maharaj.:sad::D
Nicholas’ resignation letter was sent to Finance Minister Winston Dookeran
and the airline’s chief executive officer Robert Corbie.

His letter read in part: “Further to the MoT’s (Minister of Transport
Devant Maharaj) comments on my performance, a five out of ten in comparison
to other State boards on national television last night and other comments,
both written and in private, I have resigned with immediate effect today.”

Nicholas, in his brief letter, thanked Caribbean Airlines staff for “being
such an incredible team to work with.”:ugh::= Contacted yesterday Maharaj said if
Nicholas resigned because of comments the minister made on Monday night
that would be “truly disappointing” and he “expected better.”

Maharaj said Nicholas was taking his comments out of context and he
suggested the businessman “needs to take another look at the programme.”
The Transport Minister said he did not make any comments aimed at anybody
specifically, but, rather he made general comments about the performance of
all of the boards under his purview.

Apart from CAL, the Airport Authority, the Port Authority and the Civil
Aviation Authority report to Maharaj. He said he “gave all of the boards a
five out of ten because all of them have room for improvement. Further, it
is clear that all of the boards under my purview, inherited degrees of
neglect from the previous administration.”

Yesterday’s resignation was the latest in a series of events marking
Nicholas’ tenure as CAL chairman. Last year, Prime Minister Kamla
Persad-Bissessar chose to remove the transport portfolio from Works
Minister Jack Warner when calls were made for the chairman’s removal.

KRomero
10th Apr 2012, 16:45
Since there's no posts on how the CAL routine is, i'll write my experience with them as I suspect it'll go a really long way lol. I had to experience it to know the experience as there's no information online.

Well, I dropped my resume in at least a month earlier before I got the invite (which was posted in the newspaper the week i got it). I was told to come out to the Crown Plaza hotel. They had placed us from the first phone call invite into different groups. Mine had around 16 people. Mostly females. We sat in a small hall they had upstairs for some time with the others who had to come it for the other groups. While we sat, one by one we went over to the BMI scale. If you were too tall, too short, underweight, over weight, you got sent home at that point. The lady who did this test had nothing to do with the actual recruitment process, so do not fear her. However, be nice.

After we went over to a table where a woman and man took our files. They checked them to see if they were real and to make sure we had all the required documents. Then we were all seated again. Eventually my group of 16 candidates were called into another room. We had to introduce ourselves to a panel of 3 recruiters. From talking to other candidates, they kept changing these recruiters. So what one set likes, the other may not like. This one girl spoke for maybe close to one minute, shrugged her shoulders and said "i'm done" and she sat down. Obviously she got sent home. :=

But the minimum was around 2 minutes. Everyone else spoke for that long. Anyways, we were then called back into the hall. A lady called out the names of the ones who made it to the next rounds. The ones whose names were not called were sent home and told to wait for 6 months before reapplying.

At this stage, we were put through the aptitude test. This test consisted of mathematics, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, essay and information on the Caribbean Airline. Time = 1hour. (way too short) So make sure you impress them in the introductory stage.

Lo and behold, I got a call back for the next stage a week and a half later. They said this was going to the the one on one interview however, I was met by the same 3 ladies at the introductory stage. This interview lasted for 15 minutes. They had 3 scenarios where you had to literally act out and the typical interview questions. At this point, you need to be ready. You will have to prepare questions to ask them about the company. Its a fairly small table, so you will be sitting close to them, makeup has to be great. You have to look sharp and be professional.

I did not get the call back for the next stage after this but from what i can collect, they send you to the first part of the medical then send someone to your house to have a one on one hour long chat with you to know all about you and your family. Then a week later you do the 2nd part of the medical. Once you've passed these, you start your training a week later.

One thing about CAL is that they are VERY last minute. So once you get a call for anything, expect the deadline to be in 2 days. E.g. you get called Tuesday, your deadline would be the Thursday. So be prepared for all this.

I hope this helps some one out there.

Vik_atpl
12th Apr 2012, 23:55
Nice write up kRomero looks like an extensive process.

fly_by_faith
13th Apr 2012, 16:02
@ KRomero
Thanks for the insight :ok:

Kaely
3rd Mar 2013, 22:07
Hi I have and interview with cal on Tuesday can you give my a little more info like specifying some more things for me please

Arsenic
5th Mar 2013, 17:24
Is it for the ATR posting from SEP2012?

BlueSkyLife
30th Mar 2013, 10:11
Over $500 million losses, despite subsidy

IT’S official! Caribbean Airlines (CAL) is bankrupt! Word reaching TnT Mirror is that the Board has gone cap-inhand to borrow money from the Government to the tune of over $100 million. The money will allow the penniless airline to pay its staff’ and suppliers.

Mirror learnt that CAL, which is chaired by CEPEP contractor Rabindra Moonan, is over $500 million in the red and the situation could be worse were it not for the massive annual fuel subsidy from the Government.This subsidy is said to amount to just under $300 million and is a bone of contention with St. Vincent Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves who feels it gives the national airline unfair advantage over LIAT which is owned by several Caribbean governments.

The airline has not released its annual accounts for a number of years and in the past couple of years gobbled up a billion dollars left by the previous board.An industry source told Mirror: “The airline’s role in making possible intra-Caribbean travel for social and business purposes is critical and its absence would reduce the population of several small states to being virtual prisoners on their islands.

“However, the misdirection and mismanagement at CAL cannot go on. The Board and management have to be held accountable.Something needs to be done to put a competent and effective Board and management team in place to strategically manage the airline.”

Mirror was also asked to investigate claims that Board members were in the process of negotiating the purchase of an old aircraft from China. It is alleged that the deal has been placed on hold as questions were raised about the links between the China based company and certain high-ranking CAL officials.CAL staff are now on high alert as there is talk of a major restructuring.

Just last week, 15 flight attendant’s contracts at the Jamaica operation were not renewed. Clive Forbes, general manager of Caribbean Airlines in Jamaica, told Jamaica-based RJR News that the expiration of the contracts coincided with cost cutting measures at the airline.Mirror was told that the recently- appointed Chief Financial Officer Shiva Ramnarine has been looking carefully at the airline’s operations and how they could be streamlined to save money. It is alleged that CAL is also looking closely at the Jamaica operations which is said to be bleeding the company’s scarce resources.

Mirror understands that CAL is considering closing a call centre in Jamaica, which employs around 90 people, as calls can be easily rerouted and handled in Trinidad. It is alleged that other aspects of the Jamaica operations are being reviewed to determine what can be shut down or downsized. The Jamaica Government, which has its own issues, is not likely to take kindly to this move.Concerned employees who contacted the Mirror lamented: “How has the airline reached to this state? Now we are hearing about restructuring. It is unfair because many of us work very hard to keep this airline flying. The persons responsible for having us in this predicament are never the ones who are sent home when there is restructuring.”

The employees continued: “Look at CAL’s track record. In just six years there have been several incidents, including the Guyana crash. Pilots with low flying hours are being hired and promoted. These things never happened in BWIA, which is why BWIA’s safety record remained intact to the end.”Since the unceremonious dismissal of Ian Brunton as Chief Executive Officer of CAL in November 2010, the airline has been led by an acting CEO.

Many argue that the absence of a strategic leader coupled with a questionable Board of Directors has accelerated the demise of the airline. When the PP first came into power, CAL’s line ministry was shifted from the Ministry of Finance to the Ministry of Transport.After several public clashes between the then Minister Jack Warner and the Board, the airline was “returned” to the Ministry of Finance with the Minister of Finance as corporation sole.

Mirror is once again calling on Finance Minister Larry Howai to explain to the taxpayers of Trinidad and Tobago the exact state of affairs at CAL. As the ones funding the bailout, taxpayers have a right to know.
:ugh:

vram1
9th Apr 2013, 17:19
Hi KRomero,

Can you give me examples of the scenarios you were asked to act out and the interview questions? I know someone who has an interview and this will really help with her preparation. :)

Thanks.

Scott_T
18th Jun 2014, 10:16
hi all apparently carrabean airlines needs contractors for 6 months can anyone tell me what the roster is like on the NG and the pay etc if the contract will be commuting etc i would love 6 months in the carrabean.

BlueSkyLife
22nd Jun 2014, 16:10
What is going on with hiring? I am sure both bases need pilots. Does anyone here has new info on when and where hiring will take place?

7Q Off
23rd Jun 2014, 19:18
Count me for 6 months in the caribbean. :E