PDA

View Full Version : Damn keyboard... mutter..mutter

TBone
21st Nov 1999, 17:34
Right, folks - my turn to ask for help.

Under Win95/98 (tried them both), my keyboard will quite regularly lock-up. Nothing crashes, everything works, but the keyboard no longer functions.

I suspected it was something to do with the web-page extenstions for the desktop, but even a clean re-install to win95 without the explorer update does nothing to help.

I have one of those newer keyboards that has extra buttons for cd controls, quick-start buttons, etc etc, which require a driver to sit in the background to work. But even without these installed, it still locks up.

I remember chatting to someone about this problem and they mentioned it was quite a common problem and told me a fix, but I can't remember it at all..

Help !!

InFinRetirement
23rd Nov 1999, 22:42
TBone! 'me dear chap. You have given such good info to those of us in need. I have one or two suggestions.

See if the keyboard has an XT-AT switch stuffed away somewhere - if so change it to XT and re-boot.

Also, see if you have accidentally bent a pin while connecting, it happens as you know.

If neither works, it may be that you have duff board and it might be worth a trip back to whence it came.

Oh! Have a look in Device Manager to check that no question mark or exclamation mark is there.

Thats the best I can offer, not as succinct and good as your advice, but I do 'me best.

Hope it works anyway.

Take care.

TBone
25th Nov 1999, 19:19
Cheers for that - I tested some of your theories in DOS and windows, and the damn thing still locked up, so I have come to the conclusion that it is a basic intermittent conflict between this keyboard and the motherboard.

Shrugs :)

squeakmail
26th Nov 1999, 09:29
I hate it when that happens.

------------------
LIVE in peace...or REST in it!