PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 prohibits Office95

squeakmail
21st Nov 1999, 08:49
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH.

Sodding Microsoft done it to me again.

Short story is.....hard drive crashed, replaced it (and motherboard).

Had to install Windows98 for it all to work.

W98 wil now not let me reload Office95 onto hard drive.

Seems my Office95 CDRom is an upgrade that is only usable if you already have a lower specification programme already running.

I have long since discarded the original lower spec progs and only have the Office upgrade disc that will not load.

The answer from the store(s) is to buy a new $400 (£250) Office2000 programme.

Not my favourtite way forward - any ideas?

(I'd appreciate an e-mail as well as responses).

------------------
LIVE in peace...or REST in it!

TBone
21st Nov 1999, 17:29
Unfortunately, as you probably suspected, you cannot install from that disk without an original qualifying product. If, by chance, you noted the product code from your earlier disks or even better, registered it, Microsoft will send you a disk that Office95 will recognise.

I had a similar problem with my version of Office95 that came on floppies. Ugh. Hours and hours to load it and the master disk required you to uninstall properly. Like you, my machine crashed, I didn't do an uninstall and the data was not written to the master so it assumed it was a pirate copy.

I mailed Microsoft and much to my surprise, they were quite sympathetic and sent me a CD-ROM version with their apologies. I had registered the program, and there was no bother at all.

Failing that, find a sympathetic friend who has an older or full version. It's not piracy, and whilst not strictly within the letter of copyright law, I wouldn't feel guilty about it at all. You've paid for the products.

Cheers

Feline
21st Nov 1999, 22:45
squeakmail -- you might want to sidestep the dreaded empire altogether and take a look at StarOffice from Sun >http://www.sun.com/products/staroffice/ds-staroffice/>

Supposed to do most everything MS Office does but it's free! Only downside is that it's a 64Mb download (although I have a feeling that gets you versions for linux, OS/2, Win 9* and AppleMac). I have a (short) article on it - e-mail me if you'd like a copy.

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)