View Full Version : Mobile phone use Over Seas

farrari
12th Sep 2008, 02:25
What is the cheapest way to use your mobile over seas. I bought a sim card in America, at a good price, however whether I rang out local/os or people rang me the phone company charged me. Does any one have a better way :)

djpil
12th Sep 2008, 02:54
In the USA recently so I bought a sim card for my wife. Quite cheap from International Cell Phones, World Phones, SIM Cards, Satellite Phones (http://www.telestial.com/).
We were in the Rocky Mts a lot of the time where GSM coverage was apparently miserable so I bought some talk time from Silver Star Communications (http://www.silverstar.com/) and got a free CDMA phone with it - overall was a good deal but calls weren't cheap outside that area.

Lasiorhinus
12th Sep 2008, 05:31
Being charged for incoming calls is standard with American mobile phones. :yuk:

Land of the free, you know :ugh:

farrari
12th Sep 2008, 06:10
- any way around that

Lasiorhinus
12th Sep 2008, 06:13
Don't go to America.

Works for me :ok:

TWOTBAGS
12th Sep 2008, 08:41
After being on the road for the past decade I too have been looking for the "final solution"!

Answer, Buy a Nokia N95, put your company chip in it so when they call, they get your number.

Then load a program called Fring onto the phone which is a bridge program for Skype and use Skype out/in for all your internationals.

If that does not float your boat then the other answer is get a Samsung D880 dual sim phone. Most of our guys who are not so computer savvy do this.

First step is shop around at home for a contract that give you the best rates international roaming.

Second is like above, you load both your company and private sim cards into the phone with one sat as primary.

Works well and you can see who is calling on what number, to send on the other sime it takes a minute to switch primarys but its better than carrying 2 (or more) phones.

An example of this was, we went out to dinner last year as a crew and between 8 of us there were 15 phones sitting on the table! we did almost the same thing last week and there were 8 people and 9 phones.

:ok: