PDA

View Full Version : OOL minus the lights last night?

rexxxxxy
12th Sep 2008, 01:12
I heard a lightning strike knocked out all the lights @ OOL for a few hours last night. All aircraft forced to divert to BNE and couldn’t fly back in time to beat curfew?

VB had 3 BNE-OOL ferry flights this morning.

Buster Hyman
12th Sep 2008, 01:27
Okay, I'd appreciate if we'd have this sorted by Tuesday thanks. I've only got a week....:ok:

Server too busy
12th Sep 2008, 01:31
The storms were not forecast and caught quite few out.
Some were stuck on the ground until the lights were fixed just before curfew.
It would have been a good storyline for the movies..On final approach, lightning everywhere and the runways lights go out.....:eek:

vee1-rotate
12th Sep 2008, 06:17
had a look at the radar about 2200 last night and a monster cell just off the coast, some nice dark red and black blotches. DJ997 from MEL to OOL had an interesting night. Got to OOL or close to and then diverted to SYD for fuel. Apparently BNE took all other diversions and was chockas, so 997 returned to MEL after refuelling. Pax would have been fuming:ok:

Jabawocky
12th Sep 2008, 07:10
Got to OOL or close to and then diverted to SYD for fuel

So not able to get into BNE??

Even a short hold would be better than Sydney, so there must be a good reason for it I hope!

J

Capt Wally
12th Sep 2008, 07:20
welcome to QLD hey?:E Sounds like old 'Joe' is still at the controls of QLD's comings & goings !:}

Nothing worse than caught out by TS's, take the train next time:ok:

CW

vee1-rotate
12th Sep 2008, 07:27
yeah, had me a few others stumped as well...I'm guessing there must have been a very good reason for them not to even just stop off in BNE for fuel...but going MEL-OOL-SYD-MEL and not even getting to your destination would have to be a pain in the bum!

Eastwest Loco
12th Sep 2008, 09:45
Probably a dopey question, but hey - it is me after all.

What is wrong with dropping out a flarepath at the location of the cactus lighting units?

Have done that a couple of times at DPO when backup power failed.

The last one was memorable. Wilkie from AN and I were going flat out with the port of Devonport flares lit and on a baggage trolley.

The degoverned (guilty of removing the governor Your Honour) Toyota tug - 1600cc 12R Toyota pushrod engine was moving a little quick for the flare pots, and a few decent explosions, one of which singed Wilkie ensued.

Interesting night but both F27s that had been orbiting for 20 mins got in fine.

Just a simple action like that would have saved a mozza in this case.

Are flarepaths no longer legal?

Best all.

EWL

Buster Hyman
12th Sep 2008, 10:14
Insurance minefield I'd say LocoBloko...:rolleyes:

Stationair8
12th Sep 2008, 10:25
What about the T-Vasis, taxiway lighting and is anyone comptent to lay the flare-path?

I heard recently that OH&S people consider kerosene and flares to be unsafe and not to be used.

jamec
12th Sep 2008, 10:40
If it had been a qantas flight........:E

Eastwest Loco
12th Sep 2008, 11:03
Yes Buster - possibly IHS minefield, but my foot on the tug throttle was the main reason for the pyrotechnics.

Lit on site the flare would be safer, but I am not aware of the conditions that apply operating jet equipment into a field lit by flares.

I know it is done, but it may not now be legal for RPT above a given size.

Best regards

EWL

Marauder
12th Sep 2008, 11:04
And when you thought nothing else could happen, TIBA around Cooly last night.

If TFN and his side kick JH do not have the balls to resign, they should be sacked, before the Honorable (?) Minister is dragged down by this fiasco.

After all it is now Sept 12, well after TFN self proclaimed, "I've fixed it" date.

Muffinman
12th Sep 2008, 13:39
ahhh so that's what OOL stands for - Only One Lightset

make-mine-a-Coopers
12th Sep 2008, 15:11
No, Maurauder, it's not September 12...

According to TFN, the ATC staffing situation will be fixed 'by the end of August' and - as it obviously hasn't - a few time-keeping adjustments have been instigated.

In recognition of Airshambles' perpetually smirking CEO, the new 'Greg'orian calendar has been introduced, and it's actually August 43rd.

mmaC

ozangel
12th Sep 2008, 15:44
Not sure what they used, but I remember one night in 2005 in Mt Isa, being delayed an hour for departure, as the lights had failed, and portable lighting had to be set up. I watched the process from the airstairs. The aircraft was an F100, operating an RPT flight. At first it was novel to watch the car make its way down the runway, one by one, side by side, lighting it up. This quickly changed, as the fuel status of the two circling aircraft (a metro and a cessna) became apparent.

That said, maybe the people at OOL thought they could sort it out faster...

Sunstar320
12th Sep 2008, 22:50
There were also two Tigers stuck there at OOL. Was there room over there at T3?

turbantime
13th Sep 2008, 05:24
First hand info on DJ997....Bne was ruled out by operations as the ramp area in Bne was full and could not handle any more flights. A/C had to go to Syd to refuel...pax not allowed off because the next 2 morning services out of Syd-Ool also were cancelled. In the end...it was all the way back to Mel!

tasdevil.f27
13th Sep 2008, 12:29
The curfew at OOL was extended by 30 minutes, A Jetstar flight got out with 1 minute to spare.

greenslopes
13th Sep 2008, 22:18
Mufinman............Gold, pure Gold!

Capt Wally
14th Sep 2008, 01:45
The whole thing is just crazy, we fly around curfews etc like we are walking on eggs, heaven 'elp the boffins who make the stupid rules if a big burner goes in & it can be traced back to something like "they would have made it if it wasn't for the curfew" !:bored:
As mentioned use flare paths if needed & the Wx is acceptable, have we all become that politically correct? the world is going troppo with ruels etc:bored:

CW

AngelOfMusic
14th Sep 2008, 03:52
Trouble is, should a curfew be a contributing factor in a major crash, there will be no 'boffin' to take any blame - their industry is one of faceless decisions.

Curfews, eh :mad:

Anyone who complains about airport noise, who bought their house after the airport opened, should be prohibited from travelling on aircraft in this country. Yes, residents of Grayndler, this includes you. Or at the very least, prohibited from operating their cars between sunset and sunrise.

amberale
14th Sep 2008, 09:32
Folks I believe the problem with breaking curfews is financial only.

I was on BN App that night and my major concern was that the BN main runway was due to go OOS and there were aircraft holding in the CH area waiting for YBCG to open and potentialy unaware that BN may have a 25 minute recall on runway availability.
I can guarantee that if you say "I require..." or use the terms "mercy flight" or "fuel critical" you will get ANYTHING you need including waking up the RAAF at AMB[done it before].
The problem is if you break a curfew the company might have to pay a potentially huge fine.
The pressure is on you chaps and chappettes to decide how much you need to land at a particular airfield at a particular time.

Good luck and, please, just ask who knows we might be able to help.

AA

Stationair8
14th Sep 2008, 23:25
**** any curfew, safety is #1 priority.

FlexibleResponse
15th Sep 2008, 12:39
Flares? We used kerosene lanterns or car headlights in the old days!

And I don't mean halogen/xenon headlights. You'd be lucky to get 6 volt Morris Minor headlights!

Starts with P
15th Sep 2008, 15:58
"Curfew in Operation, financial penalties may apply. Advise"

clark y
16th Sep 2008, 11:06
Starts with P,
doesn't Adelaide atis have that statement at night.

Just to remind us of the commercial pressures.