PDA

View Full Version : Ike

Crepello
11th Sep 2008, 22:20
Didn't see a thread for the latest system so if I may: A question for more seasoned veterans of storm-prone areas:

The soon-to-be-Mrs Crepello will be weathering Ike in Brazoria County (myself being away on business - poor planning but hindsight's 20/20). Heard earlier that if a window blows out, it's wise to open/break a window on the other side of the house, as the pressure build-up during intense winds is enough to liberate the roof. I was sceptical so looked online; all I could find was sales pitches for various 'hurricane windows'. So, can anyone say if this is truth or hysteria?

Can imagine it would be a tough call, as you don't want to be walking near windows in a storm-battered house... but if the structure is endangered then that risk may be greater.

Cheers folks - and safe wishes to all in the threatened areas.

C.

con-pilot
11th Sep 2008, 22:38
It is looking really bad for Galveston and the bay area. We have good friends who live near NASA. They have already left heading to Dallas.

As for the window issue all I can tell you that for years that opening windows and door was the recommendation during possible tornado strikes. This has now been changed to keep all windows and doors closed. If a window blows out, do not attempt to open any other windows or doors for a couple of reasons. First and foremost is safety, if you are sheltered in a safe area in your house do not leave that area to open anything as you will expose yourself to the forces that blew the window open in the first place. Secondly is structural integrity, the more opening in a modern day house the less integrity it has. Cover your windows with metal shutters or nail wood panels over the windows.

Good luck.

Crepello
11th Sep 2008, 22:48
con-pilot many thanks for the info. Interesting that the advice has moved from 'open the house' to 'close everything' - this would explain the rumour. Your explanation makes perfect sense.

Hope your friends had/are having a smooth journey to Dallas. Heard the I-45 northbound was heavy earlier but is flowing quite freely right now. Let's cross our fingers, hope the eastbound shifts continue, and that the damage is tolerable when they return.

con-pilot
11th Sep 2008, 22:52
Hope your friends had/are having a smooth journey to Dallas. Heard the I-45 northbound was heavy earlier but is flowing quite freely right now. Let's cross our fingers, hope the eastbound shifts continue, and that the damage is tolerable when they return.

They cheated, he has a very nice Twin Bonanza in excellent shape, so they flew to Dallas. He and his wife, two dogs and three cats.

Crepello
11th Sep 2008, 22:55
two dogs and three cats
Heh - hope the Bonanza was still in excellent shape by the time he landed. :ok:

Matari
11th Sep 2008, 23:31
Crepello:

The soon-to-be-Mrs Crepello will be weathering Ike in Brazoria CountyYou might double check the mandatory evacuation zones on the map below. Just need her Zip code and you can see if she should be headed for higher land.

I'd recommend San Antonio...get a flight down and join her for a quiet weekend there.

http://www.khou.com/images/0808/evacuationroutemap.jpg

I am in Northern Houston, so we're not evacuating but will weather the storm at home--shelter in place as they say.

My biggest concern will be the rain, it will be relentless for a few days. The wind will knock out the power as well, and if any of you have ever been on the Texas gulf coast in Aug-September, lack of air conditioning here is not pleasant.

Other than that, we've prepared as best we can.

Crepello
12th Sep 2008, 13:01
Matari,

Thanks for thinking of that aspect. Our house is in a part of Pearland that's within the zone C zipcodes, but the city has been exempted from the county's mandatory evac. Herself will hunker down with several neighbours, supplies for a week, generator, etc. so it's now a question of seeing what the next 24h will bring.

Let's continue to hope for that the most populous areas are spared the worst, and that power can be restored before too long. Be safe.

angels
12th Sep 2008, 13:45
Good luck to all the folks out there. Take care.

ORAC
12th Sep 2008, 16:30
CNN: Hurricane Ike Warning - Flee or Die!!

HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) -- Floodwaters surged into Galveston Island neighborhoods Friday morning with the center of Hurricane Ike still more than 200 miles from landfall.....

On Galveston Island, waves washed for blocks inland, the beginning of a storm surge that forecasters warned could reach up to 22 feet and bring "certain death" to anyone who remained in Galveston Bay homes........

Forecasters expect Ike, a Category 2 storm, to strengthen before its center makes landfall late Friday or early Saturday. Winds upward of 100 mph may reach the Texas coast by midnight, the hurricane center warned.

The storm is so big that it fills most of the Gulf of Mexico.

Although the weather service reports when a hurricane's center will hit land, it also says that the worst of the storm can hit before or after that. Roughly 3.5 million people live in the storm's impact zone, according to federal estimates.

The weather service painted a vivid picture in its warning of the destruction it expects: a towering wall of water crashing over the Galveston Bay shoreline as the brunt of Ike comes ashore. That wall of water could send floodwaters surging into Houston, more than 20 miles inland.

"All neighborhoods ... and possibly entire coastal communities ... will be inundated during the peak storm tide," the weather service warned. "Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single-family one- or two-story homes will face certain death."

But farther inland, 4 million Houston-area residents were told to hunker down and stay home. "We are only evacuating areas subject to a storm surge," said Harris County Judge Ed Emmett, the county's chief executive officer. "Yes, we know you will lose electricity. But you're not in danger of losing your life, so stay put."

Forecasters find Hurricane Ike so intimidating because of where they expect it to land -- near Galveston Island, just south of Houston. The city of Galveston is on the island. If that happens -- hurricane tracks are hard to predict and subject to change -- the storm's counter-clockwise rotation would push water into Galveston Bay for hour upon hour, battering sea walls and structures.

The final storm surge, the one that could exceed 20 feet in height, would come as the hurricane's eye crosses the shoreline........

Ike’s damage could rival Katrina’s, CNN forecaster says (http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/12/ikes-damage-could-rival-katrinas-cnn-forecaster-says/)

(CNN) — Hurricane Ike could cause damage to a broader area than Hurricane Katrina, a meteorologist said Friday.

CNN’s Jacqui Jeras noted that Katrina’s winds extended outward about 200 miles, while Ike’s on Friday morning extended up to 275 miles. However, the wind field isn’t always symmetrical, so the impact isn’t the same on all sides, she added.

Katrina made landfall August 29, 2005, as a Category 3 storm with 127 mph winds between Grand Isle, Louisiana, and the mouth of the Mississippi River.

The storm, which killed more than 1,800 people, devastated more than 90,000 square miles and led to the displacement of 270,000 Americans. It inflicted over $81 billion in damages.

Crepello
12th Sep 2008, 16:47
CNN International were true to form, comparing Ike to the Galveston storm of 1900 and reminding us that 8,000 people perished. Useless comparison given what's been learned since then, but irresponsible journalism seems to sell. :mad:

Google 'Houston news' for the city newspaper. Their in-house blogger, SciGuy, reports the facts, offers scientific analysis, but avoids the hype and uninformed speculation that plague other sources.

ORAC
12th Sep 2008, 16:59
Blame the National Weather Service. The BBC has picked up on the same report - 'Certain death' warning over Ike (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7612106.stm)

Loose rivets
12th Sep 2008, 19:03
Mmmm...One was forewarned yesterday. Came home and me hose had burst, flooding a flowerbed and wetting the only window I'd cleaned since getting back.

You may think I sound callas. Nope, really just wondering how folk will do here -- on the Southern edge of Ike. My neighbor's dog will have to come in I suppose, fleas an all. Fat chance that he's get in his own house. Then there's the thousands of folk that have no money...at all. None. Not a cent. There are buses, but they would lightly find themselves on a trip to Mexico...or jail when it's all over. So many are not supposed to be here. So they'll hide, and technically One is not supposed to help them. If GW has his way, you'll go to jail for helping them. But we will anyway. Well, that's if we can get 100 yards down the road when it hits.

I'll try to find the second-long run of pix from space. Some of the cloud formations on the SW corner of the disc are somewhat worrying. And I'm the only one that usually doesn't bother with sandbagging me door, let alone boarding up me windows. Hope I'm wrong, but this is a biggun, and the angry bits are on our corner.

EDIT: Well, I've just looked at it again.

Tropical Floater Four Visible Imagery - Satellite Services Division (http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t4/loop-vis.html)

And the area west of the disc is, to my surprise and relief, dissipating considerably. Turning the prog to slow, and clicking it one step at a time, there is a point about 2/3rds of the time where there were substantial clouds of --my guess from the film-- huge vertical extent, and they were the ones I had become concerned about.

Meanwhile in Galveston. A bloke who photographs these things took one look at the 15' waves coming over the defenses, and beat a hasty retreat.

"It's what I do...but I'm not hanging around for this one."

CityofFlight
12th Sep 2008, 19:15
Stay safe LR!

Loose rivets
12th Sep 2008, 19:28
Thanks, but it really looks chalk and cheese to the image of 3 hours ago.

It's hard to realize just how big this storm is. A t.v company overlaid it on Texas. the outer disc practically filled the state. (It takes me about 14 hours to drive to the N boundary at highway speeds.)

seacue
12th Sep 2008, 23:48
Don't know whether this radar imaged will update or not:

http://images.intellicast.com/WeatherImg/Radar/msy.gif

also

NWS radar image from Houston/Galveston, TX (http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=hgx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no)

nahsuD
12th Sep 2008, 23:52
Is Indonesian Navy sending a battle group or two into the Caribbean Sea to be ready to help the victims of Ike? Are the French sending troops of borderless doctors to treat the injured. Are UNDP and other UN agencies organizing the relief effort that will be needed after Ike hits?

Just asking, because you know if the tables were turned everyone would be asking if Americans are doing the same...

CityofFlight
13th Sep 2008, 00:11
Everything I'm able to access in the way of WX images indicates this is one hell of a storm. I have dear friends that live in the area and have not been able to get a response from any of them as to seeking higher ground, proactive steps, etc.

LR or anyone in the area... if you're able to keep us updated, please do so. There are many of us with one tie or another to Texas and Louisianna.

Stay safe and may God keep you well. :ok:

con-pilot
13th Sep 2008, 00:24
We have another friend that lives near Clear Lake. He is staying. He has a large two story house that is well built and a generator powered by natural gas that can supply the entire house with power, including running the air-conditioner.

However, I pointed out to him that the generator will not do him much good if it is under ten feet of water.

Hopefully we will hear from him tomorrow sometime.

Matari
13th Sep 2008, 00:27
City of Flight:

LR or anyone in the area... if you're able to keep us updated, please do so.I'll try to keep a play-by-play going, as long as we have power, that is.

I've weathered a few of these, but this one is coming straight at us. Those in S-SW part of Harris County will probably fare best, as long as they are not near the expected surge zone.

Up in the North, we'll probably feel the hurricane force winds from about midnight to 07:00 , with lots of rain to follow. Right now (19:30 local) the trees are swaying and light rain falling...with beautiful clouds racing by overhead.

The neighbors and I shared wood and duct tape this morning, and compared the quantity of our beer stashes and ice supplies. We're as ready as we can be.

Here's a good article:

Hurricane Ike Begins to Batter Texas Coastline - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122122533911027873.html?mod=googlenews_wsj)

If there is anything or anyone in particular you are worried about, PM me and I can see what I can dig up.

More to come.

con-pilot
13th Sep 2008, 00:29
From another website.

Here are the current changes:
IAH was added to the list of ATC-0 airports.
Expanded Track Info.
Updated Route Info.
Update Misc. Info.

According to the National Hurricane Center Advisory #47A issued at
1800CDT/2300z:

AT 600 PM CDT...2300Z...THE CENTER OF VERY LARGE HURRICANE IKE WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 28.2 NORTH...LONGITUDE 93.8 WEST OR ABOUT 100
MILES...160 KM...SOUTHEAST OF GALVESTON TEXAS AND ABOUT 105 MILES ...170
KM...SOUTH OF BEAUMONT TEXAS.

IKE HAS BEEN MOVING BETWEEN THE WEST-NORTHWEST AND NORTHWEST NEAR 13
MPH...20 KM/HR. A NORTHWEST MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE TONIGHT WITH
A TURN TOWARD THE NORTH EXPECTED ON SATURDAY. ON THE FORECAST
TRACK...THE CENTER OF IKE WILL BE VERY NEAR THE UPPER TEXAS COAST BY
LATER THIS EVENING OR EARLY SATURDAY MORNING.

DATA FROM NOAA DOPPLER WEATHER RADARS AND RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT
INDICATE IKE HAS BECOME BETTER ORGANIZED...AND MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS
HAVE NOW INCREASED TO NEAR 110 MPH...175 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. IKE
IS A STRONG CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE AND COULD
REACH THE TEXAS COAST AS A CATEGORY THREE...MAJOR HURRICANE. STRONGER
WINDS...ESPECIALLY IN STRONGER GUSTS...ARE LIKELY ON HIGH RISE
BUILDINGS.

IKE REMAINS A VERY LARGE HURRICANE AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND
OUTWARD UP TO 120 MILES...195 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM
FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 275 MILES...445 KM.

*****TRACK INFO*****
There seems to be no doubt left as to the path of IKE, only to see how
long it maintains hurricane force winds. The outer bands have already
made contact with the shore of Texas at Galveston and are working their
way inland. IKE Is a very strong, very large Category 2 Hurricane.
It's only 3mph shy of being a Category 3 at this time. We are already
seeing tornado watches associated with the outer bands. The eye will
make landfall into the evening. The eye is bringing with it a storm
surge of between 20 and 25 feet spanning an area of almost 60 miles in
diameter. IKE is expected to maintain hurricane strength winds near the
eye through noon tomorrow, at which time it will be within 100 miles of
Dallas. That is about the same time it is expected to change directions
to the northeast and become a tropical storm. This storm is also
expected to drop significant amounts of rain up to 10 to 15 inches in
some places.

*****AIRPORT INFO*****
BPT - ATC-0, CLOSED.
GLS - ATC-0, CLOSED.
SGR - ATC-0, CLOSED.
LCH - ATC-0.
NEW - ATC-0.
HOU - ATC-0.
IAH - ATC-0.
DWH - ATC-0.
CWF - ATC-0.
EFD - ATC-0.

*****ROUTE INFO*****
ZHU ADVISES THAT B753 AND A766 ARE UNUSABLE DUE TO HURRICANE IKE.
ALL OTHER ROUTES THROUGH THE GULF OF MEXICO ARE OPEN AND USUABLE.
UPDATES WILL BE PROVIDED AS CONDITIONS WARRANT.

*****MISC INFO*****
The TFR NOTAM 8/8051 is the revised version of 8/8038 due to a change in
contact information.
Houston Center will be manned overnight. At this time they are not
planning to evacuate. The contingency plan is for Houston Tracon to run
Houston Center airspace, although they are not expecting a large amount
of air traffic.
Also, many of the radars in the area will be turned off and set to spin
freely in the wind in order to avoid damage. Again, due to the lack of
traffic in this area this is expected to have minimal impact at this
time and should allow them to get the radar facilities back online
fairly quickly once the hurricane passes.

User should expect the TFR (8/8051) to be in place longer for IKE than
it was for GUSTAV. Due to uncertainty over the track, the evacuation
was not as complete as it was for GUSTAV and therefore more extensive
rescue and recovery operations are being expected along with a larger
area in which to assess damage.

ATC-0 means no air traffic service.

CityofFlight
13th Sep 2008, 00:32
Thanks Con!

Crepello
13th Sep 2008, 00:40
Latest:

- Landfall expected as Cat.2 hurricane. Wind strength less than worst-case fears, however sheer size of the storm likely to produce significant surge and flooding.
- Stormiest conditions expected between 11pm - 7am Central.
- Looks better than feared for Houston metro overall, but catastrophic for Galveston and other coastal areas.
- Many areas south of the city have declared curfews. Power outages in some areas; landlines & cellular holding up better.

CoF hopefully lack of contact from your friends isn't cause for immediate concern; possible they just haven't had time to check email: Rita experiences showed citywide evacuations to be unworkable, so most folks are sheltering in place except in low-lying areas. Many businesses stayed open until COB Thursday, leaving Friday for final preparations... which I hear were rushed, but efficient. Hopefully you'll get good news soon.

CityofFlight
13th Sep 2008, 00:47
Crepello... thanks for the info and hope you're able to give us continued updates. I'm guessing that cell phone use might be up as well, as I've left v/mails and e-mails.

Stay safe.

Matari
13th Sep 2008, 00:53
City of Flight:

Cell networks are up, and power still on in most of Harris County.

Gusts of wind >40 - 50 mph tossing the pines around a bit. Windows will start singing in a couple of hours. Got the 100-mph tape all over the place.

seacue
13th Sep 2008, 00:58
WX Bureau says storm only a very few MPH below Cat 3 level..
"Major hurricane" = Cat 3

WTNT44 KNHC 130259
TCDAT4
HURRICANE IKE DISCUSSION NUMBER 48
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL092008
1100 PM EDT FRI SEP 12 2008

A PLETHORA OF DATA FROM NOAA DOPPLER WEATHER RADARS...NOAA AND AIR
FORCE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT...AND SATELLITE IMAGERY ALL INDICATE
THAT THE STRUCTURE OF IKE HAS IMPROVED MARKEDLY OVER THE PAST 6
HOURS...AND A 40 NMI DIAMETER EYE HAS BECOME PROMINENT. THE LOWEST
PRESSURE REPORTED BY RECON HAS BEEN 952 MB. DOPPLER RADAR
VELOCITIES IN THE NORTHERN EYEWALL AT 6500 FT HAVE BEEN AS HIGH AS
114 KT...AND A DROPSONDE IN THAT SAME AREA MEASURED A PEAK WIND
VALUE OF 116 KT. MAXIMUM FLIGHT-LEVEL WINDS AT 700 MB HAVE RANGED
FROM 103-105 KT...AND A RELIABLE SFMR SURFACE WIND SPEED OF 90 KT
WAS MEASURED IN THE SOUTHERN EYEWALL AROUND 0140Z. ALL OF THIS
INFORMATION CORRESPONDS TO A MAXIMUM SURFACE WIND SPEED ESTIMATE OF
95 KT.

THE LARGE EYE OF IKE HAS BEEN WOBBLING CONSIDERABLY OVER THE PAST 6
HOURS...BUT A GENERAL MOTION OF 315/10 SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN THE
PREFERRED DIRECTION OF TRAVEL. SHORT TERM EXTRAPOLATION WOULD PLACE
THE CENTER OF IKE ALONG GALVESTON ISLAND AND/OR THE UPPER-TEXAS
COAST SHORTLY BEFORE SUNRISE SATURDAY MORNING. AFTER LANDFALL...IKE
IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE MOVING AROUND THE WESTERN PERIPHERY OF A
SUBTROPICAL RIDGE SITUATED EAST-WEST ALONG THE NORTHERN GULF COAST
AND TURN NORTHWARD IN ABOUT 12-18 HOURS...AND THEN RECURVE RAPIDLY
TO THE NORTHEAST BY 24 HOURS AHEAD OF A FAST APPROACHING FRONTAL
SYSTEM. BY 36-48 HOURS...IKE MAY BECOME ABSORBED BY THE FRONTAL
SYSTEM OVER THE UPPER MIDWEST. THE OFFICIAL FORECAST TRACK IS
ESSENTIALLY JUST AN UPDATE OF THE PREVIOUS TRACK...AND IS DOWN THE
MIDDLE OF THE TIGHTLY CLUSTERED NHC MODEL GUIDANCE.

IKE STILL HAS ABOUT A 6-HOUR WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY TO STRENGTHEN
INTO A 100-KT MAJOR HURRICANE. EQUALLY IMPORTANT...HOWEVER...IS THE
EFFECT THAT STRONGER WINDS ALOFT WILL HAVE ON HIGH RISE BUILDINGS.
WIND DATA FROM LAND-BASED DOPPLER RADARS AND AIRCRAFT DROPSONDES
INDICATE THAT WINDS NEAR CATEGORY 4 STRENGTH...115 KT OR 130 MPH
...EXIST JUST A FEW HUNDRED FEET ABOVE THE SURFACE. THERE COULD BE A
REPEAT OF DAMAGE TO WINDOWS IN HIGH RISE STRUCTURES SIMILAR TO WHAT
OCCURRED DURING HURRICANE ALICIA IN 1983. THE PEAK WIND SPEED AND
VARIOUS WIND RADII WERE HELD HIGHER THAN OUR INLAND WIND DECAY
MODELS ARE PREDICTING DUE TO THE MUCH LARGER SIZE OF IKE.

ONE SHOULD EMPHASIZE THAT IKE IS A VERY LARGE HURRICANE AND
REGARDLESS OF WHERE THE CENTER OF THE HURRICANE MAKES LANDFALL...THE
EFFECTS WILL BE FELT AT LARGE DISTANCES FROM THE CENTER. IN
ADDITION...THE LARGEST STORM SURGE WILL OCCUR WITHIN THE ONSHORE
FLOW NEAR OR JUST AFTER LANDFALL. WATER LEVELS HAVE ALREADY RISEN
MORE THAN 9 TO 12 FEET ACROSS A LARGE AREA OF THE NORTHWESTERN GULF
OF MEXICO...INCLUDING GALVESTON ISLAND.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL 13/0300Z 28.6N 94.4W 95 KT
12HR VT 13/1200Z 30.3N 95.4W 70 KT...INLAND
24HR VT 14/0000Z 33.2N 95.3W 35 KT...INLAND
36HR VT 14/1200Z 36.6N 92.3W 30 KT...BECOMING EXTRATROPICAL
48HR VT 15/0000Z 40.5N 86.0W 25 KT...EXTRATROPICAL INLAND
72HR VT 16/0000Z...ABSORBED BY A FRONTAL ZONE

$$
FORECASTER STEWART/BLAKE/BERG

Edited to Update NHC Discussion.

Crepello
13th Sep 2008, 00:58
CoF you're right about cellphones - mine (a 281 number on AT&T's GSM network) has had more misdials than usual and VM is playing up, so I gather the system's well loaded... but still operational.

Centerpoint just reported 164,000 without power in the southern metro areas. Good to hear Harris is faring better Matari, long may the lights keep burning :ok:

Loose rivets
13th Sep 2008, 01:13
Thanks for the PM C of F, but I'm feeling a bit of a fraud down here right now. All pumped up with nowhere to put me energy.

I'm very mindful of the folk up the coast a bit. Even at South Padre where we swim, they say that vehicles left on the beach are being damaged. They showed a picture of an SUV being smashed to pieces as it was sinking. :ugh:

One thing I guess, is the dissipation of energy as it hit the coast. It really did show a modified cloud formation on the edge that crossed. I hope at least that it will reduce the power before going over HOU.

RatherBeFlying
13th Sep 2008, 02:35
NHC is predicting a 20' storm surge with 25' in some places.

Compare that to the 15.7' storm surge in the 1900 hurricane.

Matari
13th Sep 2008, 03:22
Wind is picking up here in the piney woods north of Houston. Topping 50mph at IAH. No rain yet, but by midnight we'll be drenched.

As long as power is still on, I've been researching the "Hurricane Hunters," that courageous bunch of guys and gals who fly planes into eyes of hurricanes.

Seems the idea started on a bet--probably for a beer--between British and Texan pilots on the Gulf Coast during WWII. From Wikipedia... (hope it is true, 'cause it is a great story):The 1943 Surprise Hurricane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1943_Surprise_Hurricane), which struck Houston, Texas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston,_Texas) during World War II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II), marked the first intentional meteorological flight into a hurricane. It started with a bet.
That summer, British pilots were being trained in instrument flying at Bryan Field (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campus_of_Texas_A%26M_University#Riverside_Campus). When they saw that the Americans were evacuating their AT-6 Texan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-6_Texan) trainers in the face of the storm, they began questioning the construction of the aircraft. Lead instructor Colonel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel) Joe Duckworth (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Joe_Duckworth_%28aviator%29&action=edit&redlink=1) took one of the trainers out, and flew it straight into the eye of the storm. After he returned safely with navigator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_officer) Lt. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieutenant) Ralph O'Hair (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ralph_O%27Hair&action=edit&redlink=1), the base's weather officer, Lt. William Jones-Burdick (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=William_Jones-Burdick&action=edit&redlink=1), took over the navigator's seat and Duckworth flew into the storm a second time.
This flight showed that hurricane reconnaissance flights were possible, and further flights continued on an irregular basis. In 1946, the moniker “Hurricane Hunters” was first used, and the Air Force and now Air Force Reserve have used it ever since.
Hurricane Hunters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Hunters)
and..
Hurricane Hunters Association (http://www.hurricanehunters.com/)

seacue
13th Sep 2008, 06:48
I have updated p**t #24 in this thread.

Crepello
13th Sep 2008, 07:29
Thanks seacue.

Current headlines:
- News channels reporting that skyscrapers may experience Cat. 4 winds on floor levels "above 20 or 30" - possibly based on the NHC release in P#24.
- CenterPoint report 1.3 million now without power, higher across the region
- Estimated 20,000 folks stranded on Galveston Island. The omens cannot be good.
- Brennan's restaurant in midtown Houston reportedly destroyed in a transformer fire.

On a brighter note, minimal reports of inland structural damage... but I feel for the souls on the coast.

merlinxx
13th Sep 2008, 09:08
abc13.com: Houston News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports (http://www.abc13.com)

Um... lifting...
13th Sep 2008, 21:36
SURFSIDE BEACH, Texas — Ray Wilkinson sat with his feet propped on the railing of his front porch Saturday, calmly dragging on a Marlboro Light as reporters asked whether he considered himself brave for being the only person to ride out Hurricane Ike on this spit of sand.

"I consider myself to be stupid," Wilkinson, 67, spat through a thick, tobacco-stained beard. "I'm just tired of running from these things. If it's going to get you, it's going to get you. ...
"I didn't say I had all my marbles, OK."
The retired carpenter and former Marine insists he's never stayed for a hurricane that was coming at him. He says he fully intended to leave when police issued a mandatory evacuation. But the friend who was supposed to give him a ride went for a last-minute run to the store and couldn't get back.
Mayor Larry Davison said city officials were told Wilkinson had left. But as they retreated from the flooded streets Friday, they saw him waving from the porch of the teal-colored stilt duplex he rents.
When Davison came back Saturday, he was shocked and relieved to see Wilkinson waving from the same spot, a tattered American flag flapping from the wall beside him.
"He kind of drank his way through the night," Davison said.
Wilkinson _ dressed only in shorts, tennis shoes and a ball cap _ said he sat on the porch the entire time as the house swayed as much as 10 inches. He watched debris float by _ cars, stairs and refrigerators, "my own being one of 'em, damn it."
"You all bring beer?" he asked reporters.
Wilkinson said he came to Surfside Beach 30 years ago after a colon cancer diagnosis.
"I was supposed to be done with 10, 12 years ago _ longer than that, actually," he said. "I pretty well can guess this is where I'm going to go. That's what I came down here for."
Just as with the cancer, he figures it wasn't his time to go.

Crepello
14th Sep 2008, 05:36
Widespread power outages being addressed but over a million still dark. Anyone flying to/thru Houston, be advised that Continental have cancelled all IAH Sunday ops and Southwest canx all HOU Sunday and Monday.

seacue
14th Sep 2008, 11:42
Both Google Earth and Google Maps have the Street View feature with pictures of Surfside Beach, TX, before the storm. I drove down their main road about a decade ago and was impressed on how low and flat the land was. Almost all the houses were on stilts, though debris could knock out the underpinning. They were very fortunate to have been on the "easy" side of Ike.

Ace Rimmer
15th Sep 2008, 07:38
TX Rimmers report that Aunty Rimmer nos 1 & 2's houses (both in Clear lake) suffered only light damage while they rode out the storm at JSC. However as of yesterday the condition of Aunty Rimmer no3's house on Tiki Island was hard to assess since I45 was still blocked/flooded down by the causeway. But the prognosis is not good. (Tiki island rises a massive 2-3ft above MSL).