By Ed Macy,

Anyone read the whole book yet?

What are your comments about it?

meat bomb
12th Sep 2008, 00:30
Just finished it, worth a read.

Mister-T
12th Sep 2008, 07:28
I know Ed and he is a good guy who wears his heart on his sleeve. He has put an enormous amount of effort into making the book as good a read as possible and spent a lot of money along the way.

jimgriff
12th Sep 2008, 07:40
I've just finished it and enjoyed the book. IMHO could become a classic.
I've just started "APACHE DAWN" which came out the same week and actually starts with the Jugrum fort rescue story.
I know that names and everything need to be changed for security reasons but one would almost think that the two accounts were talking of different events!
Different callsigns, different ranks for crews, different times...... the list goes on a tad.

birrddog
13th Sep 2008, 06:47
Just finished the book yesterday.

It was a great read.

One thing that was an eye opener was the insight into the complexities of being an apache pilot, going far beyond the ability of being able to control 3-dimensional flight controls.

The multi-tasking seems like an incredible workload.

Hats off to those privileged enough to have a go at it.

Who's up for a round of Apache Trivia? I'll start the kettle...

jimgriff
13th Sep 2008, 17:32
Enjoyed the fact that many Apache pilots can use their eyes independantly!!
Bit like that guy in the deoderant advert on TV then....:\

Sloppy Link
21st Sep 2008, 06:55
I can go one better than that, I can wink with both eyes......at the same time!

Also read the book, A1.

RAFEmployee
21st Sep 2008, 21:18
Cheers, I've bought the hard back.
Read it when ever I get spare time.
Seems a good book.
Thanks

UglyOneOne
22nd Sep 2008, 15:12
Brilliant book! Reading it atm. Bow down to him and the author of Apache Dawn. Both excellent reads. Well worth the prices!

EyesFront
22nd Sep 2008, 16:06
I read all three of the recent Afghanistan books (Ed Macy, Apache Dawn and Joint Force Harrier) a couple of weeks ago, and can thoroughly recommend all of them. The Ed Macy book is a real page-turner, and gives the reader as good a description as you'll get about what it actually feels like to work in the cockpit of an Apache. Moving on to Apache Dawn, it was initially disconcerting to find the same call signs being used by different crews - until you realise that they're not describing the same period of time, and that authors have in any case chosen different noms de guerre for the crews. Apache Dawn is also well written, with compelling descriptions of the events and work of all participants.

Joint Force Harrier is equally interesting. Perhaps it doesn't put the reader "into the cockpit" quite as effectively as the Apache books, but the description of air support for in-theatre operations is compelling and consistent with the other two books and the author's role as unit commander adds another dimension to the book.

See also this thread, slipping into the oblivion of page 5...

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/341559-these-afghanistan-books.html

Boxer42
22nd Sep 2008, 18:47
Have literally just finished reading Joint Force Harrier and thoroughly enjoyed it. Would just like to point out to the author, who I know frequents this site, that the Halo is an Mi-26 not -24. Sorry, that's just the spotter in me!

Just about to read Apache Dawn, managed to get an autographed copy whilst on a visit to Wattisham last week. Having seen previous comments I'm really looking forward to it.

Credit to all the guys and gals who have been involved in ops out there.

stiknruda
24th Sep 2008, 09:52
Started it at 1745 last night and just could not put it down, finished it in time for the 10 o'clock news.

Good read. Would love some "shammy" (sic) leather flying gloves! There appeared to be a tiny problem with hyphenation in the hard back version but neither of these tiny issues detracted from a cracking read.

Brave, brave people - all of them.

Stik

the_flying_cop
25th Sep 2008, 23:15
most fascinating book i have read for a long time.

i also think that it is a massive eye opener for joe public (like me) to get a bit more of an insight into how you lot in the sandpit have to deal with things that we would never even dream of.

i think the main point for me, was that it brought home just how tragic each loss of life is over there. its almost glossed over in the media, and you dont get any feel for the folks at the sharp end.

once more i raise my hat to all of you, and extend a warm thanks for your tireless work out there.

TFC.

(would be interested to know which ASU FOG now drives for)

Flik Roll
26th Sep 2008, 12:03
I thought it was an awesome read. Could not put it down, absolutely gripping. Like JimGriff I also have Apache Dawn, which I have yet to start but am looking forward to starting.

Waaaaay better than any of the Yank accounts on Afghan (I started reading 'Not a good day to die' and am struggling to get through it.....bit heavy going at the moment).

I also cheated and started with the pictures :} But yes, it got a tick VG from me.

SPIT
26th Sep 2008, 16:36
Hi I have just finished APACHE DAWN and if APACHE is half as good as this I will be WELL PLEASED. :ok::ok::ok:

High_lander
26th Sep 2008, 20:12
'Not A Good Day To Die' is a good book showing the buerocracy involved in decision makings.

Hopefully for the US Military, its been streamlined somewhat!

Apache Dawn is quite good sofar.

Rigger1
27th Sep 2008, 06:43
If you have the choice read Apache Dawn before Apache, they read better that way, with one leading very nicely into the other without spoiling it too much.

thirtymill
28th Sep 2008, 19:36
I read APACHE DAWN and was hooked on the Apache, its brave crews and the combat that they were involved in. Totally huimbled by what they do day in and day out.

APACHe is also a great read but done in a different way and manner, more about one particular mission whereas APACHE DAWN covers many during a different period in time.

Both excellet lets have plenty more of them!:ok:

Essexbird
29th Sep 2008, 10:56
As a civie, having just read both Apache and Apache Dawn, I found both books incredibly eye opening to the difficulties our service personnel face daily in Afghanistan. What struck me was the total dedication, absolute pride and tenacity that our guys and girls show daily, as they approach dangerous and extremely stressful situations. If a fraction of Joe Public went to work with the same attitude for their daily job as these guys do, this country would be a far better place.

The books also highlighted the important need for all our personnel to be given the opportunity to undertake as much training as possible before their deployment (and not get knocked for it by moaning NIMBY’s) and how necessary the provision of suitable and reliable equipment is when fighting a war against scum like the Taliban. Unfortunately our government is failing to supply both of these necessities to our troops and quite honestly, it disgusts me. If the publication of books like these is going to increase public awareness, which in turn will put pressure on the government to better fund and equip our troops, then keep em coming. I thought both were a great read.

I for one would like to thank all of you involved in ops out there, past, present and future. You have my total support and admiration. Keep up the good work and remember you are appreciated back home, no matter what the press say. Keep up the good work and stay safe. :D

Essexbird.

Bigears
29th Sep 2008, 18:34
Well said- I'll second that :ok::D

pacman1234
30th Sep 2008, 10:30
Just finished reading Apache ,truly a very enjoyable read .I have one question Could the UK Apache force be supplemented with Lynx’s armed with TOW I understand that the AAC not longer fly TOW armed Lynx’s but how much and how long would it take to reinstall the kit

Low Ball
1st Oct 2008, 08:39
Pacman1234,

I note that this is your first post, could it be that you haven't kept up to speed with all the posts on Lynx here and in the aviation press.

Some problems to consider:-

Probably no missiles available as shelf life expired
Sights and booms removed and probably disposed of
Spares will have had a similar fate
3rd and 4th line repair facilities closed contracts non existant
Test equipment disposed of
No money
No requirement
Lynx out of puff in hot and High
Nobody (aircrew/technicians/ammo techs) trained or well out of practice

There is probably a few more but that should tell you it's a non starter.
However read the books on this thread. Note weapon of choice is the 30mm AWS in Afg. Now fitting cannon on Lynx might be a better option if it wouldn't shake the old girl to bits. Westlands trialled a 20mm cannon in pod on Lynx many years ago and that would require a fairly rudimentary sighting system. Suppliment this with waist mounted cannon for off axis work and you may have a useful toy. You may also need more powerful engines but you will need a requirement.

All in all I wouldn't hold my breath in the present climate.

LB

pacman1234
1st Oct 2008, 18:55
Thanks for that. I guessed it would be a non starter.Is the 30mm I little bit of over kill for a single bad guy. Seen some good film of a mini gatling gun on U Tube fitted to a Huey.Finding Apache Dawn a lot less enjoyable than Apache

Outgoing
17th Oct 2008, 07:40
Knowing Ed Macy and Baz Hunter extremely well; it is interesting that their books are written as you would expect them to tell it. (Alright, Baz did not actually write Apache Dawn but might as well have.)

There is some fallout from them and repercussions to be decided. 'Ed' has had a tough time personally and if this is a way for him to set up his retirement then fair play to him but there are many that feel he has betrayed them a la McNab/Ryan... Always been a brave bloke though and famed for his (over?-) enthusiasm in every aspect of his life!

Gainesy
17th Oct 2008, 10:24
Repercussions? I thought he had left the AAC?:confused:

Damn good book by the way. (Apache, that is, not read t'other one).

Rakshasa
17th Oct 2008, 10:41
Really? The only people who come out looking less than good in it are the Marine Major and the then 656 (or regiment?) OC and even then the criticism is pretty mild.

Would've figured both the booties and the corps would be pretty happy with it.

PICKS135
18th Oct 2008, 00:24
Just finished Apache, and have to agree with the comments from Rakshasa.

Non of the people mentioned in Apache, both Air and Ground get shafted by the author. The only one to get a bad write up is the [then] CO.

Cant see how there is bad feeling ala McNab / Ryan.

edited for mongness

re-edited after clarification by frontseater

bloody awkward 'Brown Jobs';);)

Front Seater
18th Oct 2008, 03:14
Guys,

Please be very careful with your use of the English language and military abbreviations - in the world of us brown jobs the OC is Officer Commanding for a Sqn and the CO is Commanding Officer of the Regiment. 2 different positions and for the purpose of this book and this thread 2 different people.

I know that Rak you attempt to delineate, but it is quite important as the OC of the Sqn was/is a top bloke, and rarely for us Teenie Weenies one of the most experienced AH drivers and leaders that we have. The CO on the other hand was undoubtedly playing the political game (with a certain amount of London/JHC/DAAvn career watching).

However, without defending the CO too much he said what he felt at the time - now we all know that those dudes that did the whole Jugroom Fort mission were incredibly brave - incredibly brave - and I really hope that come the day of the race that my inner mechanisms work that way.

But - and here is the point - sometimes those dislocated from the action seen the full potential of what could have happened at Jugroom Fort if fate (and lets be honest there was a lot of 'luck' in theat mission (both good and bad). I think we all know that those very brave actions could have been a strategic/political disaster (as per Mogadishu with the Blackhawk crew body being dragged through the streets).

All I am saying is be careful about terminology as some people would be deeply upset in being 'confused' of the position and role they played and secondly maybe, just maybe, step back from the coal face and try and get a glimpse of what other people may be thinking and ultimately responsible for.

From my very personal perspective - and as identified by many previous posters, the only people to 'blame' in any of this is the Politicians, Treasury and the 'top brass'. As per the news yesterday (with lessons being re-learnt from the old Sea King IRT at Sipovo/Balkans) to save a life there needs to be a dedicated capability that can actually do the IRT/MRT whatever you want to call it job. That means doing the job in all conditions with the correct training and levels of experience.

I think just post Jugroom Fort QHI 656 posted that there should be an HH-60 CSAR/Immediate Combat Recovery/JPR capability, but even I know that it will take a few more Coroners and Media Headlines to shame the HM Govt into procuring such a bespoke capability - although I must be honest that as someone that always knew that that Sea King boys would always make it through in Bosnia, it is good seeing them out here with their winch heaven forbid should I/we require them.

Rakshasa
18th Oct 2008, 05:43
Front Seater, thanks for clearing that up. I have nothing but respect and admiration for "Trigger", a boss I'd be proud to serve under.

I understand all too well the position the OC found himself in, as did 'Ed' it seemed.

I'll say this though, when blokes are having to hang off the side of an Apache or wait over three hours in a minefield for a spam Dustoff. We have a serious capability gap and only a cretin would attempt to deny it.

The Wokka crews/MRT are abolutely first rate but there clearly are times when it's the wrong tool for the job.

Front Seater
18th Oct 2008, 07:11
Rak,

Couldn't agree more and although I am a funding/EP realist I do wonder what price does a dedicated life saving rescue capability cost - both financially, grand strategically and politically.

How much more Sky News, BBC and CNN coverage do the politicians need before they realise that peoples lives are being lost. There are only so many times that the Politicians and 3* (who have formally taken this 'on risk') can direct the 2* 'fall guy' to be 'the face' for their risk taking.

Jugroom Fort, Kajaki Dam and quite a few of other incidents not reported regulaly provide the evidence that a dedicated CSAR (-) capability is required. Sadly, in my personal opinion it is going to take a Mogadishu equivalent (i.e. bodies being dragged through streets) for the public and treasury to finally put their hands in their pocket (or take a bow and pull out of the conflict admitting 'tactical success but strategic defeat).

Best solution from this end of the telescope:

1. Secure funding as soon as possible.
2. Co-ordinate with the replacement of another capability (Puma/Sea King).
3. Dedicate a UK rotary wing force to the CSAR (-)/IRT/MRT role.

What I am not too sure about is Merlin in this role - is it really suited, what is its downwash like, is it better suited to providing the much needed pure SH lift. The knackered old Sea King cannot lift much, but appears to be a very stable platform and has the corporate knowledge left over from Bosnia.

So, for the here and now until the Parliament and the British people eventually realise what the exact scale of the 'risk' that is being underwritten at the top should the recently expanded Merlin fleet be dedicated (and therefore specially trained) in this role, or is the Sea King more capable and therefore should they be made the national CSAR/IRT/MRT asset.

Or do we actually stop faffing with the 'concepts' - accelerate the civilianisation of the SAR force, paint all of the yellow Sea Kings green/brown and start the training of the SAR Force in the CSAR (-) role.

I am not fussed who does it - but how much longer can we 'double earmark' and multi task assets in this very important (life saving role)?

There are lots of options (and yes they are not 'cost neutral') but the worst Course Of Action to is to do nothing and hope that the per centage chance of the risk happening again will not occur.

olster
18th Oct 2008, 19:27
Apache is a fantastic read;the rescue is jaw-dropping in its audacity as is the courage of all participants.There is one group that comes out with zero credibility and that is the politicians of the era.They consistently disappoint,both the military and the electorate.Great book,though.

FB11
19th Oct 2008, 17:05
Purely for my interest, do any of the royalties go to charity?

Particularly military ones that would help recognise/help the 1000's of other military servicemen and women who serve, because they signed up to do so, but don't write a book.

I hope so.

Gainesy
20th Oct 2008, 09:38
Can't check on Apache, I've lent it out, but all author's proceeds from "Joint Force Harrier" by Cdr Ade Orchard RN, go to the charity Combat Stress and RN Historic Flight.

airborne_artist
20th Oct 2008, 09:46
all author's proceeds from "Joint Force Harrier" by Cdr Ade Orchard RN

Gainsey - see if you can guess who FB11 is, then? Here is a clue:

http://www.military-aircraft.org.uk/other-fighter-planes/hawker-sea-fury-fb-11-fighter.jpg

Gainesy
20th Oct 2008, 10:16
Really? (Sound of loose change hitting floor).

Another v. good read by the way.:ok:

Hmm, that thing would go faster if the prop was turning