PDA

View Full Version : Middle Wallop Airfield Manager

appleavi8or
11th Sep 2008, 20:05
I understand the Middle Wallop Airfield Manager's job is opening next April as the incumbent retires.

Just thought I'd give a heads-up in case there is an ex military pilot who fancies the £20+ K for a pleasant job which supplements his pension.

I'll drop more info on here when we get closer.

taxydual
11th Sep 2008, 22:12
Ex Military pilot for the job???? What the hell do they know about running an airfield??? There's some chat about TAG's on the Vulcan thread, any of them could run an airfield better.

Unless, of course, you know better.......

Coat and battle bowler on. ;);););););)

c130jbloke
12th Sep 2008, 05:52
20 000 GBP for an af mgr job - good luck in finding someone. :uhoh:

Tiger_mate
12th Sep 2008, 06:20
ex military pilot who fancies the £20+ K for a pleasant job which supplements his pension.

The practice of underpaying a salary because of individual circumstances, whilst a reality, is also appalling. That pension has been earned, and an appropriate salary for the job should be available without the 'top up pension' element.

Ex-Mil types will of cause take this option which is why we are our own worst enemy. Partly because of the 'comfort zone' of retaining work in a military environment rather than the frustrations associated with civilian work pratices.

dervish
12th Sep 2008, 06:42
Tiger-Mate

Whole heartedly agree. When I retired and returned north I toyed with applying for the manager 's job at Barry Buddon (Army ranges in Angus, near 45 Commando's HQ). Broadly equivalent post I suppose. It was a civvy appointment and even 12 years ago paid around £30k. £20k for an airfield manager! Perhaps it's part-time? Or job sharing?

Mister-T
12th Sep 2008, 07:30
Agreed, when I worked at Waddington there were several ex mil types on station being paid peanuts as they had the pension to supplement the appalling wage. It seems that only the Military can get away with that.

dallas
12th Sep 2008, 08:24
Ex Military pilot for the job???? What the hell do they know about running an airfield???
I refer you to the smoothly running model that is the RAF. Pilots know everything about everything, and the higher ranking you get, the cleverer you become. Oh, and you have the best ideas too.

Actually, sarcasm apart, I'd still prefer a pilot to run the show than an adminner, but it's becoming an increasingly close call.

teeteringhead
12th Sep 2008, 08:30
One assumes it will still be run under military regulations. If so, then the regulating authorities are highly likely to insist upon military experience - the difference between civil and mil regulations are enormous in some areas.

They certainly did so insist with the civvy airport manager at St Athan (;)), and he cost a bit more than £20K IIRC.....:)

appleavi8or
12th Sep 2008, 19:12
Sorry chaps but I sometimes despair at the instant negativity on PPRuNe.

This thread was a heads-up for someone about to leave or who is sitting out there and fancied a quite pleasant job for about £25k a year (20+ implies more than 20 and in this case I was being a bit vague I agree). It would really suit an ex-army pilot as it's a job which would benefit greatly from that background and whoever gets it would be working with old chums I would guess.

His or her, indeed. Low wages, arguably. Immoral or appaling, not really - you don't have to apply.

So to anyone who genuinely might be interested, there's the rumour.
For anyone who wants to get picky about gender, have a nice life.
For anyone who wants to have a dig at pretty much anything, take statins.
For all those who are not of the winged master race - well, what can I say.

Fu** me, perhaps I've had a bad day but I thought someone might find the info interesting and uncontroversial.

charliegolf
12th Sep 2008, 21:48
For clarity, it should be stated that no-one soon to leave the Service will be compelled to take the job.:ok:

CG