PDA

View Full Version : netscape 4.7 Vs 6.01

olderairhead
28th May 2001, 14:33
I have been using 4.77 for ages. I did try 6.0 when it was first released and found it to be a load of cr@p.
Does anyone use newer version 6.01 and if so have they ironed out all the bugs yet? Is it worth the effort or do I stay with 4.77 and the eternal "illegal operation" messages?

------------------
"Yes nurse....I'm coming"

Slasher
30th May 2001, 14:44
Olderair I trashed Nutscrape 6.0 after firing a few unsatisfactory rounds and re-installed my old trustey 4.75 calibre. Only prob with NS in general is that its screwed up by that bloodey stupid Yell.com banner-ad on PPRuNe ("eg Grote eg Hotel eg York") and have to use Fuhrer Gates Exploiter if I want to come in here. :mad:
And Nutscrape 6 doesnt "remember" stuff when you press Reload in mid-stream, unlike 4.75 which does.

FlyingGiraffe
1st Jun 2001, 05:14
Totally agree... Netscape made a right balls up of v6.0.

If you're looking for a decent alternative and don't want anything spawned from the Redmond, WA posse -- try the Opera browser, downloadable from:
http://www.opera.com/

It's free if you don't mind a banner ad or two, 39 bucks to get rid of them with the full version.

Slasher
3rd Jun 2001, 08:44
I took your advice FG and downloaded Opera 5.11. Very not bad! Only problem is that my AdSubtract (free version) doesnt recognise Opera versions above 3x. But its a pretty quick browser by its own anyway so its no big deal.

Least now Im free of that bloodey Gates connection.

F/O Junior
3rd Jun 2001, 21:40
Version 7 of Netscape should be a huge improvement again at least according first tests.