PDA

View Full Version : Packard Bell laptop gone crackers..help!

Scouser1
11th Sep 2008, 17:46
Hi, my hardrive died last week, so I had a new one fitted at repair shop. Got it back and reinstalled everything, but its doing a couple of mad things....
1/When typing the text of an email, before I have finished typing it'll just "send" the email, without me going near the send email icon!
2/ Also while typing text, the cursor of its own accord will "jump back" to an earlier point in the text. If you don't notice, it types over what you have already written.
Any ideas? You've no idea how long this took me to type with these problems... !!!!! Clare x

Saab Dastard
11th Sep 2008, 18:19
Have you got a trackpad? Maybe the repairers / re-installation re-enabled it?

I disabled mine in the BIOS, as I was constantly "inadvertently" moving the cursor around. I don't think you can disable the left/right buttons on the trackpad, you just have to learn to avoid them.

SD

Scouser1
11th Sep 2008, 18:52
Pardon my ignorance, but what's a trackpad, and how do I disable it???

Saab Dastard
11th Sep 2008, 19:46
The trackpad (or touchpad) is the smooth rectangle that you slide your finger around - instead of moving a mouse - to make the pointer / cursor move.

I think all laptops have them now, usually located centrally in front of the keyboard, with a couple of buttons above or below for left / right clicking.

Many laptops also have a small "nipple" pointing device located in the centre of the keyboard, again as a mouse substitute.

One or other or both of these can be disabled in the BIOS if you don't want them to work. The BIOS is the built-in hardware configuration utility that can be accessed at power-on before Windows loads - RTFM for your particular laptop.

SD