PDA

View Full Version : Taranto

bandit
11th Sep 2008, 15:40
As November 11th draws closer I though I'd extend an invite to all WAFUs past and present to share dits and sketches from years gone by...

airborne_artist
11th Sep 2008, 15:59
Here are some wannabe WAFUs at their first ever Taranto night:

http://inlinethumb58.webshots.com/43641/2038275200099776485S500x500Q85.jpg

glad rag
11th Sep 2008, 16:34
got a cracking naval HQ building, Il'Duce indeed!

Oh you've never been there.....................:}

teeteringhead
12th Sep 2008, 08:37
Does anyone else celebrate a victory over Italians????

Seriously though (;)) it did give the Japs a great idea for December '41.......

RETDPI
12th Sep 2008, 08:45
Whats that guy in the bottom left hand corner of A-A's picture up to?
Is he perchance practising for later in the evening?

The Helpful Stacker
12th Sep 2008, 08:51
Do the WAFU have something in their dress regs about wearing uniform as fancy dress?:confused:

Tourist
12th Sep 2008, 08:54
"Do the WAFU have something in their dress regs about wearing uniform as fancy dress?"

That's sums up shiny arses to a "T"
See someone having a laugh and go on about "regs":yuk:

The Helpful Stacker
12th Sep 2008, 09:33
Shiney arses?

I'm sure you've spent far more time sat on your backside in the military than I ever did, you are after all in the cocktails and Caribbean jollies branch of the Armed Forces.

To follow up on my initial point though, being the untrustworthy 'senior service' its not surprising that you chaps don't have much respect for the uniform that we who have sworn an oath to Her Majesty are proud to wear.:p

airborne_artist
12th Sep 2008, 09:50
respect for the uniform that we who have sworn an oath to Her Majesty

Can't see Betty being too upset about a bunch of keen youngsters celebrating a naval victory, really. If anyone had asked her permission she'd be very happy to give the "carry on".

Not sure we'd sworn any oath while at BRNC, to be honest, or even as we passed out, but maybe it's time for my pills :}

Tourist
12th Sep 2008, 10:13
"I'm sure you've spent far more time sat on your backside in the military than I ever did, you are after all in the cocktails and Caribbean jollies branch of the Armed Forces."

You are correct I suppose, since nobody to my knowledge has made an aircraft designed to be flown from the standing position, though if you were lucky enough to ever be invited to a Caribbean Cocktail party (unlikely, I know, imagine what the guests would think!) you would find that we stand at cocktail parties in polite company.

"To follow up on my initial point though, being the untrustworthy 'senior service' its not surprising that you chaps don't have much respect for the uniform that we who have sworn an oath to Her Majesty are proud to wear. "

Incorrect on many levels.

1. I have an enormous amount of respect for my uniform. It's localised gravity enhancing effects on the underwear of girls is breathtaking and makes me very proud.

2. The trustworthy RN has never been required to swear an oath. The Monarch has always understood that your RN officer knows what is required of him in terms of loyalty and dedication. Quite reasonably, the Queen believes that for the RAF it may have to be spelt out in a "repeat after me" manner. Essentially, it is the difference between a gentlemans agreement, and a contract you might make with a known, but not entirely trusted tradesman of dubious lineage.

The Helpful Stacker
12th Sep 2008, 10:26
The trustworthy RN...

How many RN personnel have later become Yeomen Warders or Yeomen of the Guard?

Do you know why?

airborne_artist
12th Sep 2008, 10:32
How many RN personnel have later become Yeomen Warders or Yeomen of the Guard?

How many would want to dress up in ye olde uniforme, care for ye olde blacke byrdes and get asked silly questions by Mabel from Ohio? :E

Safety_Helmut
12th Sep 2008, 10:46
time to stop digging THS !

S_H

teeteringhead
12th Sep 2008, 11:30
But surely after the follow-up action to the Spithead Mutiny, (when they reneged on their word), RN officers are not gentlemen.

One was told in one's youth that was why they may not hook up their swords as the Royal Army (;)) and Royal Air Force do.

ZH875
12th Sep 2008, 12:34
The trustworthy RN Trusted to donate their launch and Ipods to the Iranian Navy.

Tourist
12th Sep 2008, 16:18
"How many RN personnel have later become Yeomen Warders or Yeomen of the Guard?"

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer?

bandit
14th Sep 2008, 20:30
Crikey fellas, I was only after a few pointers for this year's bash. Although I can't quite see what is wrong in using rig for fancy dress now and again, although THS you'd be struggling with anything other than postman pat...

liedtoagain
15th Sep 2008, 08:17
1999 - 819 Sqn - Prestwick - Piano - Fireworks - Car!

I still can not remember how the car got on top of the burning piano.

Followed the next day by much effort to remove the debris and get a b@llocking from the new base commander who had been in post 48 hrs!

Nice work!

spheroid
15th Sep 2008, 19:06
Are they attempting a flypast over the Isle of Sheppey...? Nope, Didn't think so.....Much like next year when the FAA attempts to conduct the largest Mass flypast of Aircraft over a deserted wasteland where one bloke and his dog will be wondering WTF is going on..... Why can't the FAA fly down the Mall to celebrate their centenary ? Do you think the crabs will be flying over the Isle of Sheppey in 2018 ? Will they 'eck... The RAF flew down the mall for their 90th Birthday..... So why has the senior service been relegated to an island in the middle of Kent...... Besides...anyone who has visited the Officers Mess at Netheravon knows the true birth place of the Fleet Air Arm....

Rant over

exscribbler
15th Sep 2008, 19:30
Spheroid: This is why... :E

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/People/ChiefsofStaff/GenerateThumbnail.aspx?imageURL=/NR/rdonlyres/2701ADDE-7154-4BED-BAA6-CC9A5A9450E3/0/ACM_Sir_Jock_Stirrup.jpg&maxSize=210 (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/People/ChiefsofStaff/LargeImageTemplate.aspx?img=/NR/rdonlyres/2701ADDE-7154-4BED-BAA6-CC9A5A9450E3/0/ACM_Sir_Jock_Stirrup.jpg&alt=Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup GCB AFC ADC DSc FRAeS FCMI RAF)

Strictly Jungly
16th Sep 2008, 15:46
Tourist,
I wouldn't even bother responding to the stacker...............any (yawn) opportunity he sees he jumps straight in with his size 4's and tries to belittle our glorious Service................

Cocktail and Caribbean jollies? That just goes to show how blinkered he is.......he reminds me of a buzzing fly in the room................slightly irritating but you can't be @rsed to do anything about it...........he may shrivel up if we ignore him........

Back on track..................................LUSTY in Pompey Harbour Nov 2000, 820's rendition had the Wardroom toppers with smoke..............a great night and with a man of Taranto amongst us (sadly recently departed)........ a true Naval victory that we should continue to remember..........