PDA

View Full Version : New stick of RAM leads to Computer shutdown and black screen.

Lew747
11th Sep 2008, 15:24
Hey Peeps,

I've just brought a new RAM module for my Compaq Presario PC. Its 1GB and was my intention to slot it in alongside my 512mb module that came as standard to make 1.5GB of RAM. However, on firing my machine up she'll be fine, stable and faster than she used to be when without warning (varying from 2-10 mins from startup) she'll just shut-down by itself, then re-start only displaying a black screen.:{

Whats wrong? I dont wanna be stuck with 512mb of RAM anymore! :ugh:

Lewis

Guest 112233
11th Sep 2008, 15:45
Is it the right Sort of RAM for your PC - Although it might fit in the Slots provided - Its configuration e g speed, latency for example may make it incompatable with your setup. Does the PC Poll the RAM as part of your Power On Self Test - Tell us more. Think about downloading a Memory Test Utility - There might be an address conflict between the NEW Memory and exsisting mapping of the Video RAM Unlikely but..

Is it a portable or a desk top ?

(An ancient 1200 Presario Lap Top -like the one i'm using to write this ,320MB RAM is the MAX the Bios will support. XP Home can Address Upto 3GB ).

CAT III

Keef
11th Sep 2008, 16:11
Try with JUST the new stick in and see.

Likely to be a spec issue, though. Unless the new stick is faulty - but the POST should find that. Check, too, that it's properly seated in the slot.

Saab Dastard
11th Sep 2008, 16:27
If you use one of the memory configuration tools from Crucial or Kingston they should tell you what the maximum RAM is for your PC as well as the module specification. The HP / Compaq website will also have the information (but not so easy to find).

SD

frostbite
11th Sep 2008, 16:46
Do you get any unusual beeps from your machine?

Lew747
11th Sep 2008, 17:42
Ok thanks, will try your ideas out.

frostbite...this is actually a problem that has occured before. My machine was originally equipped with 1gb of ram (2 x 512), i left my machine on overnight and found there to be a black screen. When i restarted, the screen was black, but with constant beeps coming from inside the tower. A good friend of mine discovered it to be a faulty RAM module (or so he believed) removed the faulty part (leaving just the 512 in) and it worked fine.

This time however, I am getting no beeps upon restart :confused: