PDA

View Full Version : Netscape Problems

TwoDogs
27th May 2001, 09:12
I have beenusing Netscape now for many years and have resisted changing to IE. I have put up with the incessant and annoying "this program has performed an illegal operation" notices , the disappearing icons and multiple other glitches but now it has gone too far.
For some starange reason when I go into PPRuNe and select "forums" everything appears normal. When I slide the cursor over "rumours" or one of the other forums it changes to the little pointing finger and when I cick on the mouse button the link changes colour...but absolutely nothing happens. I can click on any of the links on the page and the same thing happens.
If I use the "back" button in the browser it attempts to change pages but only partially loads and then ...NOTHING.
This only happens in Netscape and IE works perfectly. Has anybody else experienced this or have any ideas what could be causing it.

I don't want to have to give in to IE if I can avoid it.

olderairhead
28th May 2001, 08:39
ou are not alone TwoDogs. Apparently it has something to do with the avertising on the bottom of the home page - yell.com.

------------------
"Yes nurse....I'm coming"

PaperTiger
28th May 2001, 09:44
I've been following this yell.com thing, and couldn't quite understand because I've never seen it.
Now I get it - it's on the home page where I never go. My bookmark goes directly to the Forums page (sorry Captain !), which then opens in the full screen not a frames.
http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/Ultimate.cgi
there's a link if you do need to go home.

And it's JavaScript that needs to be turned off, not Java. A dogfish is not a dog and JavaScript is not Java.

(I'll post this to the other thread too).

TwoDogs
28th May 2001, 11:21
Thanks guys, I understand the problem now.
Nice try PaperT...I used your link and guess what happened. The first time I tried it the banner at the bottom of the page was for..you guessed it ... bloody Yell.com and the same problem occurred.
I think the advertisers have an obligation to ensure that their ads don't stuff things up for the people viewing the pages and as such they should be removed until such time as they are fixed http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Blacksheep
29th May 2001, 08:53
This JavaScript business forced me to use IE5 after using every version of Netscape quite happily since Netscape 1.0 The odd thing is that I've found that nice Mr. Gates seems to have finally sorted out most of the bugs in Explorer. (I believe that Internet Explorer is based on the old 'Mosaic' that I used in the bad old days before Netscape)

As to Javascript, what the hell is this useless cr*p doing anyway? The adverts using it often contain 'spyware' that sniffs your P.C. for your e-mail address, phones home with the results and you end up with the daily garbage load of spam in your in-box. Even ZoneAlarm is no protection, the browser has permission to access the internet. Of course there ARE methods of getting revenge but these are mostly illegal.

Through difficulties to the cinema

PaperTiger
29th May 2001, 10:37
Blacksheep

See my waffle re JavaScript in the yell.com thread. Used correctly it's fine, and many sites won't work without it.

I'm with you on ads, but they do help pay the bills.