PDA

View Full Version : Arik Air assesment

chrislikesblue
11th Sep 2008, 12:54
Hello! Im invited to an assesment in Gatwick for Arik Air.Anyone who has beed to this assesment could give me some clue what to expect?
I know there is a simulator sesssion included but i dont know if there is any writen tests,psychometrics...
Many thanks.

Jeffdh17
12th Sep 2008, 17:24
This seems to be the million dollar question. People are posting this question, going for the interview and then not sharing the experience. My assessement is the 19th and 20th of Sept. I'll post the experience as soon as I return. Good Luck.....

TonyWilliams
12th Sep 2008, 20:05
Mine is Dec 4-5, 2008.

Sim eval is in a B737 at London Gatwick airport

- Candidates interested in attending an assessment and selection with Arik Air must arrange and finance their own travel to the assessment location. However candidates successful at the assessment who accept a contract with Arik Air will have 50% of their initial travel costs reimbursed upon commencement of assignment.

- Arik Air will provide candidates with hotel accommodation for the duration of the assessment period. (local transport not necessary at the assessment location as simulator centre within walking distance to hotel)

- Arik Air will finance the simulator, psychometric, instructor and interview costs for the assessment/selection process

5N AREABOY
13th Sep 2008, 16:40
This seems to be the million dollar question. People are posting this question, going for the interview and then not sharing the experience

Because there is nothing good to share.:sad:

k8o
13th Sep 2008, 19:30
Hello All,
Am trying to get on a pilot cadet program with Virgin Nigeria. I've scaled through the 1st test and i figure the next one would have to do with a psychomotor test amongst other things. Has anyone got any idea as to how to best prepare for this? Any suggestions will be welcome.

5N AREABOY
13th Sep 2008, 21:45
K80, it is psychometric test please.

k8o
14th Sep 2008, 20:44
5N AREABOY (http://www.pprune.org/members/235782-5n-areaboy), There is a psychometric and a psychomotor test. They are not the same. If you need enlightenment, please do ask.

maxfly1
15th Sep 2008, 00:14
I tried to post my experience but it did not show.
I had mine in August. Came a day earlier and met two other guys, also Americans. One was going for B737, the other one for T/prop management position and I am for CRJ. One more guy we met later. He was British on B737.
First day was Interview and Computer assessments. 3 guys on the comp., one interviewing. We had a few questions from ATP that are really simple. Something about runway lights, last 3000 and 2000 feet. Then Compass test using a joystick and pedals. We don't do them in America. But if you study instructions carefully, you'll do fine. You can practice after every explanation until you ready I think. There is no time limit to study instructions.
Next test is Psychological. About 30 questions pared up with each other 200 times. The most idiotic test. Be honest an you'll do fine.
All takes about 3-4 hours and nobody's watching you. We discussed ours. Then comes interview. In the beginning of the day you'll get your folder to fill out a paper. I looked through all the papers. The last one was Interview assessment, where they make notes about eye contact and your behavior and your answers on their questions. Mine was about 15 minutes. The interviewer is hired by Arik and does not care about anything, just makes notes. He asked me about my past and flight history. I told him that I searched Internet and asked some guys about this interview and Arik Air when he asked me if I knew anything anything about Arik.
Next day was Simulator. Some guys get B737-800, we had -300. I bought Flightsim X with B737-800 and practiced the whole profile. But we got -300 which I practiced on Flightsim 2004.
I don't know how to post a profile and approach plate here. The whole flight is on Shannon r/way 23. Take off r/w 23, climb to 5000' at 160kts, to NDB, then right turn to another NDB to track inbound on 040 ( you'll do a steep turn or two) then continue to NDB, enter a hold with a x-wind 200x15, a few turns and proceed outbound until some fix and turn to intercept ILS. If you have B737 Type, they will fail one engine, take the controls and let you run QRH.
Let me know how you'll want the Sim profile.
Don't hesitate to ask questions.

TonyWilliams
15th Sep 2008, 06:43
Thanks for posting that. Did you get the job? CA or FO ?

Did you feel the Microsoft flight sim time was helpful?

If you have the profiles in some format, I'd like it. You can send it to my email at:

anthonywilliams123 (insert the "a t" symbol)
gmail (daughttttt)
com
:ok:

maxfly1
15th Sep 2008, 13:45
I got offered CA position. Waiting on differential training and recurrent. Takes them too long.
I always use Microsoft to prepare for the Sim. Never failed. Get used to the instruments layout and memorize the procedure.

TonyWilliams
16th Sep 2008, 04:56
I got offered CA position. Waiting on differential training and recurrent. Takes them too long.
I always use Microsoft to prepare for the Sim. Never failed. Get used to the instruments layout and memorize the procedure.

Got the data. Thanks. They've bumped up my interview/sim eval to Sept 25-26. So, I've got about a week to prepare.

What kind of time frame are you looking at for training? What differential training do you need? Had you not flown the -900 previously? Where do they do training? UK?

My last recurrent was May 2008, last flight in a -700 or -900 was July 2008.

Hope to see ya in Lagos.

rspilot
16th Sep 2008, 05:31
Is this sim ride hand flown using raw data? Thanks for the help.

B200Drvr
16th Sep 2008, 12:11
You Guys are nuts!! Firstly take the time to read all that has been written about Arik on this forum (Please note, this is not against Nigeria or its people)
Secondly, let me understand this correctly. You pay all expenses to go to the interview and then if you sign with them you get 50% back. Are you CRACKERS?? My current company, yes the one I work for now, after working for Arik!! paid for me to go to the interview, covered all expenses and that was before they offered me a contract. My previous company, yes the one before I worked for before Arik, even paid me the daily rate of their pilots to go to the interview, that on top of all my expenses. Is this not standard practice?

Mr. Smith
16th Sep 2008, 13:32
B200Drvr, not all airlines everywhere are created equal. Why would you question someones sanity for seeking employment with Arik. Is there more you'd like to share?

maxfly1
16th Sep 2008, 13:56
I have not flown CRJ in two years and only flew CRJ200 so I need difference course plus recurrent. Since Arik is in Africa, everything is very slow there. I kept asking Protech about training and he finally asked me if I could find a -900 sim myself before X-mass. So I found one in Denver the same day and found out that Arik has a contract with them. Why Arik did not contact them if they need pilots so much or why did not they ask me to find a sim myself, I don't know?
Denver is looking for 4 days difference and 8 days recurrent for me. I have a feeling it's gonna take a while.
The whole Sim ride is raw data and hand flown -300 or -800.

rspilot
16th Sep 2008, 17:48
What a complete waste of time and money.....evaluate a crj captain with several thousand hours in the crj by putting him on and 73 sim. No wonder they are having trouble finding people.

TonyWilliams
16th Sep 2008, 20:27
You Guys are nuts!! Firstly take the time to read all that has been written about Arik on this forum (Please note, this is not against Nigeria or its people)

What is bad about Arik? You apparently worked there. What specifically was bad? And what's to say I, or anybody else, won't also find it "bad" and leave also?

I don't have huge expectations. The operation is obviously new enough that there's going to be growing pains. That would happen in the 1st world also.

But, I recognize it ain't Los Angeles, London or Paris. It'll be hotter than.... hot. There's little wars going on in the region. I get it. Perhaps I can tolerate it, maybe not. But I'm certainly not nuts.

Secondly, let me understand this correctly. You pay all expenses to go to the interview and then if you sign with them you get 50% back. Are you CRACKERS??

If the phone were ringing off the hook for a job in the US, I'd go work there. Last time I checked, half the major airlines are about one step away from insolvency, and thousands and thousands of pilots are on the street looking for jobs. So, I'm going to spend about $1000 to take a chance on this one. It's obviously a legitimate company, as you worked there.

My current company, yes the one I work for now, after working for Arik!! paid for me to go to the interview, covered all expenses and that was before they offered me a contract. My previous company, yes the one before I worked for before Arik, even paid me the daily rate of their pilots to go to the interview, that on top of all my expenses. Is this not standard practice?

Just give me those two company's names, and I'll apply there. Thanks for the heads up.

TonyWilliams
16th Sep 2008, 20:31
What a complete waste of time and money.....evaluate a crj captain with several thousand hours in the crj by putting him on and 73 sim. No wonder they are having trouble finding people.

It would be curious to see how many pass, and what the background was on the ones who don't.

The CRJ is easy to fly. I've never flown a 737, but I'm told it's really straight forward also. Doesn't mean I won't blow it, but I don't see this being a big deal. Actually, kinda looking forward to it.

TonyWilliams
16th Sep 2008, 20:36
I have not flown CRJ in two years and only flew CRJ200 so I need difference course plus recurrent. Since Arik is in Africa, everything is very slow there. I kept asking Protech about training and he finally asked me if I could find a -900 sim myself before X-mass. So I found one in Denver the same day and found out that Arik has a contract with them. Why Arik did not contact them if they need pilots so much or why did not they ask me to find a sim myself, I don't know?
Denver is looking for 4 days difference and 8 days recurrent for me. I have a feeling it's gonna take a while.
The whole Sim ride is raw data and hand flown -300 or -800.I did my differences training in [edit] FlightSafety in DFW. I just looked on their website, and the CRJ-700 sim is listed.

Gotta get to studying and packing my bags.

Rani
16th Sep 2008, 20:58
When is Arik supposed to take delivery of their DASH-8-400s, 737-800s, and what about that mysterious company Arik Niger which apparently is yet to take off despite media noise back in July?

CFM56-7B
20th Sep 2008, 23:14
B200Drvr I couldn't agree more with you about the craziness of going to that kind of selection and expenses to get a job in the 158th (out of 177) country in the world for human developement.

I know that the domestic situation looks bad right now but on the other hand my company has been hiring people with 2-300 hundred hours on type all the summer long (not anymore due to end of the season).
I got my jet job in march with a type and 400 piston hours and all I had to do was going in person to some 20 companies around EU, all my schoolmates got airline jobs in 2007-8 and one of them has just got a job (last month!) with FR with 200 pistons hours.

Consider about Nigeria that they have kind of a civil war down there, for not mentioning +100 tyes of malaria (allegedly very easy to get) and every kind of disease you can possibly expect to find in an exotic place like that. (nothing against Nigeria and Nigerians but these are pretty much the facts, and please correct me if I said anything wrong).

What about north Africa? Allegedly much nicer companies and lifestyle there, if you don't get anything in EU. Besides market is gonna be better in 3-4 months anyway. Why don't you guys wait a little bit or look better around before getting into this crazy queue to go there?!

PLTFORLIFE
21st Sep 2008, 02:12
The selection process is about getting the most suitable candidates for the job. Please don't go bashing the country involved. I am not sure you will get a job with any reasonable airline in the world without going through a similar selection process. But I do agree that if successful all expenses must be refunded.

Mr. Smith
21st Sep 2008, 05:12
100 types of malaria, every type of exotic disease? How do foreign pilots survive that place? :rolleyes:

cjmvejby
21st Sep 2008, 16:53
Is this all handflown? Raw data or FD?
Johan.

maxfly1
21st Sep 2008, 23:48
Raw data, no flight director, no a/pilot. And if you have 737 type, you will lose an engine.
Anyone who needs Sim profile, let me know.

Terantious
22nd Sep 2008, 00:04
Hey Maxfly1 can you send me the profile. I have an interview the beginning of November. You can send it to [email protected]. Thanks.

piloton
22nd Sep 2008, 02:09
can you please send me a copy also [email protected].
Thank you

BoeingDriverUSA
23rd Sep 2008, 03:43
Hi there

Could you send me the profile for Arik and any other info you think I should know? I got an assessment Oct. 15 and 16th. Thanks:ok:

makhan56
23rd Sep 2008, 09:21
Hi
I'm type rated pilot on 737 cl and ng........
also I am ivited by arik air on 26-27 sim assestment...
Please could you give me the flight proflie....
thanks

makhan56
23rd Sep 2008, 09:24
my e-mail is [email protected]

davecfm56
23rd Sep 2008, 13:33
Hi, I've got the assessment on the 26th/27th spet. could someone sling me the profile to

Cheers.

CFM56-7B
23rd Sep 2008, 15:14
I don't know how expat pilots there survive. I will find out soon, because my company is sending me there for 4 weeks. For what I've heard so far not everybody survives to Africa, especially thanks to malaria (in that particular country life expectation is around 44 years). I would be very happy to avoid the "safari" but, as a quite unexperienced F/O, that's very likely the only way to have my contract renewed and keep my little job in EU (if I also manage to keep my medical licence safe from mosquitos & co...:\).

P.S.
PLTFORLIFE
I didn't mean to argue about the need for a selection to get any job or the give any personal bad comment about Nigeria (I haven't been there yet so I couldn't). It's just some datas I got on internet.
I was just wondering if the situation was so bad all around the world that even experienced pilots from rich countries (also USA?!) are fighting to get a job in a place that is not exactly safe and where allegedly (pilotjobsnetwork) the conditions are quite bad.

As I said I have to go there for a few weeks too and but I have no much choice about that. Only thing I can do for now is to start a thread to get at least some information about how not to get in any trouble while I'm there, any contribution will be very very appreciated.

Thank you all and wish you good luck!:ok:

maxfly1
23rd Sep 2008, 16:05
Get a repellent and a mosquito net. There are no mosquitoes during a day when it's hot, be careful at night. When you go to sleep, spray your room with a repellent and leave for a bout 10-15 minutes and keep Air conditioning on full blast in your room at all times. Hang a net over the bed.
Don't walk around in shorts and sandals and spray yourself. And ask somebody before you go outside the hotel or compound about safety.
Africa is actually very pretty and fun.

Jeffdh17
23rd Sep 2008, 16:50
I just got back from London for the Arik Interview and this was my experience:

The hotel: Its the IBIS Gatwick. Its European Standard. One fitted sheet, a blanket and one small pillow. The room itself was just a little larger than that of a mid to large size cruise ship room. What I'm trying to say is that the Hotel for the interview in London would never pass the contract standards of my current regional carrier employer. Breakfast is included with your stay, but its nothing to write home about. The room is clean and does have a T.V.

The interview: The people at OAA were very relaxed. I enjoyed that part of the experience. Day one included the personality test which was the biggest waste of time I've ever experienced. I was asked the same questions what seemed like 400 times. There was also a test that used rudder pedals and a joy stick (fairly simple). Then there was the memory test (you were given altitudes airspeeds and radio frequencies and then asked to input them back into the computer. The math portion was pretty easy (basic addition, division, multiplication, subtraction, and very bery basic algebra). There were two word problems regarding planes leaving their respective airports at "x" time and travel "X" MPH. You had to solve for the point where they would meet. For the ATP questions there were less than 10 or 15 and you may want to study converting feet to meters because a couple of them were in meters which we don't really use in the U.S. There was a portion of the exam including interpreting instruments and having to I.D. which aircraft represented the instrument indications (using RMI, Heading indicator, and attitude indicator). It was pretty basic.

The actual interview was 20 or so minutes just giving your background, and the age old what would you do if captain wasn't following SOP's, or if he were drinking prior to flight. There were two aerodynamic questions one of which was: Why are engines mounted on the wings instead of the fuselage. The other was why we have swept wings on jet aircraft.

The sim was steep turns and flying the complete approach plate for Shannon Ireland's ILS to 24. (ndb intercepting and tracking after dept., including ndb holding (two turns) the the ils to full stop.

My friend who works for Evergreen Aviation selling their ground services was just there last week (lagos) and gave me the following report. Take it for what its worth: "Still here in HELL! City is like a de-militarized zone after a holocaust. Run like hell man. Don't come here unless you have a roundtrip ticket and you came to build huts with your church.

The city is rather clean in comparison to India but still by US standards there is 0 relevance to anything you and my have ever known. I suggest if you want to move to a place like this come here for 2 weeks and you will know. The airport is in much better condition than I expected. There are no more pirates storming airplanes here. around 2000 they gave shoot to kill orders to the airport security. The terminals are in good condition but the bathrooms have no potty seats and no toilet paper. People stink and just don't get it.

Arik Airlines is one airline we will service here and they are flying old junker F-27's.

Hope that doesn't offend anyone, but I'm just passing on one American's experience there last week. He was staying in a posh hotel and experienced rolling blackouts the entire time.

I personally have decided to not take the job is offered. I realized one thing while in London for the interview which is that there are limits to what I will endure to stay in aviation or advance my career in aviation.

Good luck to all. PM me with any other questions.

TonyWilliams
23rd Sep 2008, 19:47
So, at least three of us on Sept 26-27. I'll be happy to meet up with you guys for dinner and/or cocktails on Thu. night.

Now for the all important planning. Where's a good place to go Saturday night? Is it easy to go to downtown London (it's been almost 20 years since I was there, and I remember a train right at the airport).

Now to the mosquitoes and malaria. Do I need shots before I go there? Should I bring insect repellent (ie, will I be able to bring it on a plane?)?

23rd Sep 2008, 22:45
Anybody doing the 7th&8th of oct? I'll be there then. Also, what is the compass/joy stick thing? is that the psychomotor test?

asacrj
24th Sep 2008, 03:10
Arik Airlines is one airline we will service here and they are flying old junker F-27's.

What happened to the brand new CRJ's and B737's I wonder......
I heard Arik is even getting 2 A340-500 to start the USA run. Pretty big planes compare to the F27 dont you think? Get your infos right mate.

739ER
24th Sep 2008, 09:58
Could you send me too please, the profile for Arik and any other info you think I should know? Many thanks!!!:)
e-mail adderss : [email protected]

747fanatic
24th Sep 2008, 10:01
where do i apply? Arik website?

eagle135
24th Sep 2008, 15:13
Could you please email to me too ( [email protected] ) the Sim Assessment profile for Arik Air? Thanks a lot bro.

MALLY
24th Sep 2008, 15:27
Good day Gents. I,m not a pilot but also involved in the game and have been offered a Maint. Manager position and also looking forward to having a 'look see'.Spent most of my life in Africa but only spent time in Port Harcourt with Heavylift and MK. Will be heading down on the 6th and will report back with regards to accomodation etc. I'll also be falling into the 8 on 2 off roster but I hear that this will change and spouses could be allowed more regular 'visits'.
Good luck to you guys with your assessments etc.
Cheers.
Mal :ok:l

Pixie Queen
24th Sep 2008, 18:07
What does this outfit do with TWO Hawker 800 XP's ?

Thats been baffeling me for a while now.

asacrj
24th Sep 2008, 22:17
where do i apply? Arik website?

Go to www.aviationjobsearch.com (http://www.aviationjobsearch.com) and you will find Arik air jobs.
But please do me a favour, if you do get the job you are looking for, please dont come back in here and ask how are the working and living conditions at Arik air and in Nigeria. It has been addressed so many time on this forum. Just reminber that life is a choice. If you can stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. I know a lot of people who would love and will be happy to have a job flying new jets for Arik;)

RWEDAREYET
25th Sep 2008, 12:45
USAPAScabs, (by the way, I am a EAST pilot on EVLA, did some contract work for ARIK)

ARIK started with one Hawker. Sir Johnson, one of the founders of ARIK, saw a need for viable air transportation in Nigeria after the demise of Nigerian Airways. He initially used the Hawker for personal use and then began to use it for charter. (He now has a Challenger) Although Johnson's main focus is the scheduled part of the airline, ARIK is smart to stay in the charter business in Nigeria. There is a ton of business for those jets.

mistarose
26th Sep 2008, 02:24
I have been scheduled for a interview this October, I am going for the Q400 position and would appreciate any and all information everyone has on the company, the interview, the sim assessment, the job etc. to send me an email:

[email protected]

Thank you very much.

bob.sakamano
26th Sep 2008, 16:13
Hi all,

Am going to the Arik assessment on the 1st & 2nd of October. Anyone else?

Please PM with any helpful insight.

Thanks

TonyWilliams
26th Sep 2008, 17:57
Just completed day one of the assessment in London. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the facility. Go out the Ibis lobby, turn left, walk 2 minutes to the round-about, then left for another 2 - 3 minutes. Couldn't be easier.

We have 8 in our group, so 4 started at 9am at the Oxford Aviation Academy near Gatwick airport, and 4 in the afternoon at 2:30pm. It was interview and computer tests. All very easy [edit: I'm told people actually FAIL this stuff. There's really nothing to study, secondary school geometry, basic conversions in metric to english measure, hand eye coordination, very basic ATP questions]

The group that is one day ahead of us met up with two Captains from Arik, and were taken to Heathrow airport to fly the B737 sim at British Midlands instead of the B737 here at Oxford in Gatwick. I'm told it's about a 30 minute drive.

It looks like my afternoon group will do the same tomorrow afternoon at 2pm.

I went up to Victoria train station in London this morning, and did a tour of Buckingham Palace. Cost £4.50 for the shuttle to the Gatwick airport, £18 round trip on the "GatwickExpress" train (leaves every 30 minutes at :20 and :50, returns every 30 minutes at :00 and :30). I took a cab instead of calling for the hotel shuttle on my return (pickup is at spot 12 at Gatwick south terminal, phone to call the hotel is yellow with number posted there). Taxi cost £11.50.

About an hour total time each way.

Right now, a US dollar is about 2:1, so double everything. It ain't cheap. and with the world finance melt down, it'll probably get worse.

The hotel has a free breakfast from 4am to 10am. Cereal, fruit, toast, coffee, deli meats. Internet and TV costs £9.95 each 24 hours. If you want movies, they're another £5.95 each.

Internet is not wifi, so you have to use their short cable, or bring your own longer one. They do have a computer in the lobby, and I think it is £1 for 10 minutes.

There's a quick shop about a 10 minute walk south, and a little cottage restaurant [breakfast / lunch only] maybe 4 minutes south, on the opposite side of the street from the hotel. To the north, about 3 minute walk, is a bar / pub.

I'm going to eat, hope this helps somebody.

Jeffdh17
26th Sep 2008, 19:17
(As a fellow American, I'm going to have to say your description of the hotel Ibis in London shows your ignorance of the way things are in foreign countries. Anyone who has ever spent any time in Europe (or anywhere else on Earth for that matter) knows that Euro bldgs and hotels are small, basic, and compact. That's standard, bro. Ibis is actually usually a pretty nice chain all over Europe. I'm baffled that it didn't meet your standards.

You honestly have ZERO business going to Nigeria if you turn your nose up at an IBIS hotel!!! Any Europeans on here care to add to that???)

Apparantly you can't read. My post clearly says that the hotel is "European Standard". I didn't say it didn't meet my standards, I said it didn't meet the standards of the contract I am under with my present employer. Accomodations are an important part of any contract and therefore my description of them (which was actually pretty positive) was an intent to inform other candidates of that aspect

I found it difficult to find any information about Arik and wanted to post as much detail as possible. Now suddenly we have experts such as yourself trashing the very information that people have been seeking. If its more detail than you wanted, then just disregard what you are not interested in please.

Are you seriously trying to recruit other Europeans to slam me for what you perceived as negative comments regarding the Hotel IBIS? Get a life!

WINGMAN9651
2nd Oct 2008, 08:01
:ok:Please if u could send me the profile, I will really appreciate it, I have 17 and 18 of december for the 737, thanks.

[email protected]

ICARUS1971
2nd Oct 2008, 08:47
Hi fellows;
I´m facing the assesment for Arik, on B737, on 16th-17th of October,i would appreciate a more detailed sim profile as well as whatever you may remember of the psychometrics and psychomotors,thanks a lot,you really help guys!!

ICARUS1971
2nd Oct 2008, 08:50
Please send info to [email protected] thanks!!

davecfm56
5th Oct 2008, 14:23
Anyone been offered a position with Arik? If so, how long did it take from completing assessment until being notified as being successful/unsuccessful and if you were indeed successful did you take it?

Regards, Dave.

One eye chimp
14th Oct 2008, 07:29
G,day
I am attending interview on 8th & 9th of Dec. I live literally on the other side of the world if someone could send a scanned copy of the instrument plates likely to be used in sim it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Monysofy
18th Oct 2008, 02:22
Can you e-mail me the sim profile, i'm about to take the interview/sim
Thanks A lot ([email protected])

Jeffdh17
19th Oct 2008, 22:01
They give you the plates the night before the sim check. So you'll have them in plenty of time to study for the evaluation. I was offered a job and didn't feel like I did that great in the sim. I'd never flown the 737, so they took that into account I suppose. I knew how to navigate and I suppose thats what they wanted to see, cause I couldn't hold altitude for Sh@!. LoL!

The whole process is very relaxed. I wouldn't study or worry about it all. If you have a commercial license and some experience then you should have no problem. Good Luck.

metrodriver
21st Oct 2008, 13:35
First: Arik Air has no old F-27's. They have F-50's and DHC-8's on lease from Denim Air (a company based in the Netherlands).
Their B737-300's are ex-USair or ex-United, the CRJ 900 and B737-700 came brand new from the factory, just like their newest acquisition the A340.

Lagos is a sh!thole. Sorry, can't say it any nicer. Don't use credit cards unless you absolutely know who handles it. Use a laptop computer with a very good firewall. It is not a place to leave your hotel, and even hotels do get robbed. The locals will not go across the causeway from the airport to Victoria Island after dark because of numerous robberies, usually by folks dressed like police. VI has a large buisiness district and some big hotels. One of our mechanics got held up right outside the airport gate by a police-look-a-like.
The hotels are EXPENSIVE! The Sheraton asks $450.00 a night for a simple room. We stayed at a little place that charged $280.- a night. I have stayed at some very nice hotels in africa that were less than that. Food is along the same lines.

The clock ticks on african time, it's slower than island time in the caribbean.

The airspace around Lagos is nothing like you've ever seen in your life. Everybody speaks at the same time, no delays expected untill 5 minutes later you are 10 deep in a holding where other people decide to squak the same code. A controller who cuts off the most important info so you have to ask again, a radar that operates occasionally and the most important info they want to know is tail number, souls on board and endurance, and where you came from.

Weather is like Miami on a hot day. 95F with 95% humidity

Have fun

sonicpana
21st Oct 2008, 22:07
You forgot to mention malaria............but it is the toilet of planet Earth:yuk:

metrodriver
21st Oct 2008, 23:35
Malaria is everywhere except North America, Europe and maybe Australia, New Zealand and Japan. Africa has Malaria below the Sahara except Addis Ababa (apparently mosquito's have a hard time getting up to the altitude this city is at).
A couple of years back in Uganda there was this radio station and if you were the 10th caller in some quiz you won: no, not a thousand dollars, euro's, local currency, no, grand prize was a mosquito net! Part of the fight malaria campaign.
If you're afraid of malaria don't go to India either. You'll have a choice actually: dengue fever or malaria. Take your pick. When you go to a hotel there beware of plug-in airfreshners. It are really some very potent mosquito killers and make you after a few hours very sick. How I know? Lets just say that the airport in Chennai smells worse than the one in Lagos. So you get to your room and see what looks like an airfreshner next to the tv. You plug it in in the hope that the room will smell nice and fresh when you wake up. However, a few hours later you'll wake up with a crashing headache and nauseated. Now the only solution you have is to open the windows, let the smelly air back in your room and if it's hot enough the mosquito's stay away. If the sun is not way above the horizon put on mosquito repellant before opening the aircraft door. It won't be one mosquito waiting for some fresh meat, it will be thousands.

asacrj
22nd Oct 2008, 00:19
There is always 2 sides to a story. I know I will not mind at all about living in Nigeria.

How is the environment in Nigeria for an expat? I got an offer to work at Lagos, NAJR. Is it safe to go there? - Yahoo! Answers India (http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061110021640AAyANyk)

buddylove64
29th Oct 2008, 19:52
Hi guys,

Happy for you about the Arik assessment.i dont know why nobody's telling you anything about the assessment and what to expect.but i know a few guys that went for it and told me a few things just in case i was called.

KOLDO
30th Oct 2008, 15:06
Hellow,

I need some help, because I´m thinking about to apply to Arik Air, but a friend of mine wich is already involved on the move, told me that you need to sing a kind of bond agreement, very common nowadays in big airline business.

I understand that, but this guy told me that he needs somebody to back up the bond ¡¡ :eek:

With everybody around unemployed or on the way to be, I can imagine the face of my bank director, tellin him that I need to do this....:D

Any info or better explanation will be appreciated.

Thjanks very much indeed:ugh:

TonyWilliams
30th Oct 2008, 16:22
I've applied to Arik Air and was asked, by e-mail, to formally apply by completing an attached application form on october 18 (11 days ago). I did so and are now waiting for a possible assessment.

To you who have been on assessments or are invited to, how long after you had sent this application form were you booked for assessments?

Daniel,

What equipment are you applying for? For myself, I applied around Sept 1, 2008 for a CRJ FO position, and subsequently was offered a Dec 4-5, 2008 assessment.

Then, I was asked if I could take my assessment in London on Sept 26-27, which I have completed. About mid October, we were notified that everybody in my group had passed the assessment, but that Arik was on hold for hiring (not sure if that applies to the B737).

So, I asked when I can expect to be reimbursed for my $850 airline ticket? That's when the "updates" stopped. Haven't heard a peep in two or three weeks.

I suspect that I'm just going to eat that.

TonyWilliams
31st Oct 2008, 07:21
I had a week's advance notice for the amended assessment date.

Geebz
31st Oct 2008, 11:50
Is Arik ok with a pilot only staying a year? The recruiting firm I spoke with told me this is a permanaent position and that they don't want contract pilots.

I'm on leave from my airline in the US so obviously I can't stay long.

Also, how high is the need for B737 Captains?

Gas Bag
1st Nov 2008, 03:46
What email or website are you folks (with callbacks from Arik) using to apply?

Applied for CRJ position about a month ago on Arik's website, as well as via Protec and Sigmar.
4000+ hours, 3000+ in the CRJ, am type rated and current on -200 & -900 and have not heard a peep. No 737 time or type.

Anyone have a phone number for following up?

TonyWilliams
3rd Nov 2008, 17:23
Current on 200 and 900 ? SkyWest?

mistarose
4th Nov 2008, 02:10
I was just notified after approximately two weeks after the assessment in London that I successfully passed the assessment. I am now waiting for a job offer from Arik Air.

The Q400 position is what I interviewed for.

chrislikesblue
4th Nov 2008, 21:41
Mistarose did you do the assesment on the 15-16 October?Who notified you that you passed,your agent or Arik?
All the best !

mistarose
6th Nov 2008, 09:37
I was there on the 16th/17th I believe, everyone was very nice and I had a great experience there. I am relatively inexperienced, I have just over 1400 total time with 400 multi; however, I was only interviewing for the Q400 position of course. As long as you have the type rating and some time on the aircraft your total time shouldn't matter to much to them in my opinion as long as you do well on the interview and in the sim.

Jeffdh17
6th Nov 2008, 23:49
Thanks for the post and picture of the accomodation. Pictures never really tell the full story, so I may be off base here. I've been to the IBIS and the hotel pic posted for Lagos in my opinion is nicer. Granted its not in the middle of Lagos but the hotel itself seems nicer than the IBIS.

So did you work at Arik and quit or are you still working for them?

Thanks again for posting the picture. :D

chuks
7th Nov 2008, 06:44
One of those instant slums, over there behind the Ikeja Sheraton...

I love that website. Rooms to Lagos standard, including window and door. Well, what more could you want?

Just make sure the pool boy uses HCl and not H2So4, otherwise your refreshing dip can leave you smelling like a rotten egg but with uncannily smooth skin and no fingerprints.

RWEDAREYET
7th Nov 2008, 10:55
Ahhh memories. I had a room overlooking the pool, much like the photo. But as I recall, the thatched roof was covered with used needles and not the kind you would use for sewing....

Charles was always pretty helpful, and there are much worse places to stay in the area.

chrislikesblue
7th Nov 2008, 16:46
The rooms dont look so bad.Ofcourse the pictures can hide things but it cant be so terrible.Hows the restaurant?The food is ok?Other restaurants near the hotel?
What about entertainment?Any disco or bar in the hotel or nearby?

chuks
8th Nov 2008, 05:43
You get the small traders selling whole fish and cane rat ("grasscutter", a rat the size of a cat) by direct marketing from the side of the road.

We would see some guy with a big fish dangling from a line off a pole there at 0630, on the way to the airport.

Coming back at 1730, same guy, same fish, after a day in the blazing sun. He's shaking the fish to make it look as if it's still alive, so that okay then.

Grasscutter, "rodent on a stick", they just dangle. Who wants to buy a live rat?

Then you would have the "Rat Quench" man, selling rat poison in the "go slow" (traffic jam). He wears a bright yellow vest with dead, desiccated rats stuck to it and "Rat Quench" in red letters fore and aft.

Old King Coal
8th Nov 2008, 07:34
Night clubs in Africa?..... Always packed with 'night fighters'.... great fun ! :ok:

chrislikesblue
9th Nov 2008, 21:56
Nightfighters sounds fun!!! Will they be allowed in the residence?

batsky2000
10th Nov 2008, 18:19
Hello,
Any chance to get a copy of the assessment profile from someone?

E-mail address: [email protected]

Thanks

brooksera
14th Nov 2008, 02:35
Hello There,

Can You Please Send Me The Prfile As Well Thanks.

Thanks

Elifant
15th Nov 2008, 15:45
Is it possible that some sends me that profiles as well, please ! Have a simulator in two days..... [email protected]

Todders
18th Nov 2008, 12:27
Hi guys if anyone is still reading this thread could someone please send me the sim profiles. I have assessment Thurs and Frid this week at Alteon if that makes a difference. [email protected] Thanks

TonyWilliams
18th Nov 2008, 16:41
What airframes are you guys interviewing for? I took the assessment almost 2 months ago, still no word (CRJ FO).

Elifant
20th Nov 2008, 09:58
Hi all

I applied as a Captain and TRI on the Boeing 737...if that helps. Had my assestment and am waiting for some news at the moment. Usualls you sould get some news within two weeks...

fly now
5th Dec 2008, 19:17
HY GUYS HAVING AN INTERVIEW WITH ARIK AIR THIS MONTH;
CAN SOMEBODY GIMME THE PROFILES AND INFO ABOUT THE ALL PROCESS?????

MANY MANY THANKS

I AM RATED 737 WITH HOURS TOO

TKS
:p

cabowings
12th Dec 2008, 22:57
Hi, does anybody from the november assessment received a job propossal yet?? :confused:

Bumfichh
14th Dec 2008, 08:10
I was there 20th Nov, Protec arranged the interview and called after about 10 days, i start in Jan!!

Hope you hear soon, Good luck!!

747fanatic
17th Dec 2008, 20:51
Does Arik hire over 60?

Afinehelmet
18th Dec 2008, 15:27
Hi Guys/Gals,

I've recently completed the Arik Air assessment at Alteon LGW and it went as follows:

Day One

Stage 1

Interview with two gentleman from Alteon (Not Arik), very friendly, professional guys. Interview lasted 40 mins covering CRM topics, personal history, tech questions about current type (B737) and the "why you" question. There was no "low ballers" or anything asked that a little bit of study won't prepare you for.

Stage 2

Computer game/micropat/psychometric/ATPL/Maths questions. This was covered in a classroom in front of a lap top and joystick. You had to fly an ILS, basically follow the Flight Director but the plane doesn't behave as a normal aircraft does. ATPL questions (25 I think), maths questions (type in a numerical answer, not multi choice) and 225 Psychometric questions. This stage lasted about 2 hours.

Day 2

Simulator Assessment

This was done in the B737-300 simulator at Alteon. As an aside I've never flown the classic before and this sim felt like it was in manual reversion throughout the assessment it was that heavy. The profile was straight forward, speeds are given to you by the assessor and you fly a departure, followed by steep turns. Track a vor into a holding pattern and then radar vectors for a two engine ILS. After landing take off again, an engine is failed and then you get radar vectors for a single engine ILS. All this is flown in raw data (Flight Director is not allowed) without any use of the auto pilot or auto throttle.

My SID was the LAM4M from 26L at LGW, stop altitude 4000ft. Then had to climb at 1000ft/min rate of climb at 250kts to 5000ft. Steep turns left and right, followed by tracking the 180 radial to the MAY VOR where the hold commenced. Leave the hold for the two engine ILS and then land, followed by the same departure, engine failure, single engine ILS.

Hope this information is of some assistance to those about to complete the Arik Air assessment. Good luck!!

Forgot to mention, I passed!!

TonyWilliams
18th Dec 2008, 16:53
Does Arik hire over 60?

Of course. Somebody has to clean the toilets.

TonyWilliams
18th Dec 2008, 16:57
I just got word that no assessments are planned for January, while they get those who have already been assessed into the hiring track.

spudster
21st Dec 2008, 06:42
Re: Age 60. Passed assesment after being called on short notice. Only about 10 days after applying. Late November. Then scheduled for NG recurrent in Denver 15-16 Dec. Kind of the fast track it seemed.
On Dec 10 got word from Arik that they regretted they can no longer accept pilots over age 60 due to Nigerian govt policy changes.
Anybody know what gives with this?

4931tom
12th Jan 2009, 16:45
Is the recurrent a non FAA check, or are they getting all their pilots FAA ratings?

TonyWilliams
13th Jan 2009, 04:44
I see you're in Denver, and I know that Arik uses CAE in Denver. Why not give 'em a ring and ask?

persefany
6th Feb 2009, 09:08
hi guys can one of you please send me the ARIK AIR sim profile, i have a date with their stimulator very soon.:rolleyes:

email: [email protected]

cheers!!!!!!!!!!!

TLBird
6th Feb 2009, 17:17
Hello I have an assessment with Arik Air end of Feb on the 737 please could anyone give me an idea of questions asked and the most likely sim profile?
Any help appreciated . please pm me:)

orientaldriver
8th Feb 2009, 10:33
Interview : Few questions about your career. Technical : what is the advantage of having engines at the rear...
Sim as decribed before.
Got interview with them in November but still no news.

TLBird
8th Feb 2009, 10:44
Thank you orientaldriver.Was your position for the NG?

I saw the sim descriptions and it all looked good ,so thank you to people that posted that also.

I was wondering if anyone could give a bit more detail on the ATPL questions, that was a while ago now, and covers so much.
Also some one mentioned a maths part of the assessment? Would be nice to get some revision done if anyone could point me in the right direction?:bored:

orientaldriver
8th Feb 2009, 22:26
It was for NG. Compass test is not difficult. ATPL questions :
why jets have swept wings, tendancy of aircraft at High Mach number, yaw dampers, some weather questions (fog formation), icing on wings, long range cruise, I cannot remember the other ones. Hope it helps and good luck. Also some maths : basic calculations, equations, trains opposite directions and meeting where?? fuel calculation, etc

TLBird
9th Feb 2009, 09:41
Thank you oriental driver,I shall get my head in the books:ok:
Not sure if this helps but one of the recruitment ladies told me they had werent recruiting fo the ng again until FEB that was about mid Jan.
Did you pass assessment and awaiting start date or were you still waiting to hear about assessment?

TLBird
13th Feb 2009, 15:20
igor12

if you go through these pages there seams to be 2, 1 form shannon, 1 from Gatwick.
That is all the info I have.
Good luck

pilot de peste
13th Feb 2009, 20:54
Do you know if they are hiring now First Officers CRJ rated?

TonyWilliams
14th Feb 2009, 00:07
Do you know if they are hiring now First Officers CRJ rated?

I was told that the last CRJ class for sometime was just completed the end of Jan 2009. So, I presume no.

crosscust
22nd May 2009, 03:41
Is there any way to get the sim profile? Please forgive me if it's already been posted somewhere.

Thank you

1000dollars
6th Jun 2009, 09:03
hi , anyone could tell me if there is some upgrade expected if you joint Arik air ?? if i rely with their Order fleet it seems that it can be interessting to apply .
Thanks.

ronin smith
30th Jun 2009, 07:17
Hi
I'm type rated pilot on 737 NG
also I am ivited by arik air on 28-29 july sim assestment...
Please could you give me the flight proflie....
looking forward to hear from you thanks

BEROK1W
30th Jun 2009, 14:17
Hi guys!!
A friend of mine told me that Arik Air has currently A320 family in its fleet.I've been looking for any signal picture,etc in their webside but I couldn't see anything:ugh:.Somebody knows something about that??
Thanks in advance for your information:ok:

TonyWilliams
30th Jun 2009, 20:32
Hi guys!!
A friend of mine told me that Arik Air has currently A320 family in its fleet.I've been looking for any signal picture,etc in their webside but I couldn't see anything.Somebody knows something about that??
Thanks in advance for your information

The specifications of various aircraft in our operating fleet as of May 25 2009 are given below.

Aircraft: Airbus A340-542
Quantity: 2
Manufacture date: 2008-2009
Seat Capacity: 237
Range: 16.050 km

Aircraft: Boeing 737-800NG
Quantity: 1
Manufacture date: 2009
Seat Capacity: 148
Range: 5,665 km

Aircraft: Boeing 737-700NG
Quantity: 7
Manufacture date: 2007-2008
Seat Capacity: 131-149
Range: 6.230 km

Aircraft: Boeing 737-700
Manufacture date: 2001
Seat Capacity: 124
Range: 6.230 km

Aircraft: Boeing 737-300
Manufacture date: 1989
Seat Capacity: 126
Range: 3.362 km

Aircraft: Bombardier CRJ-900
Quantity: 4
Manufacture date: 2005-2007
Seat Capacity: 74
Range: 2774 km

Aircraft: Bombardier Dash 8 Q300
(Denim Air Wet Lease)
Quantity: 3
Manufacture date: 2001-2002
Seat Capacity: 50
Range: 2034 km

Aircraft: Fokker 50
(Denim Air Wet Lease)
Quantity: 4
Manufacture date: 1990
Seat Capacity: 51
Range: 2055 km

Aircraft: Hawker HS 125-800XP
Manufacture date: 2004
Seat Capacity: 8
Range: 4,854 km

Arik Air is Nigeria’s leading commercial airline. It operates a fleet of 27 state-of-the art regional, medium haul and long haul aircraft. The airline currently serves 20 airports across Nigeria as well as Accra (Ghana), Cotonou (Benin), Niamey and Agadez (Niger), London Heathrow (UK) and Johannesburg (South Africa).

New services commenced on 3 June, operating from Lagos to Freetown (Sierra Leone), Banjul (Gambia) and Dakar (Senegal) 4 times each week.

The airline currently operates 120 daily flights from its hubs in Lagos and Abuja.

It employs a workforce of 1,400.

mimiwhiwhu81
31st May 2013, 16:42
I dunno if u still got a copy of the Shannon approach, but if you still do, pls can u send it to my email please? Its [email protected]. Better if u can copy/paste the email ad so u dnt make a mistake while typing it. Thanks a million.

riakiraetah
31st May 2013, 17:52
No one will use their personal email to send a random dude on PPRUNE something. Here is a link to the charts you're looking for...

http://www.fly-sea.com/charts/EINN.pdf

mimiwhiwhu81
4th Jun 2013, 07:41
I understand and appreciate the point you're trying to make, but I already have this chart pdf in my possession. Unfortunately, the chart used for the Arik assessment is different from the regular charts available to download, that's why I'm requesting for this exclusive oxford version to be either uploaded or scanned and sent to my email. Thanks. PS: no need to sound rude u know. Have I offended u in a past life?

riakiraetah
4th Jun 2013, 16:17
Wasn't being rude. First of all, was trying to help. You didn't say you already had charts, just not the ones you want. If you wanted an OXFORD specific approach chart, you should have said so instead of getting all butt hurt over NOTHING.

Secondly, was simply pointing out that nobody is going to use email to contact you unless they already know you. It is a simple fact of any anonymous message board. Are you new to this place called "The Internet?"

Good luck with the Arik assessment. If you think an attempt to help you is rude, you might want to bring some thicker skin to the interview.

Oh, and lastly, your grammar on the first post was atrocious. Apparently when you get offended, your grammar improves. You should stay pissed off. It suits you on a basic level. (THAT PART WAS RUDE...FYI)

FLYDHC8
4th Jun 2013, 17:30
riakiraetah:

The entire thread is talking about the Arik Air assessment so if mimiwhiwhu81 requested for the shannon approach procedure for the Arik Air assessment, I am sure most people who have either done the assessment or know about it will know mimiwhiwhu81 is asking for the Oxford specific chart that is related to the assessment. So even if mimiwhiwhu81 didn't specify, there is no need to be hard on him.

latetonite
15th Jun 2014, 07:31
People wanting the sim profile? Charts? Gosh, what did this profession come to.

Scrappy
15th Jun 2014, 13:22
study for something you should be capable of doing on a daily basis? Things have changed