PDA

View Full Version : What do you today Sept. 11?

Rwy in Sight
11th Sep 2008, 03:13
Today regardless if we like our not it is a date that would stay with us for ever.

Do you do anything special/ significant or do you try to make it as unremarkable as possible?

Rwy in Sight

CityofFlight
11th Sep 2008, 03:24
I can't forget the events. The words said within the family. I knew in my gut in was Bin Laden. The panic was my sister working in the financial district in NYC trying to get home by foot across the bridge and describing tearfully when she finally got a signal to call me, how awful the void was of where the Twin Towers used to be.

It was fresh then. That day and the memories are fresh every year at this time. I live my day feeling more empowered that the terrorists will not be allowed to invoke fear in my life or that of my fellow citizens. Instead, I have a resolute defiance to their abilities.

C of F

Buster Hyman
11th Sep 2008, 03:45
It's strange, with all due respect to those involved, Sept 11 diluted the events of Sept 13 for me...

Anyway, I was wondering, (CoF you might answer this for me) will Sept 11 carry more relevance than Dec 7th? Aside from the obvious generational thing, are they held in the same "reverence" by the US? Just curious.

Barkly1992
11th Sep 2008, 03:49
It's me birthday - and its the 11th of the 9th - not 9/11

get it

CityofFlight
11th Sep 2008, 03:54
Buster...

No, Dec. 7th has been recognized by myself and my family for years. We lost a good many men that day too. I can only say that if you were alive then--and I was not, it would have a similar resonance to 9/11.

I had just turned 41 and was married to a man with 2 children. I was feeling very protective of this family and what the day might unfold for us and how to explain things to a 7 yrs old, that I wished I didn't have to drop of to school that day.

For the first time in my adult life, I felt what any other adult must have on Dec. 7th. One never forgets, just moves on.

Howard Hughes
11th Sep 2008, 04:05
Never, ever, ever, forget!

West Coast
11th Sep 2008, 04:11
Anyway, I was wondering, (CoF you might answer this for me) will Sept 11 carry more relevance than Dec 7th?

Think it depends on age. For those of the WWII generation in the US I can't imagine anything eclipsing that Dec 7th. For some it was the Kennedy's death.The water shed moment for my generation (early 40's) was 9/11.

Loose rivets
11th Sep 2008, 05:55
The Rivetess called the office at NWI, I got ready to say happy birthday. I was looking out the window watching my fuel going on as the words sunk in...then hollerin' on the other line for a colleague at home to turn his telly on.

The office, vivid memories, along with a place in Colchester one dismal evening, as I was told about Kennedy.

heli-cal
11th Sep 2008, 06:08
I'll attempt to avoid being bored senseless by the avalanche of self serving unsolicited opinions, media and political coverage.

Captain Stable
11th Sep 2008, 08:23
I was flying that day 7 years ago. I shall be flying today.

UniFoxOs
11th Sep 2008, 08:32
Remember what happened, but carry on as normal - any change in our lifestyle is a success for them. Stepdaughter is flying today LHR to USA West Coast, cheapest ticket available was today, so I guess a lot of pax won't fly on this date.

UFO

Beatriz Fontana
11th Sep 2008, 08:46
11th September is my cousin's birthday. We'll be out on the town tomorrow night as usual. Whilst the day in 2001 is one of those "where were you when it happened" days, it was a terrible incident in a far off land, despite it being a catalyst for much of the world order since.

7th July 2005 will always be much more personal.

NIGELINOZ
11th Sep 2008, 09:14
I pray-that nothing like it ever happens again,anywhere in the world.

The SSK
11th Sep 2008, 09:15
September 11 1967 was the day I joined the airline industry.
September 11 2001 was the day I fell out of love with the airline industry.

Sorry for all the folks that died etcetera, but that's what the day means to me.

ArthurR
11th Sep 2008, 09:26
Never Forget, and never forgive......on that day I was working at Lufties in Hamburg, heard the 1st on the radio, thought it was a light a/c, then the 2nd, then realised it wasn't

Avitor
11th Sep 2008, 09:27
I am not a religious person therefore it is fair to accept that I have no liking for Islam and some of the more fanatical Muslims.
However, it might be worth wondering if the attack on the twin towers was indeed perpetrated in the name of Islam or was it rather more personal?

Juud
11th Sep 2008, 10:43
Standard part of my pre-flight briefing:
"Regarding the cabin security check; remember that on September the 11th, Flight Attendants were lined up in front of the cockpit door. To have their throats cut with carpet knifes. One by one, until the pilots opened the door. So donīt just go through the motions and overlook the carpet knife when you do your cabin check. Do it properly."

I think of September the 11th most days.
Of the colleagues who were murdered, of the pax who must have been so scared.

Atta and his mob ruined our industry forever with their acts of terrorism on September the 11th.
It has legitimised a great number of completely useless, hysterical so-called safety procedures. Which are incredibly time-consuming and add exactly ZERO to actual safety.
It has given rise to a powerful class of moronic megalomaniacs who rule airports where they shouldnīt even be in charge of a peanut butter sandwich.

September 11th. :sad:

Gnirren
11th Sep 2008, 10:54
Personally I think of the swedish minister Anna Lindh who was knifed down sep 11 2003. A great lady with integrity and charm.

shedhead
11th Sep 2008, 11:29
try to make it as unremarkable as possible then raise a quiet drink in remembrance later on tonight.Like many I was working that day and heard the news on the car radio while travelling back to Coventry from Luton,thought as many did that it was a light aircraft and only found out the true scale when I got home that evening.remember sitting stunned in front of the telly trying to take it all in.
and yes never forget, never forgive and if that is what your god wants from you then I don't think much of him.

TBirdFrank
11th Sep 2008, 12:06
Seven years!

We were half way home in mid Atlantic - on the Norway, six days out of New York with 600 locals on board.

You can't and should never forget the immediate and growing horror of that day, or try to understand the sick minds that could conceive and implement the horror - as close up as that Juud describes, or as cataclysmic as that we all saw on our screens

Damn religion - Damn bigotry - Damn politics

Can we all just get along - please?

BladePilot
11th Sep 2008, 12:30
Ode of rememberance

They went with passion to fly, they were vibrant.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against terror unknown,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Lest we forget

For all the crews, passengers and their families.

brickhistory
11th Sep 2008, 13:16
I went to work in the Pentagon that day. I left the building in a much different fashion than I entered it.

I went to work in a place near the Pentagon today.

Do not let the bastards win. The changes in our society as a result are close enough to a victory for the bearded bastard. I hope a bullet enters his brain soon.

There is at least one ppruner I know who was very personally touched by the attacks on 9/11. I wish him/her well today and raise a glass in honor of your loved one.

Ozzy
11th Sep 2008, 14:44
I remember being unable to return to the US from Europe for nearly a week. I remember watching the towers collapse on our conference's A/V system. I remember the very kind BA crew on the CDG to EDI flight (on September 13) that comforted me when I burst into tears in flight when they asked me if I was okay. I remember frantic calls between me and my family 3500 miles away. I remember all those who died.

I remember visiting ground zero everytime I am in NYC.

Never forget.

Ozzy

AcroChik
11th Sep 2008, 15:39
I have a part time job in an office high in the beautifully rebuilt 7 World Trade Center, from which there is a direct view of the seemingly eternal lack of progress in rebuilding life in my hometown. Various special interest groups have been at war over their particular visions of our future for years, much to the detriment of the entire city.

Declining invitations to memorial services at the site and elsewhere, and not wanting to spend the day ~ obviously not working ~ among colleagues, for me this is a quiet day at home, alone.

This evening, my mother and I will dine together in a favorite restaurant, the same one we go to every year. We never said this would become our ritual, but it has. Weíll talk about life before and life after ~ a bright line divides our lives. Sheís remarried to a wonderful man who adores her. I myself have married since that day; heís the sort of man you hope your daughters marry. Our husbands understand our need for some private time.

In a recently unveiled plan (perhaps it will one day be built), an area for contemplation has been set aside for survivors and for families of the departed. Itís an appreciated gesture, but I donít think special virtue or privilege need be assigned to those who lost loved ones in a random act of psychotic rage. Everyone Iíve met in the last seven years was in some way deeply affected.

Getting on with oneís life means that things change. Iím glad to see thinking about and discussion of that day evolve from stricken grief to quiet acceptance and even debate on what it all means. I donít know what it all means. I welcome all views save the obviously deluded.

Today I am also thinking about those who both survived and lost loved ones in Oklahoma City, and how the magnitude and visual drama of what happened here seems to have marginalized their equally painful losses. The federal government didnít set up a special fund to compensate them for their pain.

Over 1,000 human remains stored in refrigerated trailers at the New York Medical Examinerís facility are still unidentified. Even the most sensitive technology is unable to sort through the damaged DNA polluted by industrial waste. Perhaps, one day, techniques will be available to help those who havenít been able to give lost loved ones a dignified place of rest to do so.

My country and some allies have embarked on a difficult course since that day. My agreement or not with these policies is irrelevant to their rightness or outcome. I pray for the dedicated men and women sent into harmís way, feel pain for injuries they suffer and mourn with the families suffering the ultimate loss.

Life is different than I ever imagined it would be, but that is what everyone says no matter the circumstances. Lives can be rebuilt, as I pray the World Trade Center will one day be. Rebuilding is good. Itís the process of triumph over adversity.

Conan The Barber
11th Sep 2008, 16:07
I will do what I did Sept. 10.

Wallowing in self-pity and playing the victim does nothing for me. So I will be doing other things.

BenThere
11th Sep 2008, 16:28
Sincere blessings your way, AcroChik. I hope your father's spirit soars with you.

I remember vividly the moments before I heard, in a shop in St. Remy de Provence. Then watching the towers fall (narrated in French) before being recalled to base.

We flew home to California on the 14th, I think, cleared direct from Marseilles to 15 West, then direct Sacramento from coast in. We had the eerie experience of being alone on the NAT tracks, and alone in the American airspace, as non-military traffic was not yet back up.

Today I reflect on the loss, the change in the world, and the knowledge that this is not over yet, and won't be until the hatred that conceived such a misguided and cowardly murder of innocents is extinguished by visiting rightful shame and destruction on the perpetrators and those who supported them and cheered their vile act.

I won't live to see the day December 7 and 9/11 are forgotten.

galaxy flyer
11th Sep 2008, 16:36
Touched down at Le Bourget, almost seven years to the minute of theattack. Almost forgot, actually. But on every trip overseas, I remember the many touching words from around the world that day. Everyone, or nearly everyone, I have met on this Blue Marble, is kind and decent in their way. I rarely met real jerks, which is stunning to me, cursed with a sometimes American myopia. My newest career has really opened my mind, after years as a serving AF officer.

Lest we forget, indeed. A phrase for all time.

GF

Lance Murdoch
11th Sep 2008, 20:38
I was just about to finish my PPL in Canada on that day. Needless to say my flight test was postponed but I could not really complain after all I got off pretty lightly compared to some.

The memory that sticks with me most is not from the day itself but for the two month period afterwards when there was an air of uncertainty around as to what would happen next. My grandparents were of a similar age to mine when the second world war started and that was the only time in my life when I got an inkling of how they must have felt in 1939.

For sometime afterwards I admit to being apprehensive about boarding an airliner and was always relieved if the aircraft was crowded because that mean't it was less likely to be hijacked.

At the time I worked in the aircraft industry and many of my colleagues lost their jobs as a resut of 9/11.

So what did I do to commemorate today? I went to work like I did any other day becase I refuse to wallow in self pity.

Bin Laden and his ilk think that those of us in the West are spineless but a certain Austrian corporal had a similar view of my grandparents generation and he was proved wrong.

lexxity
11th Sep 2008, 20:51
What did I do today? I went to work and got on with my job. Quietly remembered in my own way, and took pleasure in the fact people were flying today.

Load Toad
11th Sep 2008, 21:23
It was a sad day, very terrible, evil, criminal etc. I'm sure the people who lost family will remember it forever. But it's time to move on - or perhaps we should remember every single terrorist act that ever effected anyone - I for instance would suggest when the IRA blew up the pubs in Birmingham (my father leaving one of the pubs before the blast) or perhaps their attack on Manchester when it was my mothers turn to be nearly in the wrong place at the wrong time.

http://heresycorner.*************/2008/09/terrorising-airports.html

BlooMoo
11th Sep 2008, 22:18
Depressingly predictable contrast in editorial style from the UK...

Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/11/terrorism.september11)

Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/09/11/dl1104.xml)

El Grifo
11th Sep 2008, 22:50
A truly horrendous and inhuman act, brought on by a combination of blind, evil fanaticism and unforgivable overconfidence.

An event spurred on by misplaced belief in a higher controlling power.

On the subject of misplaced belief in a higher power, I often find myself wondering how many of the poor, unfortunate souls who opted to jump from the burning buildings placed their faith in the same.

Like many others on that day, I muttered the mantra "The world will never be the same after this"

We were all proved correct!

Culio
11th Sep 2008, 22:54
I went to school, where my English literature teacher told us of his brother, who was stood in between the two buildings when the first plane hit. He was hit by falling rubble and knocked badly unconscious. A police officer risked his life and dragged the unconscious body to safety and then resuscitated him. They are still friends today.

con-pilot
11th Sep 2008, 23:03
I have no objection to moving on, for the failure to do so would admit defeat and give the false impression to heinous planers of this cowardly attack that it had succeeded.

Forget, no I will never forget. I will never fail to respond to a thread or a post every year on September 11 to express my sorrow and condolences to those who lost loved ones and give thanks for those who survied.

There are at least two fellow Ppruners here that were personally affected by this cowardly attack. While I have never met these two I consider them my friends, one was in the Pentagon when it was attacked and survied, the other's father was in the World Trade Center during the attack, and did not survive. I greatly admire the courage of the first and feel the pain and sorrow of the second one's loss.

There are some here who attempt to compare other disjointed and unorganized terrorist attacks in other countries to the events of September 11. I as well could compare the heinous cowardly terrorist attack on the Federal Building in Oklahoma City to the events of September 11 during which I suffered the loss of a very close friend. However, to do is erroneous, the other attacks are not comparable the attack on September 11.

The attacks on September 11 were the results of a well organized, well thought out plan of attack that took years of planning, years of research, years of training in many countries in the world included the country that was attacked. Involving many people trying to their utmost to assure that attack was successful and killed as many innocent people as possible. It was not a single pub, or church, or building that was targeted.

No, it was the plan by this organization of cowardly planners not to attack just one target, or two but four targets at the same time on that fateful day. The World Trade Center, the Pentagon, the White House and the Capitol Building. Two were successful, the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, one failed due to the heroic sacrifice of the passengers on one airliner and the last failed to materialize due to the immediate grounding of all flights in the United States.

This was no bombing of a pub, or a building. This was an attack on a country, its ideas and its freedoms. The animals that planned this attack murdered not only average Americans, they murdered innocent people from around the world, including fellow innocent Muslims.

Get over it, I don't think so.

Load Toad
12th Sep 2008, 00:39
This was no bombing of a pub, or a building. This was an attack on a country, its ideas and its freedoms. The animals that planned this attack murdered not only average Americans, they murdered innocent people from around the world, including fellow innocent Muslims.

I'm very sorry but I don't see that the size of the act makes it different. Or that this terror attack (whilst huge) is different than an attack that hurts one person or one family. We feel most upset when it is happening to us and people we know - of course. But it doesn't make what happened to us greater in it's severity than what happens to anybody else - there is no league table for feeling pain and sadness.

con-pilot
12th Sep 2008, 01:07
We feel most upset when it is happening to us and people we know - of course. But it doesn't make what happened to us greater in it's severity than what happens to anybody else - there is no league table for feeling pain and sadness.

I have no disagreement with that statement. As per my comment regarding the Oklahoma City Federal Building bombing.

Rwy in Sight
12th Sep 2008, 04:53
Thank you very much for your answers on what did you do on September 11, 2008. If some people still care to answer please feel free to do so.

I posted the question from the deperature area of my local airport. I SLFed 3 legs to visit two cities to have a couple of business meetings. For some reasons my trip on that day tend to be a very emotional charged one. Then straight from the airport to meed some pals (the weekly ritual).

Please keep answering

Rwy in Sight

BladePilot
12th Sep 2008, 09:46
Folks,
What is happening to this thread?
It started as a genuine heart felt call to remember those affected by the events of 9/11. The original poster reached out to bring together others in what he hoped would be a 'common purpose'

Why then has it degenerated into an argument about which horrific loss of life brought about by the acts of terrorists is the most important?
Who is winning this argument? who is laughing? probably the terrorists who have taken so many innocent lives around the world.

Don't do the victims (dead or alive) the dis-service by bickering amongst yourselves.

Please.

13thDuke
12th Sep 2008, 15:13
Fair point Bladepilot, but in the is case size is important. The IRAs idea of a 'spectacular' involved the murder of a dozen people at most (Omagh & others excepted). This was the attempted mass murder of tens of thousands of people. All of whom, by any civilised standards, were innocents.

Then, as now, the problem is Islam. (Which is different to saying the problem is Muslims before I get berated).

Remember the evil, but also remember the bravery.

Binoculars
12th Sep 2008, 16:49
I really don't know that I'm justified in posting here, for what can I add but cliches?

I have my own memories of the time and place, as does everyone else. To try to separate the incident from Islam has proven beyond the best endeavours of a lot of well-meaning western people.

We KNOW there are lots of of peace loving Muslims who just want to be get on with their own lives. We sympathise with those people but know that they bear the burden of defence for the actions taken by their militant brothers. I'm sorry, it's just the way it is.

I suppose it could almost be summed up like this, and those unfamiliar with me will have no idea how much it pains to me to say this: "If you're not with us, (and are prepared to show it.... my addition) you're against us".

You think I like the polarisation of the world since Sept11? Think again.