PDA

View Full Version : You are feeling sleepy, very sleepy.

Keygrip
11th Sep 2008, 00:13
I just bought myself a Logitech G11 "gaming" keyboard.

Dunno why really - but it was cheap enough.

One thing that did sway me towards the purchase is (was?) the apparent option to "assign" functions and macros to any one of 58 "G keys".

I would really like to make one of them into a "Sleep" key, so that I can prod the one button and have my PC sleep for the night (it's only fair, I do it).

Any suggestions as to a "sleep macro" or similar?

I thought I'd ask the guru's first - but I'm off to Goolge now.

Loose rivets
11th Sep 2008, 00:19
One Hibernates these days. :suspect: Greener, they tell me.

Keygrip
11th Sep 2008, 02:25
OK, I can live with that (never actually worked out the difference).

I did do my research - found a forum that had a couple of (what they called) "shortcuts".

Rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep

and (for Rivvitts),

Rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate

Now, my next project is how I get them assigned to keys. (I do *try*).

Loose rivets
11th Sep 2008, 04:42
Onece hibernation is enabled...mine is, thanks to this forum, my keystrokes are Windows - U - H.

Sort of makes a waste of buying a lot of buttons really. :}

green granite
11th Sep 2008, 07:00
My keyboard already has a sleep/hibernate button, it's next to the calculator button. :ok:

rogerg
11th Sep 2008, 09:24
If you do use the hibernate function, which I do and its very useful, I was told by someone who knows that at least once a week you should do a complete shutdown. This clears out any "cr--p out and stops a gradual slowing down of the system. The great thing about hibernate or standby is that the computer is ready to use in almost straight away.

jimtherev
11th Sep 2008, 09:40
From RogerG: "If you do use the hibernate function, which I do and its very useful, I was told by someone who knows that at least once a week you should do a complete shutdown. This clears out any "cr--p out and stops a gradual slowing down of the system."

Agreed; fact of life. I also use CrapCleaner (or whatever they're calling it this week) before doing this. It's surprising how much does accumulate, even if nothing appears to be going wrong.

Jim