PDA

View Full Version : Easa Part 66 B1-2 Licence

turbroprop
10th Sep 2008, 21:11
I hold a full unrestricted B1.1 ( Aeroplanes Turbine Engines ). However I have the opportunity to work on small piston engine aircraft in addition to Jet Aircraft. Can not get my headaround what modules I would have to pass to allow me to add B1.2 ( Aeroplanes Piston Engines ) to me licence.

Module 16 Piston Engines obvious but I have also seen Mention of Module 11B. Is this in addition to the Module 11 I have as part of my Part 66 B1.1.

Are there any other Modules I may need.

Jaxs
12th Sep 2008, 20:16
Just another couple of questions to the ones above.
(1) where can you do the pistons exam
(2) what books can people suggest for studying
(3) Any one know of anywhere ojt can be done to get the 6 months experience in the norfolk area

cheers

Rigga
13th Sep 2008, 21:02
Go to:
Civil Aviation Authority Home Page (http://www.caa.co.uk)
- and search for, or look up, "ELGD" - Engineer Licence Guidance Document.

ELGD contains a section for conversions to other licences that should help you.

If you are still unsure of what to do - phone the CAA Engineer Licencing Department! (No. in that booklet) They are there to help you and very often do.

Jax - all I can suggest (if you haven't already done it) is to try cold-calling everyone at Norwich Airport and then go to everywhere else!

Yoth
14th Sep 2008, 17:09
I don't think any part 147 training organisation does a piston engine module in the uk.
I'd be interested to know if one exists.

Geezer7348
15th Sep 2008, 14:24
AST in Scotland run the Module 16 Piston Engine exam but not the course, if there was a large enough demand for the course I would imagine they would put one on.

grafity
12th Oct 2008, 19:39
In relation to the B1.2 the only difference in knowledge requirements to a B1.1 is that you do the pistons instead of gas turbine, so you'd need the pistons as well, as you say.

However you'll have to do 6 months experience. It's all outlined in part 66. See the link below.
Pages:
L315/82 to L315/83 for the knowledge requirements
and
L315/144 for the conversion experience requirements.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/2003/l_315/l_31520031128en00010165.pdf

turbroprop
19th Oct 2008, 18:51
Cheers Grafity for your help.

Looks like only module required is Piston Engines.

I was concerned that as many light aircraft are wooden / fabric or composite then then Module 11B would also need to be taken.

Once got basic conversion ie six months experience next question will be how to get group / type ratings.

NutLoose
19th Oct 2008, 20:45
turbropropCheers Grafity for your help.

Looks like only module required is Piston Engines.

I was concerned that as many light aircraft are wooden / fabric or composite then then Module 11B would also need to be taken.

Once got basic conversion ie six months experience next question will be how to get group / type ratings.

Yes, you should have the prop if you have turboprops already..... you will need to show work sheets on 3 different engines and you used to be orally tested on them to get the group........ that is a pain as name an engine that isn't a Lycoming or a Continental these days.... plastic or wooden planes are not a problem as you can just get those groups minus the airframe, but you will need to get tin aeroplanes with the engine if you have not got it, because you cannot have Piston engines as a stand alone without a light aircraft...... or couldn't.......... If you get the piston Group it will give you diesels automatically.

Where in the uk are you?