PDA

View Full Version : 'Synch' Memory Stick with Laptop?

mcdhu
10th Sep 2008, 14:47
I have all the files I need for sim work (Ppt presentations, Ops manuals etc) in a folder on a memory stick which is great for taking to the sim.

However, I do all the work on a laptop and the only way I can see at the moment to 'synch' the memory stick folder to the latest laptop version of my sim folder is to delete it from the memory stick and copy the latest version from the laptop to the memory stick - quite time consuming (2+Gigs).

So my question is, is there a quicker way to 'update' the memory stick folder from the one in the laptop much as you can 'synch' an ipod to iTunes.

Many thanks,
mcdhu

Saab Dastard
10th Sep 2008, 15:30
Briefcase or Synctoy (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx) from MS might be worth investigating for XP. Not sure what Vista offers.

SD

mcdhu
10th Sep 2008, 16:02
Oops - sorry! OS is indeed Xp in a Dell Inspiron 630M and a Lexar mem stick.

Cheers
mcdhu

wittonbob
10th Sep 2008, 17:17
SYNCBACK from 2BrightSparks: File Backup and Utility Software (http://www.2brightsparks.com/) is freeware and does the job you want. Run the program, set up a profile to backup or sync from directories to pen drive and when it runs it will update your pen drive with those files that have been changed. Program works in Vista and is free. I have also set up the scheduler to backup my files to USB drive every 10 mins automatically so I'll never loose data again (I hope!!)

Don Coyote
10th Sep 2008, 17:18
synctoy does work well, I use it between a Vista desktop and a XP laptop.

Llademos
11th Sep 2008, 08:17
Briefcase does the job very well and is part of Windows. Right click on the drive the memory stick is on and select 'New Briefcase'. Then just drag the files and/or folders you want from the laptop onto the briefcase.

After that, when you next plug the stick in and select the briefcase folder it checks for the last updated file and, after confirmation prompts, synchronises both to the latest.

Ll

gizmocat
11th Sep 2008, 18:37
Synctoy V2 is definately the way to go. :ok: Works flawlessly on Vista and XP, and you can sync the same "stick" folder to as many PCs / laptops as you like. You even get a preview of what will be changed / updated on both media.

mcdhu
11th Sep 2008, 18:54
Brilliant! Thank you gents. I bit of 'hotel' time coming up so I'll have a go at your suggestions.

Cheers,
mcdhu

mcdhu
13th Sep 2008, 16:45
Brilliant thank you guys. Briefcase - couldn't work it out. Synctoy wouldn't install - something missing.

Syncback does the job perfectly!! Many thanks wittonbob.

Cheers all,
mcdhu