PDA

View Full Version : j160c good or bad

dsjoshua
10th Sep 2008, 11:53
hey guys need some guidance
buying a plane with a mate and we found a jabiru 230d that is awesome but a bit too expensive for us so we had to down size to a j160c. late 2006 model. 20 hours on the engine and 150 on the plane, (engine was rebuilt), has GPS and is a factory built machine, with an option 2 instrument panel comprising of a Dynon EFIS screen, two Microair VHF radios, and a Garmin transponder with Altitude Encoding. heard around that the 160s arnt as aerodynamic as the 170 and 230s due to the shorter wingspan and larger fuelsalage. that they are harder to keep up in the air and need constant work to fly them. just asking any one with any knowledge or past experience with the jabiru 160c to give a little info and insight on how they handled and wether they would be sa good plane for us to invest in to finish our pilots on. any feedback would be great guys cheers josh
ps if there is anyone that is looking to go thirds in a plane ideally a jabiru 230d with all the latest dash gear, and night flying gear aswell let us know asap.

Capt Wally
10th Sep 2008, 12:19
Am sure you will get heaps of advice here, 'jaba' for sure :) but one has to ask why an engine rebuild after only few hrs?? Unless it's obvious as to why that would stop me wanting to buy one dead in my tracks.

CW

Jabawocky
10th Sep 2008, 14:31
no such probs here Wally

Suggest he contacts me if he wants a good one!!!

J

Howard Hughes
10th Sep 2008, 22:37
Finally a Rotax (http://www.tecnam.com.au/category/12/default.asp) powered machine for Capt Wally!:ok:

VH-XXX
10th Sep 2008, 23:53
try taking a look at recreationalflying .com .au as there are often discussions on Jabs at this forum. If you mention Jabiru's here you will often get slagged about this "real aeroplane" thing.

I am a little surprised that the engine was rebuilt at 130 hours, but there's usually a reason for everything.

I would not go as far as to say that a J160 requires "constant" work to keep in the air, far from it. The J160 actually has an identical airframe to the J170, however the wings are 5 ft shorter. It will operate at similar speeds. Only real issue with J160 is performance at high weights at high temps will result in a hot engine and low climb rates, possibly as low as 400fpm. Otherwise a good private machine and cheap to run. A mate with a new J430 just shelled out $320 for his first 100 hourly with a LAME performing the work.

I know of a school that has 10,000+ hours on their Jabiru fleet with few issues given that they are well maintained by someone who knows the aircraft.

EXPECT to see a lot of those Tecnams flying around if they aren't too expensive. A nice twin 140 knot machine with glass dash that won't cost a fortune to maintain or overhaul.

Jabawocky
11th Sep 2008, 02:37
Don't send him there :ugh:

Howard Hughes
11th Sep 2008, 02:56
He wouldn't know what to do with all the fancy TV screens anyway Jabba, I mean all you need is a compass and watch!;)

Jabawocky
11th Sep 2008, 03:44
What???

What would he want to draw circles for?;)

J:ok:

notmyC150v2
11th Sep 2008, 03:49
Personally I would go for one of these babies Evektor - Airplanes for everyone (http://www.evektor.cz/airplanehome/)

The Super Cobra looks lovely. As does the Outback.

Looks like the traditional hairyplane makers are getting some serious competition now.

youngmic
11th Sep 2008, 05:58
The Dynon gear is very good, don't have the EFIS but do have the EMS and very pleased with it. The backing and support from Dynon is first class, check out there web site if you haven't already.:ok:

Ultralights
11th Sep 2008, 08:31
get the J170! climbs better, larger horiz stab, TO and lands slower, same cruise and fuel burn.

Deaf
12th Sep 2008, 00:33
The Jab 160C is fine easy to fly and goes where you point it, I find it cheap to operate. Two microair radios - you should have one working most of the time.

Important point to consider with Jabs is what airworthiness basis as this affects things like different radios, simplifyng:

Experimental (RAA -19) Do what you like

Certified - J160C(RAA -24) minor (eg radios) L2(LAME-Avionics) can do, major (Control changes) need Reg35

LSA -J170 J230C, D (RAA-19) Need factory approval for anything