PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Text Messages

fullyspooled
10th Sep 2008, 11:47
Does anyone know how to stop the constant barrage of incoming text messages that greet us after every landing in every country?.

I am sick and tired of being informed of how to contact the British Embassy, how to contact the police, how to call my voicemail, or being advised of the cost of making and receiving calls! I landed in Nice on the weekend, and was greeted by the same TEN annoying texts that I received in Madrid barely two hours earlier.

They are driving me f***ing insane, and using up message memory for IMPORTANT operational messages I want to receive!

airborne_artist
10th Sep 2008, 11:55
using up message memory

Que? Unless you have a phone dating from the pleistocene era you should be able to store 1,000 SMS messages without a problem.

Forkandles
10th Sep 2008, 12:05
...the pleistocene era ...

Is that where Morph is from?

Seldomfitforpurpose
10th Sep 2008, 12:05
Or you could simply delete the feckin things thus not clogging up your valuable storage space.............or is that solution a little simplistic :p

Forkandles
10th Sep 2008, 12:07
...IMPORTANT operational messages...

Nobody sends me any of those. I don't mind telling you, I'm gutted. :*

Little Blue
10th Sep 2008, 12:10
Your damned lucky then !
Landed in Vegas last week and before I'd even picked up my bags, received six of the lovely texts !
Deleted immediately....
Funny how you never get 'em when you return to the UK?!

SpringHeeledJack
10th Sep 2008, 12:37
Funny how you never get 'em when you return to the UK?!

That would be because your phone contract is FROM the UK and therefore such information would have been provided to you in the crap that accompanied your contract (either written or on providers website) and if you're like everyone else you didn't bother to read it.

A few weeks back I found myself at the 'drei lande punkt' where Germany/Holland and Belgium come together and there ensued an orgy of such messages. I've even been bombarded with service messages from various providers in France when walking along the south coast of England :eek:, obviously the signal of my UK provider was less than adequate.....

Just wondering do WE have to pay a charge for such messages when abroad ? To be honest I never go through my bills with a fine tooth comb.

Regards

SHJ

Seldomfitforpurpose
10th Sep 2008, 12:39
"Just wondering do WE have to pay a charge for such messages when abroad ? To be honest I never go through my bills with a fine tooth comb."

You pay for what you send and the ones you recieve are free :ok:

airborne_artist
10th Sep 2008, 12:42
You pay for what you send and the ones you recieve are free

Possible, but unlikely. You normally pay to receive SMS when outside your home country, in much the same way as you often pay to receive incoming calls when roaming.

However, the promotional messages referred to are free to receive, regardless of your tariff.

SpringHeeledJack
10th Sep 2008, 12:46
Seldom, are you sure ? I ask because several providers that I have used have charged a very pretty penny for sending texts AND receiving. The costs were approx 1 euro inc tax for sending and 70 cent for receiving. However, this was a year ago, so maybe it's changed now. It just wouldn't suprise me if the barstewards might charge for their unsolicited messages. Perhaps my trusting nature has been skewed by a lovely accountant who used to send me regular spurious unsolicited letters and then charged me 25 a pop hidden within his charges at the end of the year :mad:

Regards

SHJ

603DX
10th Sep 2008, 13:10
I would guess you are all relative youngsters, totally conditioned to believe that there is such a thing as an IMPORTANT incoming message on your little electronic dummy-substitutes.

If on business, an occasional landline call back to the office is usually quite sufficient, and if on a pleasure trip, what the hell are you taking the damned thing for anyway?

The joys of choosing to be incommunicado are priceless, and I value them.

Parapunter
10th Sep 2008, 13:23
Call termination charges don't exist in the UK but are commonplace elsewhere, so no in this country, you are not charged for receiving a text. However, ofcom is all very up for changing this in the next few years. Welcome to value for money Britain :mad:

Ofcom considers termination charges | The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/29/ofcom_mobile_assessment/)

Kerosine
10th Sep 2008, 13:32
I am sick and tired of being informed of how to contact the British Embassy, how to contact the police, how to call my voicemail, or being advised of the cost of making and receiving calls! I landed in Nice on the weekend, and was greeted by the same TEN annoying texts that I received in Madrid barely two hours earlier.

They are driving me f***ing insane, and using up message memory for IMPORTANT operational messages I want to receive!

fullyspooled, I would suggest if this is a major concern (and furthermore one worth discussing!), things must be going pretty damn well in your life :rolleyes:

SpringHeeledJack
10th Sep 2008, 13:33
I would guess you are all relative youngsters, totally conditioned to believe that there is such a thing as an IMPORTANT incoming message on your little electronic dummy-substitutes.

Although I wouldn't put myself in this quote, I have to say that there IS sadly these days a mentality whereby people have become conditioned to nearly always having said device by their side, which is probably more of a hindrance than a help. It almost has become a lifeline to this brave new world that we live in, replacing home phones for many. Just observe young teenagers seemingly always texting, rather than other forms of communication that were prevalent in times gone.

I know a couple of people that live their lives without a mobile, relying on their home phone and that planned things stay as planned. With the invention of e-mail enabled phones many companies expect their roving workers to be contactable at all times within the working day. Does this make people more productive ? In some cases undoubtably, but in most I suspect not, perhaps making them more stressed and their life more complicated. Amen to a bit of peace and quiet :ok:

Regards

SHJ

ZFT
10th Sep 2008, 13:45
Whenever I land at LHR I get multiple 'Welcome to Jersey' texts and I'm fairly sure that my provider does charge for these.

airborne_artist
10th Sep 2008, 14:32
a mentality whereby people have become conditioned to nearly always having said device by their sideWe had a conversation with daughter3 (14) only recently. She couldn't understand how we had managed without them at the same age. They didn't become widespread amongst domestic UK users until around the time she was born.

She was totally amazed that my wife and I had been able to make arrangements, meet up etc. all without sending a text every thirty seconds. Once I lost my 17 y/o sister in London - it would have come in handy, but apart from that, we coped :ok:

you are not charged for receiving a text

Most UK users will be paying to receive calls when outside the UK, though.

O2's charges for a subscriber when they are in France:

This table charts Call Charges. Prices are incl. VAT Standard Charges International Traveller Service Calling back to UK 0.35 0.35 Receiving a Call 0.18 0.18 Calling In Country 0.35 0.35 Calling In Zone 0.35 0.35 Calling Out of zone 1.76 0.93 Sending a Text 0.25 0.25

hippotamus
10th Sep 2008, 14:34
They can be useful , I was at Niagara falls at the weekend and wouldn't have noticed other wise that my cell had decided to switch to the American network , nasty roaming charges !!

corsair
10th Sep 2008, 15:08
Hah, that's nothing. When I visit my sister in law who lives in Monaghan near the border with Northern Ireland. A trip from the kitchen to the living room always elicits a text message welcoming me to the UK. One even suggested I take a tour of London and see the sights, like the Tower and London Eye etc.:rolleyes:

I believe you can get similar results near the English channel. Text messages welcoming you to France.

Abroad I always set to phone to manual connection to avoid it chopping and changing providers. Which is really irritating.

brickhistory
10th Sep 2008, 15:26
One called one's mobile service and directed that the texting function be firmly set to "OFF."

No 'man,' no problem.

airship
10th Sep 2008, 15:43
I empathise with the general problem obviously. However, on the very rare occasions that I do venture out into the wider Schengen zone (mostly Italy), it's been comforting to receive a brief SMS from Telecom Italia welcoming me to their network and confirming that I'm still connected!

What really upsets me though are the folk who send you an SMS (I much prefer an email or fax) and then call to check that you got their SMS...?! :ugh:

Farrell
10th Sep 2008, 15:57
Is that where Morph is from?

Bah buh baaaah boh baaahhhh????

http://www.aardman.com/morph/images/morph.jpg

Foss
10th Sep 2008, 16:14
Skiing is usually a good way for phones to go slightly mental. Welcome to Italy, nope, Welcome to Swiss, back to Italy. Costing a fortune.

So, bought walkie talkies and played with them instead.

fullyspooled
10th Sep 2008, 18:30
To Kerosine:

Yes, I must admit that that APART from the ******* texts, life is pretty good, for the moment at least, but my question is "IS IT POSSIBLE TO STOP THIS IRRITANT?

I am sure that this is the thin edge of a wedge that will soon pollute us with advertising - and possibly on a "city by city" basis. This must be nipped in the bud!

BombayDuck
10th Sep 2008, 18:59
Another country? I get six messages when I go to a different STATE! :*

Luckily I'm quite adept at deleting messages now :hmm: