PDA

View Full Version : Pilot headbutts singer pax (maybe)

Three Blades
10th Sep 2008, 08:04
Take a free newspaper (today's London Metro) and then go to the gossip column. Hence you know that we are not speaking of the highest quality of reporting here; however there was an interesting piece that I saw:

"...singer nearly met his maker by drunkenly grabbing the controls on a recent helicopter flight back from a festival. Disaster was averted only when the quick-thinking pilot put paid to the wayward star's flying ambitions by stunning him with a well-placed headbutt."

1) What is the general rule when transporting such hazardous goods ? Surely nobody in the front seat ?

2) If this is true - top marks to the pilot :ok:

FLY 7
10th Sep 2008, 10:00
Another good case for wearing a helmet:ouch:

FloaterNorthWest
10th Sep 2008, 10:26
Never put a drunken passenger in the front.......no matter how important they think they are.

FNW

SASless
10th Sep 2008, 11:03
Don't ever let a fellow from Glasgow give you a kiss!

topendtorque
10th Sep 2008, 12:37
leave them on the ground where they belong.

or, put them in back so's they can take an unrestrained walk when they feel the need, but then, it's a pain, someones' gotta spend half the day talking to the bloody feds, someone else has to clean all the blood and guts up off of the ground,

no, it's better to leave them to walk.

behindthescenes
10th Sep 2008, 16:15
If the 'singer' was drunk - why did the Pilot fly him?

RINKER
10th Sep 2008, 16:25
It's funny SASless mentions pilots from Glasgow. I know a really nice pilot from that neck of the woods and ex bouncer and boxer. Couldn't say he has ever done anything like that but when I saw the headline he sprung to mind ! .
R

WylieCoyote
10th Sep 2008, 18:17
behindthescenes,

If none of us flew people who were drunk then most of the big events such as Ascot, Cheltenham, Silverstone etc infact most corporate events wouldn't go ahead. Try doing the Galway races and not letting anyone on board who's had a drink!
Fair enough sitting the guy in the front may not have been a great idea but he may not have had much choice if the rest of the band are in the back.
If the pax are obviously going to be trouble then don't let them on, but I've met plenty of people who are pefectly charming one minute and complete t*%ts the next.
If headbutting the guy was the only option then fair play for making a command decision.:D

Non-PC Plod
10th Sep 2008, 18:52
Desperately trying to find a way to include headbuts in our SOPs!! Should they apply to crew members as well as pax when appropriate?

heliwes
10th Sep 2008, 19:40
Just make sure the SOP includes wearing an Alpha Eagle!!!

DBChopper
10th Sep 2008, 19:48
No, no, no, you've all got it wrong.

Drunken passenger lurches over, slurring through beery breath, "Lessavvago mate."

Pilot vigorously nods his approval. "Whoops - sorry!" :E

noblades
11th Sep 2008, 09:03
It left "use your head in a crisis" open to interpretation :ugh:

any idea who on receiving end???
did pilot get tip after flight? :}

r44raven
12th Sep 2008, 11:11
Or underslung nets:ok:

Bell 206
16th Sep 2008, 15:27
never had anyone take control whilst flying but did have a pax once remove his seat belt to lift the cap off a cold beer....:eek:

but pax did the right thing for me and put seat belt back on after removing 4 other caps for his mates....:ugh:

:D congrats to the guy for quick thinking and headbutting the pax.. i have wanted to on many occassions but not for taking controls.. :*

ivakontrol
16th Sep 2008, 19:21
singer nearly met his maker

It wasn't Amy then. :ouch:

206Fan
16th Sep 2008, 20:05
Was he an irish singer? :E

verticalhold
17th Sep 2008, 09:42
I try to stick the most sober one in the front, if I have to.

Over the years I've had one daft woman open the door on a 355. (Leaving Ascot, AlanM's colleague on 125.62 was not impressed when I slowed right down and came off the old north bound route to sort it out. He was bloody helpful when I explained)

One serious idiot decided to play with bits in the front of another 355, in the dark leaving Cheltenham (He got banned for life)

One poor sod who was stopped at the helipad somewhere else as he was too tired and emotional to stand let alone get in the helo, normally I'd have put him in the back and let him sleep.

Usually I just look at the state they're in and thank god I won't be them in the morning:E

VH

HELOFAN
17th Sep 2008, 13:45
If they were both strapped in.......thats a heck of a reach.

Personally , I call BS.
HF

ShyTorque
17th Sep 2008, 19:38
About thirty five years ago a fixed wing instructor I was training with was asked to fly a man plus his two children in a Cessna 172. Once airborne the man became very agitated and asked to fly to a certain area so his wife could see them. It turned out it was a pre-meditated suicide plot by the man. He had split from his wife and tried to use the aircraft to kill them all in front of her by forcing the CC forward.

After a couple of near vertical dives the instructor laid the bloke out by clonking him across the forehead with the fire extinguisher; all very traumatic, especially in front of his kids.

dragman
17th Sep 2008, 20:31
So THATS why there's now an axe under the pilot' seat....

Heli-Jock
21st Sep 2008, 20:42
Er ........ probably cause he was being oaid a fair amount of money! ! ! !
Why else would he do it?

rotorwash4944
22nd Sep 2008, 02:34
I fly for the local PD in Long Island, NY. I happened to be the PIC on duty the night that THE Mr. Billy Joel had an automobile accident a few years ago. I flew him to the hospital that night. Unfortunately, I could not get him to sing Piano Man over the intercom during his flight. :p

darrenphughes
22nd Sep 2008, 03:39
suffolk or nassau?

rotorwash4944
22nd Sep 2008, 04:23
I fly for Suffolk.