PDA

View Full Version : BA Comair buy Air Malawi

Arq
10th Sep 2008, 07:40
Malawi to sell national airlinerafrol News (http://www.afrol.com/), 9 September - Malawi's deputy minister of transport, public works and housing, Roy Comsy, has announced today that country's privatisation commission (PC) was finalising terms to sell 49 percent of Air Malawi to a British Airways-owned Comair firm for a mere US$3, 500.
Mr Comsy said Comair's deal with Malawian government also includes an irrevocable option to increase prospective buyer's stakes to 80 percent.

"What we are waiting for now is for commission to finalise final paper deal before airline is handed over to new managers," he said.

Initially, he said, Comair wanted 80 percent of Air Malawi but government insisted on retaining 51 percent shares of airliner.

PC chief executive officer, Jimmy Lipunga, said he could only respond to "The Nation's questionnaire on sale and justification" of amount today.

According to sources, Air Malawi staff met on Friday at company's headquarters in Blantyre after reports of an impending lay-off of all ground staff.

Some employees who attended Friday meeting, reportedly said company's union told staff that they would be retrenched except for cabin crew members.

But Air Malawi CEO, Wisdom Mchungula, expressed ignorance on development, saying he was not informed of any progress on sale.

"We have not been officially told anything. Maybe this afternoon or this week we will be told," Mr Mchungula said.

"But as I am in management, I am not able to follow what they were discussing," he said.

People's Progressive Movement (PPM)'s president Aleke Banda, who spoke against sale of airline in House of Parliament yesterday said it would be a huge mistake for government to dispose off Air Malawi in a hurry.

"It is important to preserve some of national assets. Actually, government should do everything possible to save airline. I know of countries that are regretting their decisions to dispose their airlines in a hurry," Mr Banda said.

Air Malawi Limited was established by an Act of Parliament in 1967 following dissolution of Central African Airways which comprised Northern and Southern Rhodesia. Central African Airways, through this development, split into Zambia Airways, Air Zimbabwe and Nyasaland Airways (Air Malawi).

Coleman Myers
10th Sep 2008, 08:22
At least KQ did'nt snap it up !. There needs to be competition for KQ and a greater choice for the travelling public as a whole !.

Sounds like the Hon. Aleke Banda is sad that free flights for all might be coming to an end :E

TwinJock
10th Sep 2008, 08:56
They have EXACTLY 3 aircraft! Major coup.:ok:

The route network also looks very "iffy" with at best turboprops required.

LittleMo
10th Sep 2008, 10:07
You don't run an airline for 62 years and never make a loss if you dn't know what your doing. Those Novicks have got something up their sleeves don't doubt it

CSman
10th Sep 2008, 12:58
I do hope it works out well for them, had a very happy secondment with them on the BAC111, great people,best of luck, hope everything works out well

Ibhayi
10th Sep 2008, 22:28
I can't help but wonder why. I suppose they believe there is opportunity within that regional market with a few turboprops and also at that price to be the official carrier of an airline hell it is a steal.

Maybe they dream of building a hub there especially if they can waive tax etc?

kotakota
11th Sep 2008, 03:41
Its all my fault !
When I joined QM in 1978 , they were running a VC10 , 2-3 1-11s , 2 Viscounts , 2 748s and a few Islanders .
The Shah of Iran did a runner , and the price of oil went North , all downhill from there , and they had hired Jonah - that would be me !!
Still , very happy days , flying after dark was a novelty ( except for the VC10 and the odd 1-11 flight up to midnight ! ). If you were domestic/regional ie turboprops , the flying programme was minimal from Fri late to early Monday , so 1-2 crews could cover it , ergo LOTS of weekends off , and a LIFE.
Malawi was great , thought I would never leave..............nothing ever lasts.

chrislikesblue
17th Sep 2008, 14:38
So whats the latest?Is it going to be sold ?Still doing negotiations?
What about the employees of Air Malawi,are they happy about this,what is their views?
Just curious...

wilford@global
18th Sep 2008, 22:35
Kotakota. I Actually saw a VC 10 at Blantyre , flying Blantyre /London. Sakkie van Rensburg. not many of us left .