PDA

View Full Version : Attaching files to posting

WideBodiedEng
10th Nov 1999, 01:54
Hi,
Does anybody know if it is possible to put, say, a tabbed word processed document (eg a Table or list) into a post whilst retaining its formatting?
Thanks in advance

------------------
The Stamp is mightier than the Toolbox!!

Feline
10th Nov 1999, 23:56
WBE,

Should be able to copy it to clipboard, then paste it into posting, b-u-t: before you do that, you should ensure that you format it in a non-proportional font (eg. courier) otherwise it (usually) won't display too good. Also, if it is a table with a frame (corners and T-connectors and so on) they don't always display too well.

Suggest the following: Get rid of all lines in a table, then select the text you want to copy, from the tool bar select Format, Font, Courier.

Check the results - you may need to lower the point size so that things still align

Then Edit, Copy, change to the application where you want to put the table, and Edit, Paste.

That may look a bit of a mess (particularly if you're using the silly little box in PPRuNe, but it will (should?) look OK when it's posted.

{Thinking about it, there may be some problems with PPRuNe because the original post is in a non-proportional font, but the post is "published" in a proportional font - so I guess the only way is suck it and see}

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)

[This message has been edited by Feline (edited 10 November 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Feline (edited 10 November 1999).]

WideBodiedEng
11th Nov 1999, 00:26
Thanks Feline,
I did try that before - with a page from an MMEL. It came out all Left justified!
I'll keep scratching around<G>
All the best,

------------------

TBone
11th Nov 1999, 06:29
A bit of a git, this problem.

The best I could come up with (and it's cracking a walnut with a 777 gear assembly) is to capture the screen as a pic file (bmp or jpeg) and then use UBB code to paste it in.

Formatted docs just don't work with pprune http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Cheers

Feline
11th Nov 1999, 22:47
Gotta stop meeting like this TBone :) :)

Personally I find it easier to use a 747 to crack my nuts - more of 'em around ;)

The presentation of the PPRuNe bulletin board is one of the best I have come across (actually thinking of using it for some projects of my own)... But the text entry panel does seem to be rather primitive and old fashioned (any developers listening out there?)

I think you may be right about putting it in a bmp or jpg image - bummer!

------------------
Feline

[This message has been edited by Feline (edited 11 November 1999).]

Nightrider
12th Nov 1999, 00:36
Never tried it but worth a thought:

Set up a website with the formatted list and check it with your browser to appear as desired. Now link it to the board as you link pictures.....

Feline
12th Nov 1999, 02:11
Yeah Nightrider - Nice One! But still akin to using 777 gear to crack a walnut. Fact of the matter is that this Ultimate Bulletin Board software is Real Nice - *except* for text entry panel ...

H-e-l-l-o - Any developers listening out there?!

------------------
Feline

wings level
14th Nov 1999, 02:41
If it is important that the table is displayed accuratly this may work if you have your own web page set up.

Display the table in the application that was used to construct it. Press the Print screen button, in Windows this takes a snapshot of the screen.

Open your graphics editing program, select paste and the entire desktop from before will be displayed. Now edit/trim the table and save it as a .jpg image.

You can not load that image to your web site.

Using the ( [img]http://www. my website.com/pic name.jpg/img}code in your PPRuNe post the image will be displayed. The codes are in the FAQ section.
Hope this works.

If you need any help then e-mail me at the address above.

WideBodiedEng
16th Nov 1999, 22:45
Thanks folks for all the input - the humour has gone off me now (and the thread I wanted to enter has more or less died) so I give up!!
Keep cracking the nuts!

------------------