PDA

View Full Version : Left click..wait.....wait..........wait...................wait... ..................

Flybywyre
22nd May 2001, 01:32
I seem to recall someone else had this problem not so long ago.
Left click on something/anything and wait for up to five minutes before something happens....and it's getting worse....begining to drive me mad. Anyone got any ideas....Please!
Regards
FBW
PS It happens on either the mouse or key & is the same with Mcafee disabled. Running IE 5.5 SE. Recent de-frag etc

WhiteSail
22nd May 2001, 03:10
What operating system are you using?

Has this only happened after the de-frag?

Have you got a program such as Norton System Works?

If so, have you tried any of the utilities to solve the problem?

Are there any other clues you can offer to help solve the issue?

Flybywyre
22nd May 2001, 12:27
What operating system are you using? Windows 98
Has this only happened after the de-frag? No, I de-fragged to see if it would help

Have you got a program such as Norton System Works? No

If so, have you tried any of the utilities to solve the problem?

Are there any other clues you can offer to help solve the issue?
When I first start up it's not too bad but gradually gets worse.

Eric
22nd May 2001, 16:21
If your hard drive is thrashing as well it could be that you're running out of space and as temp files get generated you use more and more

Flybywyre
22nd May 2001, 17:52
I deleted all the Temp internet files the other day.
My hard drive has a capacity of 9.54GB of which 8.49 is free.
The other problem I have is that I can never read my replies (only this site) until much later or the next day. I've tried all the fixes recommended on previous posts by others with the same problem, including the ? after the URL. No change.
Could these two problems be related?

Wino
22nd May 2001, 18:53
I had a similar problem.

I had a cable modem. Although the Thruput was enourmous, I could wait minutes for the transfer to start. Complained to the cable company, they said it was my machine. Hooked up DSL and problem went away.

I suspect that it is your internet service provider.

Cheers
Wino

WhiteSail
23rd May 2001, 01:40
OK. It sounds like there are some corrupted files (probably drivers) on your system or a corrupted registry.

You could try the following;

Open up to your desktop and go "Start" "Run" and type in SFC. (Make sure no other programs are running).

This command will scan the system files on your hard drive and ask to repair any files it believes to be damaged.

All you have to do, is put your WIN98 cd in the drive and when Windows asks to repair a file, click yes! It is recommended that you "Backup" the existing files when this operation takes place and again, the program takes care of this for you.

If this fails, it may involve a complete wiping of the disk (re-format) and a clean install to resolve the problem.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

spannersatcx
23rd May 2001, 14:01
It could be a memory leak, have a look at what resources are available, then you have to find which program is causing the problem, disable them through msconfig, start - run - msconfig go to the last tab STARTUP untick all the ones you don't need and then reinstate them one at a time to see which one it is. Failing that backup, format c: and reinstall.

Flybywyre
24th May 2001, 01:09
Thank you all for your help. This site is the most helpful and friendly site I have ever seen.
WhiteSail..................
Did what you said and the following files where repaired:
MSOSS.DLL
CRYPTEXT.DLL
SOFTPUB.DLL
CRYPTNET.DLL
MSSIP32.DLL
SETUPX.DLL
MSCAT32.DLL
MSSIGN32.DLL
CRYPTUI.DLL
I have now restarted and will keep you informed as to what happens. Hopefully I will be able to read this post, if so I will edit it to let you know. If you see that the post hasn't been edited then you know that I was unable to read it.
Thanks very much for your help.
FBW
YES. Post appeared, that's a very good sign.
Unfortunately the click and wait doesn't seemed to have changed but I'll give it 12 hours of use first.

[This message has been edited by Flybywyre (edited 23 May 2001).]

Oldlearner
24th May 2001, 01:22
Run something like HD Valet ( get rid of all the crap and temp files)reboot twice,then turn off all running programs including anti virus (actually it could pay to uninstall the dam thing but you will have to manually clean the registry ) then de frag. then reinstall op systen over the top.then defrag again
I am brutal with cleaning the HD and registry but with each step I reboot 2x

when everything is running smooth re install the antivirus
After HD DriveValet you can run a test before the real thing. Dump everthing there is nothing you need to uncheck

Sensible
24th May 2001, 01:38
I had a similar problem, it turned out to be a problem with Internet explorer 5.5 is that the version you are running?

I removed it then re-installed it then all was ok!

Here's the page for the uninstaller:

http://www.98lite.net/ieradicator.html

WhiteSail
24th May 2001, 02:02
Sorry you didn't get a better result.

Try "Sensible's" suggestion. It can't do any harm, and its certainly preferable to a complete re-install.

Make sure however, you do it through "Control Panel; Add Remove Programs".

Best Wishes.

[This message has been edited by WhiteSail (edited 23 May 2001).]

Flybywyre
24th May 2001, 22:15
Thanks for all the advice...........

It looks as if WhiteSail's done the trick. The system is running much better with only the occasional hiccup.
I am going to re-install 5.5 as well and hopefully everything should be back to normal.
Once again thanks very muchto all of you who took the time to post.
Regards
FBW