PDA

View Full Version : GDI What is it?

Lu Zuckerman
13th Mar 2002, 00:58
Every once in a while a window pops up saying the GDI (Graphics Design Interface) resources are low.. .. .I open the instructions and I don’t understand them. It states that if I have a 16 Bit system I should increase it to 32 Bit. I already have a 32 Bit system. It also says I should go to Norton utilities and open it up. This statement indicates I should raise the resources level which I did but the window keeps popping up and some web sites either don’t load or, they load very slowly.. .. .My system has a Pentium 3-600 CPU and 128 megs of memory. Do I have to add something to the computer to expand the resources level or is it correctable with Norton Utilities?

bblank
13th Mar 2002, 04:32
I'm curious about what Norton Utilities can do to increase GDI resources. (Enough so that I checked its product info page - I didn't see any suggestion of GDI management.) . .. .If you are using Win9x or ME then you cannot increase GDI resources with more memory - it is limited to a fixed 64Kb memory segment. (The reason for this, allegedly, is Win3.x backward compatibility. Without such a constraint XP is reputedly free of GDI resource problems.). .. .To monitor GDI usage run rsrcmtr.exe, which you will find in the Windows directory. As you open new applications, watch to see which ones are resource hogs. Applications that preview fonts (eg. Office) or have tabbed dialogue boxes are supposed to be in that category. Keep such programs open only when in use. AFAIK the only solution to GDI problems is to close unneeded windows and to reboot from time to time (if running your computer 24/7).