PDA

View Full Version : PC or Mac ?

Dirk
1st Nov 1999, 02:06
I am looking to buy a new laptop to take with me on my travels.

As somebody who grew up with PCs, and can remember the trials of PC-DOS 1.1 (and Pacman), I have never seriously considered the AppleMac. Now recently I looked at the new iBook and I must say it looks pretty impressive.

I understand it makes no difference as to what software you can run, and the salesman was very keen to point out the Mac's user-friendliness, multimedia capabilities, and things such as the low-powered processor.

I would like to hear people's views on the pros and cons of both PC and Mac. My main uses will be internet access (voice communication and video-conferencing), desktop publishing, ordinary wordprocessing, and the occasional spreadsheet.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated !!

Capt PPRuNe
1st Nov 1999, 05:47
As a long time Mac user I would vote for the Mac. The iBook is a sleek and fast little performer with long battery life.

Many PC users will talk about compatability and software etc but don't be put off by people who have followed the Microsoft Windows cult. All the popular packages are available for the Mac and you can save files in any format for PC users to open with their software.

I am now on my 6th Mac in 14 years and have never regretted it. My latest is the G4 and it is sooo fast. I use an older PowerBook for on the road but will seriously consider upgrading to the iBook soon (Xmas bonus permitting).

What the MS Windows brigade rave about, I was using on the Mac 14 years ago and has been developed and upgraded ever since. You won't find an easier computer for your work and to add software and peripherals is a doddle especially when compared to a PC running Windows. Just read the 'need help badly' thread!

Everything I create for PPRuNe is done on my Mac and then downloaded to a Unix server. Go for it.

------------------
Capt PPRuNe
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

[This message has been edited by Capt PPRuNe (edited 01 November 1999).]

Swamp
1st Nov 1999, 07:12
Hi Dirk.

I have been a PC user for about 5 years and had never considered a Mac. They were always that outsider that wanted to do things different (so I thought) and almost resented their existence. I was a Windows fan and didn't know anything different.

I bought a G3-400 Notebook because I could get one at a good price from a friend...no other reason. I was hesitant but felt refuge in the fact that I could run 98 using the program "Virtual PC" which "Emulates" the windows environment by reconfiguring your hardware. A similar program called SoftWindows98 does the same thing but tries to replicate your Operating Platform - far too draining on your computers memory I think. My old software wouldn't be obsolete after all. I had initially intended to run the computer as a PC.

I am a changed man. The Mac platform is user friendly, my notebook is at least 50% faster than my Desktop 600MHZ PIII and has more functions and better functionality that any PC I have ever worked with.

I use it for building high-end databases, Internet graphics, video editing and Flight Planning (of course), net access and it even stands in as a web server at times! It really is an incredible machine.

I will have to agree with Captain Pprune here. You cannot beat a Mac.

Having said that. Computer technology today is incredible. Even if you buy a crappy computer, regardless of platform, it will be more than adequate for most people.

Good Luck.

Dirk
1st Nov 1999, 13:23
Thanks for your comments guys, looks like it's 2-0 for the Mac so far.
Does either of you use internet communications (voice/video) ?
Dirk

Feline
2nd Nov 1999, 01:28
Hi Dirk,

Actually, they both suck. Windoze is in a perpetual state of development (ie. crashes all the time). The Mac is always a l-e-e-t-l-e bit behind (costs more and there are fewer packages out there). But if you know what you want to do (and get someone to actually demonstrate what you want to do) then the Mac is probably more stable (and beginning to open up a bit because USB peripherals should work with both the Mac and the PC). Macs are also (supposedly) better for DTP applications although that's now a close call.

If you are not of an adventurous disposition and want to actually use the thing to get some work done with a fairly minimum amount of hassle - go Mac. If you want to live dangerously (and try all sorts of programmes off magazine cover disks), go PC. Oh, and by the way, there are more viruses written for PC's than there are for Macs.

So go score this post yourself ...

PS. Whatever you do - don't try and run both a Mac and a PC at the same time - quick way to drive yourself crazy (they're close but they ARE different).

PPS. If you REALLY want to live dangerously buy a PC without an operating system, load Linux, and get a copy of StarOffice 5.1 (Incidentally, there are versions of StarOffice that run on Win 9X, Apple, Linux, OS/2 - and it's FREE !!! See <http://www.stardivision.com> - Help keep Mr. W. Gates a little less wealthy!)

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)

The Voice
3rd Nov 1999, 12:36
Can't pass up the opportunity to have may say on the Pc V Mac issue. It is well documented on JB, the trials and tribulations of my scary ride with Mac, and as a result I have been forced into using a PC just to remain sane, and a really B I G thankyou to somebody, (You know who you are!!) out there who was available day/night to really help me work out how the hell PC's actually work!!!!!

There are good and bad with both systems. There is no doubt there are advantages in that some programmes available to be had with PC's - a classic is ICQ - that far more tricky things are available for PC's than Mac ...

I prefer the ease of operation of Mac and its software, and that EVERY Mac ever created has been Y2K compliant and does'nt require any of the re-jigging that the others do ...

I am extremely happy to report that Mac have finally found and FIXED the damned gremlin with my system. Whilst I have found this experience very frustrating to say the least, I am proud and happy to be a Mac user of some 10 years standing. I have had 3 of the suckers and used them for business/study/and surfing the net and happily so.

I also prefer that 1 key stroke on a Mac over 2 or even 3 on a PC (talking about spreadsheets etc.) was a godsend, and did find that Xcel was'nt quite as easy as the Appleworks (or the old Clarisworks) spreadsheet to use. The appleworks software that comes standard includes a communications, database, spreadsheet, word processing and art works all in the one package .. more than enuf to well and truly get you started!!

I guess it will depend on what you want it to do and how much you are willing to spend ...

personally ... I'd go one of the new Imacs' ... however ... I don't like the choice of colours!!!!