PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo 3500 TV installation

Hamrah
30th Oct 1999, 13:25
Here's a tricky one, guys and gals...any help would be appreciated.

While stuck in Seattle recently, as a guest of Mr. Boeing, I invested in the above mentioned 3Dfx Card.

My machine currently has an STB 4400 video card.

When I install the new card, the system hangs up on Windows startup. The installation guide suggests removing the existing video driver before installing the new card ( tried that). But I get the same problem if I try to re-boot with a Standard VGA (PCI) driver. (i.e. no picture).

I have tried every other combination I can think of...

Any help will be rewarded by a Beer token in a hostelry of your choice.

Thanks.

H

Nightrider
30th Oct 1999, 18:10
most probably a dma and / or irq problem. Don't know your card but you may be able to change the settings, consult your manual while studying the systems settings under MyComputer/Control Panel/System

good luck with it.

Hamrah
30th Oct 1999, 18:47
Thanks Nightrider, if it had come with any sort of a decent manual, it might help.

I'll try anyway

Cheers

H

DarrenMoore
30th Oct 1999, 22:48
Hamrah, I have a book all about PC upgrades and repairs and there is a list of all irq/dma settings. I could photocopy those pages or loan you the book if you wish.
Darren

------------------
We are pleased to have some of the best flight attendants in the industry... Unfortunately none of them are on this flight

[This message has been edited by DarrenMoore (edited 30 October 1999).]

Eric
31st Oct 1999, 02:40
Found this site http://www.downloadsafari.com/thereviews/Voodoo33500TVAGP-9018.html
which mentions an AGP port as a necessity - any help?

------------------
Beer is the only reason I get up every afternoon

Hamrah
31st Oct 1999, 21:15
Darren,

Thanks for the offer, I have a good collection of PC Upgrade Manuals myself.

Eric, I have an AGP slot. I currently have an STB 4400 card fully functioning in the slot.

It has been suggested that the card is not sitting fully in the AGP slot, so I will try that later. I'm still curious as to why the system will not boot into Windows with a standard VGA driver selected.

Thansk for your help, people.

Cheers

H

TBone
3rd Nov 1999, 05:30
I have the same card Hamrah - you're obviously a bit of a games player on the side as there is no other use for this bit of kit !

Have you tried hitting F8 on start-up (or is it F9 ?) and selecting to boot-up in protected mode ? This will force a default VGA driver which should work with any video card.

I doubt your card is incorrectly seated as you would not see any of the BIOS start-up info (in fact - no video at all) and it does sound like a DMA/IRQ conflict, as suggested previously, which should be removed by booting in protected mode.

Once there, fire up the control panel and remove any non-essential devices from your configuration.

As win95/98 automatically configures dma/irq settings, the only explanation I can come up with is that you have manually assigned some resources to some other kit you have, or your card is defective.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by TBone (edited 03 November 1999).]

Skycop
4th Nov 1999, 02:21
Also check the BIOS is set to allow automatic allocation of resources. Some have a "manual" setting for legacy cards which may be causing the problem as it won't allow your new card to use the resources it needs. (Watch your initial screen for which key to press during boot-up to get into it. If you're not sure though, don't mess about with it as you can cause a major foul-up). Sorry if you already know how to suck eggs! Good luck.

------------------
May the Force be with you - and may Gravity treat you gently..