PDA

View Full Version : Mother gets life in jail for killing baby in microwave

Jumbo744
8th Sep 2008, 19:09
DAYTON, Ohio - A woman in Dayton, Ohio, has been sentenced to life in prison without a chance of parole for killing her baby daughter in a microwave oven.

Twenty-eight-year-old China Arnold chose not to be in the courtroom for today's sentencing. Arnold was convicted of aggravated murder in the 2005 death of month-old daughter Paris Talley.

She was spared the death penalty because jurors could not reach a consensus on the punishment.

It was Arnold's second trial; the first ended in a mistrial when new witnesses surfaced.

Defence lawyer Jon Paul Rion has asked for a third trial, saying a former cellmate who said Arnold confessed has now changed her story.

:eek:

mr fish
8th Sep 2008, 20:17
string the f:mad:g bitch up, simple as that!!!!

G-CPTN
8th Sep 2008, 20:22
Under what circumstances - legitimate or otherwise - would a baby end up in a microwave oven FFS?

tony draper
8th Sep 2008, 20:26
At least she will serve life over there,she will die behind bars,had it occurred here she would probably be out and selling her story to the media in eight years.

glad rag
8th Sep 2008, 20:32
Defence lawyer Jon Paul Rion has asked for a third trial, saying a former cellmate who said Arnold confessed has now changed her story.

pigboat
8th Sep 2008, 21:13
Under what circumstances - legitimate or otherwise - would a baby end up in a microwave oven FFS?

These (http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/cookbaby.asp), according to Snopes.

con-pilot
8th Sep 2008, 22:45
I heard somewhere, from someone that she thought the baby was a bag of microwave popcorn, I have no earthly idea if that is true or not.

At least she will serve life over there,she will die behind bars,had it occurred here she would probably be out and selling her story to the media in eight years.

Yes Mr. D, the only way she will leave prison will be in a coffin, as it should be.

CityofFlight
8th Sep 2008, 22:58
Another substance abuse person takes a life and gets sentenced to prison for with no chance of parole; all needs met including medical attention at the tax payers expense.

Somehow, the thought of this being justice to a baby killed in a microwave doesn't seem fitting at all.

Jumbo744
8th Sep 2008, 23:27
that woman must be really sick.
I mean, it must have been disgusting removing the baby from the microwave after he was dead. :yuk:.

CityofFlight
8th Sep 2008, 23:40
No doubt she was in a alcohol induced stuper to remember the details.

My guess is there was more than alcohol involved and these people tend to black out rather than remember the sordid truth.

con-pilot
9th Sep 2008, 00:14
Another substance abuse person takes a life and gets sentenced to prison for with no chance of parole; all needs met including medical attention at the tax payers expense.

Actually CoF, while not really disagreeing with your post, giving the death penalty to a person actually costs more to the taxpayers in the United States than life imprisonment, when the cost of all the appeals granted to anyone who is given the death sentence is taken into consideration.

There have been cases where people have been on death row for over 20 years with endless appeals, all paid for by the taxpayer.

CityofFlight
9th Sep 2008, 00:26
C-P...was this a plea bargain? If not, there will be continued appeals, no?

I have little left for anyone that shatters life in the small, innocent souls of children--as you can tell. This is one time that an eye for an eye seems fitting....but....that will never happen.

con-pilot
9th Sep 2008, 00:39
C-P...was this a plea bargain? If not, there will be continued appeals, no?

From what I understand, yes, it was a plea bargain to avoid the death sentence. One cannot appeal a plea bargain.

Well, actually you can if you are rich enough, or some Hollywood liberal stars pay enough money to try an appeal. With enough money one can corrupt one of the best legal systems in the world.

OJ Simpson ring any bells? :suspect:

(Not regarding an appeal, just an example of how money and fame can affect justice.)

brickhistory
9th Sep 2008, 00:54
Absolutely disgusting.

She deserves the same ending.

I hope there is a hell.

dazdaz
9th Sep 2008, 00:57
ConPilot
Very good point. I think you might be pertaining to (correct if wrong) where circumstances may have a duel outcome as to who was the killer.In this case, I take it (not reading the trial records) that the mother has admitted the crime/extenuating circumstances? I'm only supposing. If she killed the baby girl (with intention) let her fry.

This might not be appealing to the PC brigade.But here in the UK from time to time, debates arise as to the death penalty. Most people (on this matter) are lead/previous memories (over 60s) as to how executions were carried out in the 1940-50s by hanging.

In the US surveyed people found the electric chair/hanging non pc.
Having said that, why do not surveys enquire as to the mode of execution?

I believe WWII most senior German military (fall of Berlin) were issued with cyanide capsules, death instantaneously. So why faff around with hanging/drug induced death via looking for veins in the arm to introduce the three types of drugs.

Little chew on a cyanide pill...sorted. Having said that, I have no argument with the appeal process in the US. Just the style of executions (above para) could save $$$$$ or more.

sthaussiepilot
9th Sep 2008, 00:59
F:mad: Stupid Woman!

Who the :mad: does that!!!

Put her in a f:mad: microwave!

Foss
9th Sep 2008, 12:48
Is it just the fact that she put the baby in a microwave?
What about the stories about babies being found in bins, or landfill sites.

Killing her isn't going to make any difference. The kid's dead.
If you lock her up for the rest of her natural life will it make any difference?
That will also cost a lot of money.

So, kill her. No lawyers, no legal fees, no book deals. Unmarked grave.

Flying Binghi
9th Sep 2008, 12:51
killing her baby daughter in a microwave oven.

mental illness anybody ?

sthaussiepilot
9th Sep 2008, 12:53
just leave kids alone... well leave people alone, but especially kids...

G-CPTN
9th Sep 2008, 14:19
Presumably, what this woman did (if, indeed it was her and not her partner) was relatively short, whereas:-
A 17-month-old boy died after suffering a catalogue of injuries including a broken back which would have left him paralysed,
The injuries included eight fractured ribs, a missing tooth and the tops of his fingers which were also missing.
Over the last seven or eight months of his short life, he was subjected to a course of assaults of increasing violence. The eight fractured ribs were more than a week old, the lesions on his scalp and ears were ulcerated and there was a healing tear to the membrane between his lip and gum,
The most serious injury had been the broken back. That particular injury requires an extremely forceful hyperextension of the spine by, for example, forcing a child's back over your bent knee or over a banister rail.
BBC NEWS | England | London | 'Revulsion' at dead baby injuries (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7606190.stm)

Jumbo744
9th Sep 2008, 16:32
this is truly shocking :oh:

JohnRayner
9th Sep 2008, 21:10
Nah, just another sunny day in a land without birthing licenses...

frostbite
9th Sep 2008, 21:41
Maybe she just intended to defrost it?

StoneyBridge Radar
9th Sep 2008, 21:53
Maybe she just intended to defrost it?

Hey honey, I got a bun in the oven.... :uhoh:

As usual, the only winners are the lawyers, who in defending this deviant have more regard for their bank balance than for anything proactive. :*

CityofFlight
10th Sep 2008, 16:34
Consider the source....thread drift and ramblings are to be expected.

Jimmy Macintosh
10th Sep 2008, 17:21
I still prefer the idea of the French prison described in the book "Catch me if you Can." No idea if it is correct or not.

6x6x6, no window or light and a bucket in the corner. Coffee, broth and water, and a wedge of bread. Pretty much all they get.

I've never understood why rights are given to those that violate rights of others.

Here's a quote from Frank Abingale (the guy in the story) from 2007:

"The truth is, as harsh as the French prisons were, I thought they were the most effective of all. No one ever came in and beat me up or physically abused me, but what they were literally saying is, "You don't know how to live in society, so we're going to take you out of society. You acted like an animal, so we're going to treat you like an animal. We're going to put you in this box, and you can think about what you did."
I think it was much more effective as a deterrent than sending you to a U.S. federal prison, where I played miniature golf, I watched movies on the weekend, I had the best of food. Someone took care of every need I had - medical, dental. It wasn't a bad life. And it's even better now. When I was in a federal prison, you could never make a phone call - the only way you got a call is if you had a death in your immediate family. Then you went to the warden's office and got to speak for 10 minutes to a family member. Now you have pay phones, you have the Internet, you have your computer. If you're married or have a girlfriend, you have conjugal visits. So it's not much of a deterrent. When you go to a French prison, their rate of recitism is less than 1%, and that's the reason. Ours is like 67%. When I go to France now, I don't double park, I don't jaywalk, I don't do anything that would put me at risk of going to jail."

Sounds effective to me.

Jumbo744
10th Sep 2008, 19:56
I was struck by the way we accept the deaths of some quite happily while being utterly aghast of others.

I couldn't agree more. I always fear of being called a racist when I make this comparison but, for exemple, during the world war 2, 6 millions jews were exterminated, while during that same war, more than 20 million russians died. But we never hear about those 20 millions that were killed and it even shocks me that a lot of people don't even know that so many russians were killed.

I am not russian, I am not racist.I think that any human life is important and deserves the same respect.

Abusing_the_sky
10th Sep 2008, 21:01
To all baby killers (and/or baby harmers); regardless you've done it whilst "drunk, high on crack, drunk and high on crack, Fairy told you to, the voice inside you told you to, effin Garfield told you to"...
I never wished anything bad to happen to anyone. I'll make an exception in your case....
I hope you get sentenced (if not death row) to life; i wish cellmates rape you day in day out. I wish the same cell mates stub ciggies on your body; i hope you get hit by the worst illnesses i.e. cancer (take the cancer off the ones who definitely don't deserve it and YOU, BABY KILLER, deal with it) or AIDS. I hope you try to kill yourself but you can't as there's always going to be someone who will prolonge your sufferance.
I hope you never get any sleep as nightmares will hunt you for the rest of your life; I hope you rot in hell and if you believe in re-incarnation, you'll come back as the lowest form of life i.e. one that i might step on and squash it without knowing.
You, the baby killer/harmer are what i hate the most and God forbid i ever meet you (which i wont cause I'm weary enough and i want MY baby safe)
DIE AND ROT IN HELL

NO REGARDS,
ATS

(genuine posters, sorry for the rant, this is a very delicate subject for me to deal with)

galaxy flyer
11th Sep 2008, 15:27
Recently, the NY Times (Pravda on the Hudson) had a long invesigative piece exploring life sentences without parole. Shocked, shocked they were that convicts were DYING in prison. The point seemed to be, if sentenced to life without parole, in old age, one should get......paroled. UNf***ingbelievable.

GF

con-pilot
11th Sep 2008, 16:20
When I stated that people who receive life without parole in prison usually die in prison there are exceptions.

One such exception I was involved in a very minor capacity. I was dispatched in one of our small jets (a Sabre 80 if anyone really wants to know) to pick up a prisoner in a small town. When we saw the prisoner I was surprised to see that it was a little old man. It turns out that this guy had plead guilty to murder when he was 18 and was given life without parole. He was now 76, he had been in prison for 58 years. Because of his age and the fact that he had been a model prisoner for all those 58 years he received a pardon and was released.

After being free for about 6 months, he walked into a bank, put his hand in his coat pocket and asked for, not demanded, 'some money'. The teller handed him some 10 and 20 dollar bills, then this old man walked out of the bank, sat down on the sidewalk (pavement) and waited for the police to arrive. Believe it or not, the Bank manager went out and waited with him.

When asked why he robbed the bank he replied that the only life he knew was in prison. He did not like being in the outside world and wanted to go back to prison. He got his wish, however, I took him to what we called a 'White Line' very low security prison that only have a painted line to restrict the inmates area, this one is at Maxwell Air Force Base. He was appointed as a trustee and as far as I know he is still there.

airship
11th Sep 2008, 16:34
That's a nice story c-p :ok: Ideally though, he'd have been pardonned and then welcomed somewhere where the only harm in case he reoffended would be to say, stray cats/dogs/horses/wolves/bison etc. - there's much to admire in some US prisons' initiatives towards rehabilitating inmates. Arguably, there's a lot more that needs to be done in order to overcome (or at least remind everyone) that we should also forgive...

I know, I'm simply dreamin' (or more probably, had too much Scotch)... :(

G-CPTN
11th Sep 2008, 16:35
I guess, in some respects, it's the same for some service personnel, especially those that joined-up straight from school. When they leave they have no skills for living in the outside world. Many offend or drop-out (of the society of which they never were a part).
I travelled to (East) Germany in 1990, shortly after the Wall came down and had 'interesting' discussions with residents, in particular one chap who admitted that "We aren't used to making decisions. For forty years, if we wanted a car we paid the State and waited years until we were told that it was ready (if we were lucky). No choice of any sort, not even colour. Now we have several manufacturers, each with a range of models and a host of options - we just aren't ready for such decisions."

future.boeing.cpt
15th Sep 2008, 08:54
She needs to be put in a microwave

..set on low

..for long enough so that it just doesn't kill her.

airship
15th Sep 2008, 17:21
You may be right: She needs to be put in a microwave

..set on low

..for long enough so that it just doesn't kill her. But in real life, even innocent people get accused of child abuse. So, just in case you're wrong, would you prefer a bunch of thyme, romarin or other herbs to be thrown into the microwave with yourself?

I apologise for saying so, but people who share your views are at best, a bunch of a$$holes with little or zero conceptions of empathy or justice. Burning 'witches' at the stake would be considered a festive occasion to you - correct me if I'm wrong...?! :rolleyes:

con-pilot
15th Sep 2008, 17:30
But in real life, even innocent people get accused of child abuse. So, just in case you're wrong, would you prefer a bunch of thyme, romarin or other herbs to be thrown into the microwave with yourself?

She plead guilty airship, perhaps you were unaware of that fact.

airship
15th Sep 2008, 17:53
She plead guilty airship, perhaps you were unaware of that fact. Oh my goodness?! Without even being subjected to water-boarding?! A great tribute for American justice undoubtedly.

BTW, has anyone yet concluded whether death by microwaves, death by involuntary and massive collateral damage because of laser-guided weapons or death by legal-termination of pregnancies within a legally-defined period is better or worse...?!

I raise my tumbler of Scotch to you all...

CityofFlight
15th Sep 2008, 17:57
Airship, just out of curiosity....can you ever admit an error without being insulting?

brickhistory
15th Sep 2008, 18:08
BTW, has anyone yet concluded whether death by microwaves, death by involuntary and massive collateral damage because of laser-guided weapons or death by legal-termination of pregnancies within a legally-defined period is better or worse...?!

I raise my tumbler of Scotch to you all...

I predict the last noun mentioned will shortly join the list of lethal methods of death for at least one.

airship
15th Sep 2008, 18:42
CoF, so far as I'm concerned, admitting that one is in error and insulting (some 3rd party because one was wrong) is an entirely alien concept to me. If you believe nevertheless, that I'm guilty of this, then provide some proof...?! :rolleyes:

If you're upset that I apparently have little time for all those that campaign for or otherwise bask in the 'newfound' challenges surrounding child abuse, child rights or whatever most recently, then you're right. You may be convinced that the manner in which you go about things will improve the lot of anyone who is currently being abused. However, I'm of the firm belief that were it not for the 95% of other would-be child abusers that endeavour not to infringe society's limits, you would be right (to burn them at the stake). Many paedophiles at least, might raise the phenomenom of why so many lovely children in places like Iraq or Afghanistan go to their deaths without even a 'harmless' cuddle before their innocent bodies get blown apart for whatever reason. The same for Africa. I'm trying to integrate thoughts of children being forced to fight wars as grown-ups (fighting the battles most countries wouldn't even admit financing), watching their parents being slaughtered and then relying on our aid and goodwill Perhaps, if they understood what everyone was trying to do for them, they'd realise that we don't mind that youngsters are fighting wars today in place of our own troops. And if their even younger sisters are being raped or abused as a consequence, well, that's life, pretty much as I've experienced to date. :sad:

PS. brick, I realise why you pi$$ me off so much. You're quite unlike most Americans I come across these days. Who question, sometmes even ridicule their country's foreign policy, as either too rigid and dogmatic or at least insufficiently thought out as to encompass what a) we're trying to accomplish and b) what we hope to obtain at the end of the day.

Brick , let's face it, you're a churner. At least if you were back on the farm, you'd be contributing in some way. Otherwise, why bother...?!

CityofFlight
15th Sep 2008, 18:49
:ugh::ugh: I should've known better... :rolleyes:

airship
15th Sep 2008, 18:59
Go take a walk on the pier, say Hi to Bill Gates and have an ice-lolly CoF...?! :}

con-pilot
15th Sep 2008, 19:03
:ugh::ugh: I should've known better...:rolleyes:

Sorry, I should have warned you. :uhoh:

Just remember, no matter what any thread's subject matter, airship will attempt to hijack the thread to promote his endless, repetitive, redundant, illogical bashing of the United States.

For an example, please note this thread started by Loose Rivets:

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/343316-water-softening-latest-thoughts.html

CityofFlight
15th Sep 2008, 19:10
Con...I knew going into it. Airship and I have a history together--of not understanding one another! :p Must be the translation from English to English thing. ;)

brickhistory
15th Sep 2008, 19:14
Must be the translation from English to English thing.

You musn't blame yourself.

Not many here speak 'ludicrous.'

airship
15th Sep 2008, 19:36
When are you all going to 'let up' and consider allowing everyone else the right to live their own lives...until, if or when they transgress society(s limits?!

Unlike present company - you don't need to be a paedophile, you just have to demonstrate that you've another opinion, different to their own, before the virtuous Katrina-Ike-like hurricane befalls you. It's simply gang warfare, in the best LA tradition...?! Hey, let's bond OK, let's all go out and find a black guy to thump tonight...?! :uhoh:

con-pilot
15th Sep 2008, 19:50
Must admit, he's on a roll tonight. Funny, Scotch makes me all mellow and all nice like. I guess not with him. :ooh:

Now he's gone to hurricanes, gang activity in LA to racial attacks. All in one post. :p

That might be a new record even for him.

Foss
15th Sep 2008, 20:19
There must be a way we can get a Kevin Bacon connection somehow.

CityofFlight
15th Sep 2008, 20:30
Microwaved Bacon! I'm sure he could link it and string Gitmo and gang violence-pedophilia, all into one sentence. :} :E

Foss
15th Sep 2008, 22:13
This is more of a ramble than strictly a Kevin Bacon, never tried before.

Right.
Elvis Presly, well known singer, liked fried banana, peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. He was also know to some as the King. Like Rodney King, who after a slight disagreement, caused the LA riots in 1992 where gangs of black youths rioted, raped and generally misbehaved. They probably stole a few microwaves.
The LA riots concentrated on built up South Central completely different to South Park, a small child is routinely killed there, once in a microwave probably, but one of the main characters was Chef, another singer of some repute in real life called Issac Hayes, who left because they made fun of Scientology which is a religion and not a cult.
Meanwhile, a Jewish (probably) playwright bloke called Aaron Sorrin was talking to his sister Deborah on the phone. They were probably saying how bad Nazis were when she said she had to go to work, as a lawyer, to Guantanamo Bay. She was defending marines, like the baby killers who went to Vietnam, who had killed one of their own men by hazing him to death, he probably overheated, that's what usually happens.
Aaron thought that would be a great film 'I'll call it 'A Few Good Men', but not 'Three men and a baby'. So he phoned up Tom Cruise, who was being nice to Issac Hayes 'Chef' by saying no, Scientology was a religion, of course it wasn't a cult.
Cruise said it'd be a great movie, why don't you phone Kevin Bacon. He'll help me put someone away for a despicable murder. Before he got famous and used to wait on table, and probably used a microwave. He's also got two kids, but he's never put any bacon, baby or otherwise in the microwave.

Rubbish isn't it. :}

con-pilot
15th Sep 2008, 22:29
Dang Foss, you be drinking Scotch with airship? ;)

CityofFlight
15th Sep 2008, 22:30
Foss, I'm sure Airship will not only find this to make perfect sense, but will add valuable feedback to your post. :ok:

BTW.....cheers, Con!

BlueDiamond
16th Sep 2008, 09:53
Excellent effort there, Foss! :ok:

If I hadn't seen it myself, I don't think I would have believed it. In spite of having previous posts deleted from this thread (because of his hijacking attempts), Airship has actually gone on to truly excel himself. Unbelievable. Even inter-racial violence and gang warfare managed to get a mention!

I'm off now to do some serious research in an attempt to find a subject that even Airship cannot turn to his own personal agenda. Changes in the Gaelic language over the last millennium, perhaps, or a dissertation on Cicely Mary Barker's pretty Flower Fairies books ... :rolleyes:

airship
16th Sep 2008, 13:06
Rubbish isn't it. :} Not at all, I enjoyed it :ok:

Just how is one supposed to 'conduct oneself' in a discussion about a mother who kills her baby in a microwave...? :confused:

The very idea is so abhorrent that my initial reaction was probably the equivalent of how our ape cousins usually react under stressful situations - by running about wildly, screaming and shouting etc., so I can understand why many of my earlier posts were summarily deleted and why I was initially banned from this thread. Quite a few others have reacted similarly, by introducing some pretty black humour in their posts. That's normal under the circumstances, I reckon.

The point is, some people apparently believe that a reasoned discussion is in fact possible on such a ghastly topic. A few of you would prefer (to put it politely) that the mother got the chair or similar treatment to what she inflicted on her child. And that's what really riles me up. Others point out that she 'confessed'. I don't know whether or not the mother is or was temporarily insane, or otherwise under the influence of drugs etc. when she did it. But it appears that she was judged as a sane person. That being the case, she must be Dr. Josef Mengele reincarnated or something. And we're very lucky that she was caught in time before she was able to carry out the same experiments on a much larger scale I guess. :rolleyes: That she was not sentenced to death may also have something to do with US Justice's widespread (and to my mind) often incomprehensible use of plea-bargaining.

And I shall reiterate here, what I said in an earlier post: we apparently take extraordinary exception to acts committed by individuals (insane or not), yet almost wholly ignore that our governments carry out similarly horrific acts on babies and children almost on a daily / weekly basis (and have done so ever since we've had governments - democratically-elected or not). These atrocities are often all too simply explained away by saying "it's the war against terror, it's inevitable that there are innocent victims..." or something similar. That may help you all sleep more easily at night. But frankly, I need the Scotch...

brickhistory
16th Sep 2008, 13:11
(and to my mind)

Is that really the source you want to rely on?

Seriously?!