PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Julie Heselden

NutLoose
8th Sep 2008, 14:34
:ok: :D

From http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080908/tuk-uk-britain-arrows-fa6b408.html

LONDON (Reuters) - A British woman has paid 1.5 million pounds in a charity auction to fly with the Royal Air Force's aerobatic Red Arrows display jets, the Help for Heroes charity said on Monday.

Julie Heselden's winning bid gives her and eight family members or friends the opportunity to fly in the nine famous display Hawk jets after the Royal Air Force put the Red Arrows up for auction for the first time.
Heselden is married to Jimi Heselden. He owns HESCO Bastion, a company that makes temporary blast walls used widely by British and U.S. forces in Iraq (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/fc/iraq.html) and Afghanistan (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/fc/al-qaeda.html).
"We are speechless," the RAF said in a statement after Heselden's bid at the Heroes' Ball on Friday, a fundraiser for the HFH charity which provides support for servicemen and women injured in the line of duty.
"We know it is a special prize -- a once in a lifetime opportunity -- but we are all astounded that someone could be so generous," the RAF said.
"The RAF is genuinely delighted to have helped in raising such a fantastic amount of money for such a worthwhile charity."
Just under a year after being set up the HFH charity has raised more than 10 million pounds.
"The charity has grasped the imagination of the public as they become increasingly aware of the price some of our servicemen and women are paying in serving their country," said a spokesman for the charity.
(Reporting by John Joseph; Editing by David Clarke)

Chugalug2
8th Sep 2008, 15:15
Well done Mr and Mrs Heselden! Once again the entrepreneurs are the ones to put their hands in their pockets and dig deep for a really good cause. No doubt the usual suspects will soon be muttering about the exorbitant profits made out of the Defence Budget by his company, that far from digging deep this is merely "loose change". Tosh! I echo the the RAF statement and will now revert to speechless also! :D

passiveobserver
8th Sep 2008, 15:45
Bravo:ok:.

I hope Mrs Heselden enjoys every second.

geezerBJ
8th Sep 2008, 15:56
An excellent result for Help for Heroes, due to the outstanding genorosity of this lady and her family. The government should be rightly embarrassed that we have to rely on such charity fundraising events in order to provide basic needs for serving personnel.
I can't help thinking what the future holds - corporate sponsorship on helmets and bodyarmour ..... adventure stag weekends in the Sangin Valley?
Come on Gordon and your Government, you want us to risk our lives at your say so .... dip into the coffers and give us the treatment and equipment we deserve.

Pure Pursuit
8th Sep 2008, 16:36
Thankyou for digging deep and offering such a fantastic amount. You will love the trip, I can assure you of that:ok:

May I also thank you for the Hesco! Nice to have the stuff around at Bastion...

Gordon Brown,

hang your head in shame.

barnstormer1968
8th Sep 2008, 18:23
I for one, am not at all impressed by this.
I have it on good authority that there is a spare hawk that could be used for this one off event...so I have been sat at home all day waiting for these generous folks to come and adopt me!! I'm sure they would like another member of their family (well I'm ready to pretend I am) to be able to join them.:}

SERIOUS MODE ON
When I first heard of this, I was totally stunned, yet pleased at the same time. This is such a heart warming and generous ( in the deep down real sense) thing for anyone to do.
I one hundred percent applaud you for doing this. While I am sure your "red" ride will be breathtaking, there is nothing to compare with having (and more importantly using) the resources to help our servicemen and women feel valued, and help them keep their dignity in less fortunate times of their life.:ok:

Barnstormer1968

VinRouge
8th Sep 2008, 18:31
Can you thank your husband as well for HESCO?

Great stuff to sleep behind!!! :}

Green Flash
8th Sep 2008, 21:44
1.5 Million spons - nice one, Ma'am!:ok:

HESCO Bastion - nice one, Sir!:ok:

Airborne Aircrew
8th Sep 2008, 22:30
Once again the entrepreneurs are the ones to put their hands in their pockets and dig deep for a really good cause.Never... Not one of those nasty, greedy entrepreneurs that only take from the poor to further line their filthy pockets... Not those awful capitalistic thieves that rape the corporate landscape for every last penny they can squeeze from the workers...

Sir and Madam,

If you are reading this there are people that will claim that this is nothing to you. That this is the same as them giving $50, (read pounds - I'm in the USA). I agree with them entirely... but only after they have paid their $50 do they have the right to criticize...

You have my utter respect.

...and if there turns out to be a free seat I 'd like to be the first to volunteer to help filling the gap... :ok:

skippedonce
9th Sep 2008, 11:24
I can't help thinking what the future holds - corporate sponsorship on helmets and bodyarmour ..... adventure stag weekends in the Sangin Valley?

Comment from a USA Colonel on spying the Union Flag on the sleeve of my CS95 'Say, are you guys sponsored by Reebok?':rolleyes:

Many thanks to the Heselden family for their generosity, and for their life-saving products.:D

SO