PDA

View Full Version : need help badly!

Milehigh
25th Oct 1999, 19:28
it looks like you guys know all your tech stuff pre and post jurrasic times so what better place to make my appeal! joking aside I have a mega problem with my computer and hopefully someone there would be able to offer me sound advice! the story goes... I upgraded the memory and bought another 64 mb of it but that conflicted with the original16 mb that was already there!also a new adition was the scanner with a SCSI card. following up to me installing all this my sound went to noise and hissing and there were other complications to follow to do with the internet and twain compatible devices..etc etc.. to cut the long story short it took me almost half a year to figure out what was wrong as I never imagined something like this to be a problem and there were no conflicts indicated anywhere... two days ago i rebooted the whole computer with the 16 mb memory out which sorted the sound and and all the other problems but now I have a new problem of getting a stign of vertical lines accroess the screen when I run MICROSOFT OUTLOOK EXPRESS and INTERNET EXPLORER. got those of the freeserve disk. tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no luck ! in case some of you had similar problem please if you can help me before I totally lose it and throw the whole thing out of the window (talking about a stable extrovert here!).
thanks in advance!

OzmateBugsmasher
25th Oct 1999, 19:54
Sounds like a bit more than perhaps we can help with in one hit.

The screen problem you mention sounds like a poorly attached cable or the video card is lose in the slot (ie a hardware prob)

The rest sound a lot like software/driver/irq/memory conflicts which are probably best fixed with the usual windows style, Backup, re-install.

With your memory not behaving depending on you Motherboard type you may not be able to have a 16M module next to a 64M module, or the MB may not even support SIMMS that big (My old MB was limited like this) Dig out the manual that came with the MB and see what it says, you may also have to put the memory in a specific order for it to co-operate.

Hope this helps some.

PS. There are some excellent guides out there that can help with re-installing Windows. A search of somewhere like www.metacrawler.com (http://www.metacrawler.com) for "reinstall windows" should yield some results.
www.worldowindows.com (http://www.worldowindows.com) is another handy place, esp. for drivers

[This message has been edited by OzmateBugsmasher (edited 25 October 1999).]

Nightrider
25th Oct 1999, 23:58
Your vertical lines may point to a memory problem with the video card. If you have a chance to install a different one you may be able to report further about the process.

Pending on what type of motherboard you have, as it was answered allready, the new ram module may not fit into the system. Do you have the right speed, is this speed matching the Bios setup, what speed was the old one....

Also, under MY COMPUTER - SYSTEM you may be able to find interfering devices such as your SCSI with the VGA/SVGA or whatever you have, the soundcard may be involved as well.
Check for conflicts.

If you run W98 you have a utility on your CD called Dr. Watson, try to locate errors and conflicts with this program.

Milehigh
26th Oct 1999, 16:14
thanks for advice! I tried the scan thing and found no conflicts! and vertical lines only appear sometimes like when i run internet explorer and outlook express. when I use word and other software itsthen its all normal which is a bit ??? but I will open and try to fix the card if that would help. but what you said about speeds and compatibility with the MB is very interesting. the only thing is I dont know where to start with that! I have a slot on it for the 64mb ram and it seems to be working now only very slow still so I might revert back to my original configuration and try to figure a way how to stick the scsi and a scanner on it> as for reinstallign windows I have a fully automatic process that works which is how it came when i bought the damn thing so I will do that again! if you have any other suggestions please let me know especially with regard to all that bios speed stuff!! thanks in advance!

OzmateBugsmasher
27th Oct 1999, 09:18
Just one more quick sugestion..

use

the

enter

key

when

typing

mesages, it makes them easier to read :)

oz

Feline
28th Oct 1999, 01:55
Ummm! Milehigh - hesitate to make this suggestion - but have you ever considered switching from IE to Netscape Communicator? It comes for free too - latest version is 4.7 . And Eudora Lite is for free too... After all, just because we all more or less have to use Windoze doesn't mean we have to use all the hanging on stuff that comes out of Redmond ...

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)

Ramjet
30th Oct 1999, 05:25
Yeah, but if it's not Micro$oft, it's not 'official', is it, and therefore it can't be any good ....

blackadder
1st Nov 1999, 00:42
I would def try Feline's suggestion if possible.

Skycop
1st Nov 1999, 03:28
I agree the vertical lines are possibly caused by the video card - I had a similar problem a while back. The problem was worse when using more complicated Win95 screen displays as they are more memory intensive. I got my card fixed under warranty, I was told it was a failing on-board memory chip. (The dealer tested it while I waited and got the same problem in Windows 95). The rest of your problems are most likely caused by DMA / IRQ conflicts involving your new SCSI board. Some sound cards are fussy about which resources they use so it's best if you don't mess with those. If you have the original driver software for your video and sound cards, try re-installing them. Good luck!

------------------
May the Force be with you - and may Gravity treat you gently..