PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance

PPRuNeUser0211
8th Sep 2008, 10:48
Ok, let's not try and make the mods angry with advertising!

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of a decent travel insurance company that will cover for cancellation "Due to your duties as a member of HM Forces" as my present company with the red telephone on wheels does not... (despite sterling service with my other policies!)

New interest due to extreme uncertainty as to my future locale and a wish to make some kind of attempt at going skiing this year (without booking it the day before I go... mrs Target is getting grumpy about that habit!)

C130 Techie
8th Sep 2008, 11:02
PBA

Try Direct Travel Insurance through Gocompare.com. I have just taken out a policy with them and from their policy document it states the following:

For Premier, Premier Plus, and Senior Citizens cover only;
f) You, your close relative or someone you are travelling with is a member of the Armed Forces, Police, Fire,
Medical or Ambulance Services or an employee of a Government Department and has their leave
withdrawn provided that the necessity to withdraw leave could not have been foreseen at the time of
applying for insurance or booking your trip;

Hope this helps.

PPRuNeUser0211
8th Sep 2008, 12:48
Cheers, looks to be just what I was after!

Sven Sixtoo
8th Sep 2008, 15:33
Try Bank of Scotland. Their Premier? current account (£10/month) includes travel cover as a one of the package goodies, and it explicitly covers against change of duty orders. With all the other bits & bobs in the package (RAC membership, phone insurance and so on) its a good buy.

TonkaEngO
8th Sep 2008, 17:42
I'm with M&S and have successfully claimed for Service reasons.

Jumping_Jack
8th Sep 2008, 18:04
Towergate Wilson (used to be Hogg Robinson)

PPRuNeUser0211
9th Sep 2008, 08:59
Cheers all! There are some interesting and subtle differences in the wording of all of those policies! See the quotes below, but some cover a far wider range of circumstances than others!

From Halifax/BOS policy:

you or your travelling companion is a
member of the Armed Forces, Police,
Ambulance, Fire or Nursing Service and
authorised leave is cancelled due to an
unexpected emergency or a posting overseas
at the time of your trip;

From Direct Travel:

You, your close relative or someone you are travelling with is a member of the Armed Forces, Police, Fire, Medical or Ambulance Services or an employee of a Government Department and has their leave withdrawn provided that the necessity to withdraw leave could not have been foreseen at the time of applying for insurance or booking your trip;