PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray in US Open final

Richard Taylor
8th Sep 2008, 08:10
I'll have some of what he's been having! :ok:

But can he go all the way & beat the Fed Express?

Seems to be a new maturity about him, which is helping.

He's not everyone's cup o' tea of course (the England Football Q - he was asked in jest & answered in jest, as I understood it) but I will be rooting for him tonight.

I don't support the England Football team either, but I do support the Cricket team - does that make me a bad person?? ;)

Avitor
8th Sep 2008, 08:29
Of course it makes you a bad person Richard, however, I will forgive you as there are several holier than thou folk trotting around wearing an England football strip. :}
The boy Murray did good, pity about his monotone, irritating voice! :ugh:

Rule3
8th Sep 2008, 08:47
Oh! so now he is a good boy, and winning,:ok: he is British and accepted by the :mad:Twoans, but when he was a bad boy loser he was a :mad:nasty Scot. :confused:

Lon More
8th Sep 2008, 08:51
What's a :mad:Twoan? I agree entirely with your sentiment. it's always been like that. Not just in sport.

pity about his monotone, irritating voice!

You didn't here any of the interviews with F1s Flying Finns the past few years then?

ThreadBaron
8th Sep 2008, 08:58
Rule 1 Rubbish them when they lose.

Rule 2 Praise them when they win.

Rule3 ... and your point is.

Tis ever the way.

Re-entry
8th Sep 2008, 08:59
Current prices are 13/8 Murray and 8/11 Federer.

Head to head record is 2-1 Murray. He beat Fed in Cincinnati and Dubai both on hard surfaces.

Curious Pax
8th Sep 2008, 10:35
Heroic Brit wins.....
Moaning Scot loses.....

What's not to understand? :p

VnV2178B
8th Sep 2008, 10:44
After he has beaten Federer perhaps him mummie will take him for some elocution lessons.

(I thought the boast of the Scots was that they spoke the purest form of English?)

VnV

Richard Taylor
8th Sep 2008, 11:01
Aye, VnV, we div. An' ah'll ram yer teeth doon yer throat, so ah wull...:}

That pure enough...? ;)

VnV2178B
8th Sep 2008, 11:18
It was just, you know, like, that I was, you know, listening to, you know, an interview, like, with, you know, Andy, you know, Murray, and, you know, it came across like that, you know, he was, you know, just mumbling.

Pace, all our Scot's readers, it's good to see him succeed, honest.

SLFguy
8th Sep 2008, 11:47
He's a mealy mouthed nasty little Scot and very very good British tennis player.

bucket_and_spade
8th Sep 2008, 12:06
Can't stand him - no personality or charisma, an irritating voice and just generally comes across as a bit of a chump!

Fickle of me but there you go!

Re-entry
8th Sep 2008, 12:17
Can't stand him - no personality or charisma, an irritating voice and just generally comes across as a bit of a chump!

I didn't know Gordon played tennis.

youngskywalker
8th Sep 2008, 12:30
He's just a tennis palyer for gawds sake! Is he any worse at speaking than David Beckham?

He is not applying to become the next foreign secretary or an after dinner speaker!

I dont like him much either but I will support him as he is A)Scottish and B)British.

1DC
8th Sep 2008, 12:53
I wouldn't wish a losing streak on him but i am indifferent about him because i don't believe he supports his country. For example, his alleged injury during the Davis cup although his brother said he wasn't injured and his surprising early defeat at the Olympics. Was this genuine or just the easy wy out so he could concentrate on the money games. It's enough to make me suspicious about his motives..

Edited for spelling

NIGELINOZ
8th Sep 2008, 17:31
Whilst I am no huge fan of Murray it should be remembered that he sheltered in a classroom during the Dunblane massacre of 1996,no excuse for grumpiness I know but maybe it's a way for him to cope with the trauma that he must surely have experienced.

Avitor
8th Sep 2008, 23:14
Lost in the final to Federer. To beat the One seed then the Second in consecutive games is a tall order.
The boy done good.

G-CPTN
8th Sep 2008, 23:17
And he comes away with the consolation prize of a million dollars . . .
Federer has to make do with 1.5 million dollars and a Lexus ISF.

Avitor
8th Sep 2008, 23:19
....and he reverts from 'British' to 'Scottish'.

G-CPTN
8th Sep 2008, 23:27
What would he have had to look forward to had he succeeded?
The lad beat Nadal after all . . .

chiglet
9th Sep 2008, 01:20
He LOST :ok::ok::ok:
Scottish Twonk :mad:
watp,iktch

Rule3
9th Sep 2008, 04:13
A :mad:Twoan is rhyming slang for POM, ie to an' from:ok:
THEREAD BARON, read all the other responses I'm sure you will get the point.

A2QFI
9th Sep 2008, 07:49
His tennis has improved enormously and he looks seriously fit. However, what is it with all this gurning and punching the air? Never see Fed doing any of this! Also, why is it that someone who can't shave once a day has to dry his hands and face between each rally? Pity the poor ball-person who has to cart this sweat soaked rag around for the duration of a match!

Richard Taylor
9th Sep 2008, 08:31
Apparently the Fed WAS a bit like that during his younger days...& worse.

But he realised his behaviour had to change...& look where it got him!

Avitor
9th Sep 2008, 08:40
Don't be hard on him, his Mother probably gave him a sound kicking after the match. :}

A2QFI
9th Sep 2008, 12:20
As we used to say in the military "A shave, shine, sh*t and a shampoo" would do him more good than a kicking from his Mum! Respect to the phsical effort he has put into his training this year though!

brickhistory
9th Sep 2008, 13:25
What would he have had to look forward to had he succeeded?

That's the spirit! :ok:

sitigeltfel
9th Sep 2008, 13:38
Why, when he is sponsored by Highland Spring, does he always appear with a bottle of Evian in his hand or on the table in front of him at the post match interview?

Groundbased
9th Sep 2008, 14:48
I'm slightly non-plussed about the British/Scottish thing. I've only ever heard him referred to as British on the Beeb.

I think he should (and does) compete as a Scot. As an Englishman I wish him well, but I don't support him.

Avitor
9th Sep 2008, 15:19
"As an Englishman I wish him well, but I don't support him".

He's too scruffy for me to support, a good strong pair of corduroy trousers are ideal for supporting an @rsehole. :}

selfloadingcargo
9th Sep 2008, 19:50
I have never warmed to the guy, but he deserves (and gets) my respect. What's more, I think he has it in him to win a major title soon. Good on him.

Re-entry
9th Sep 2008, 20:34
just to put things in perspective.

some words from the great man himself.

YouTube - Bjorn Borg: "Rafael Nadal will win Wimbledon in 2008" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYhYISFv-HI)