PDA

View Full Version : IE5 and Things.

Methusalah
25th Oct 1999, 11:17
For no obvious reason I suddenly cannot connect to either Hotmail or Windows Update,
(can get Hotmail via Netscape though - wierd!).
Have read some MS information and carried out the required modifications etc. but to no avail. All other aspects seem to work quite well.
Can anyone out there offer any suggestions please? Particularly anxious to get back on Windows Update, even Critical Update Notification seems to have dropped off the disc.

[This message has been edited by Methusalah (edited 25 October 1999).]

Nightrider
25th Oct 1999, 23:50
point your browser to

http://windowsupdate/microsoft.com/

had the same problem because IE5 was in "compatibility mode" whatever that is...

check for updates and load them, it worked for me...

Methusalah
26th Oct 1999, 05:59
Thanks Nightrider but that is part of the problem, as soon as I try to click on anything 'update' I get the message; "This page cannot be displayed", other notes tell me my ActiveX controls are wrongly set or my security setting is too high, all wrong as I have followed the instructions that MS have produced and that a friend passed to me.
Any other ideas please?

What_does_this_button_do?
26th Oct 1999, 18:06
Go to altavista.com and download there version of IE5 - this will sort you out I hope.

You can of course go to many different places to get IE5, altavista however is my start page and I see it there every day [sorry Danny, work would be annoyed if my start up age was PPRuNe].

Methusalah
27th Oct 1999, 08:39
Thanks WDTBD, have tried re-loading from two sources etc. but it hasn't changed anything.