PDA

View Full Version : XP Professional A strange experience

Loose rivets
8th Sep 2008, 01:14
Following my post on the right to distribute, I let my curiosity get the better of me.

Much in the same way that human clones are not supposed to be experimented with, I couldn't resist looking inside this soft. I had no idea what to expect.

My first reaction was Wow! I can't think of a better way of putting it.

At a glance it seems to be everything that XP wasn't, and wasn't everything that Vista shouldn't be. I can't think of a better way of putting that either. :}

What I don't know of course is whether it is a run of the mill product. It comes up as a Custom Corporate Edition. It allowed me registration, so I wait with baited breath.

Frankly, I'll be disappointed if this should be a hybrid that is not usual, because I'd be off to get boxed item from Staples if this backfires. I would hate to find that the boxed one was more like XP home.

Vista is mentioned on the 'front end' in many places, hence my hybrid comment.

I slung my old drive in beside the new one, and hey presto, I'm on line...but get this. I'm on the new Firefox that was part of the new installation. I had been asked if I wanted this to be the default browser. How's that happening? Has MS purchased Firefox? Or are they just being nice. Naaah:hmm:

I have put the Pro onto a fairly fast drive, but the speed with which Pro boots is bewildering. Much faster than coming out of Hibernation with Home. Shut down is almost instant. Strangely, hibernating this one is rather longer, no doubt because of all the nice toys that have to be remembered.

This product is pleasingly like the old XP when you need it to be. Task Manager is there at a touch instead of having to pick from a menu. However, I do have one problem that I haven't fixed yet.

The drive letters are all askew. This has never happened to me before; C: has alway been the default OS drive. Help as always, is no help. 'Assign' - 'Drive letter' etc., - All produce nowt. Any Ideas?

There's something about this package that is just right. A bit like the car on the default desktop. One will probe further.

Bushfiva
8th Sep 2008, 02:32
If it's named exactly "custom corporate edition", my first thought is it's a hacked version, perhaps the JDROM with slipstreamed SP3 from May this year or the earlier 2007 version with slipstreamed SP2. You might want to do a Microsoft Update and check what happens when the Windows Genuine Advantage check runs.

Loose rivets
8th Sep 2008, 03:03
That's a thought. It is marked SP 3 Final (VLK) so I thought that perhaps any attempt to update it would be futile. ;)

I'll try to snap a few screens and post them. Thems that know Pro might be kind enough to say if they look familiar.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...I'm trying to fathom how the new Firefox is called from the old disc, yet does not contain my hundreds of Bookmarks.

I have no idea what will happen if I force the drive letters to a more familiar state, but I can't envisage putting up with them as they are.

Loose rivets
8th Sep 2008, 03:45
Windows Genuine Advantage check runs.

Yep, it did, and spent some 15mins downloading updates. So that's strange on two accounts. One the soft is questionable and second it's supposed to be totally up to date with no improvements...ever.

Bushfiva
8th Sep 2008, 04:10
It is marked SP 3 Final (VLK)

VLK simply means volume licensing key. When you say "it is marked", you mean you have an original XP PRO CD with that written on it??

Loose rivets
8th Sep 2008, 16:26
I sort of wanted to keep the two issues separate on two threads. This one being for the product itself. but in answer to your question, no, that's what came up on the screen when it was loading.

The disc looks very professional in the literal sense, but it seems that it was tailored for a specific organization and they have now gone to Vista. I'll know more this PM

What I would say is, if I can get this program up and running on the correct drive letters, and be sure it's legal, it'll be the one I stay with.

Saab Dastard
8th Sep 2008, 17:44
XP Pro is not hugely different to XP home - main differences are well summarised here (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp)

There is little difference in performance of comparable tasks on comparable hardware.

Big difference to Vista, of course!

Also, there is no difference at all between OEM, retail or VLK distributions of XP (other than XP home is / was not available via VLK, AFAIK), apart perhaps from SP levels. All the system files are the same.

So your good experience is likely to be down to running a very "clean" new installation, without much of the cr@p that system builders tend to clutter new PCs with (loads of unnecessary startup services and applications).

SD

Loose rivets
8th Sep 2008, 18:31
I went to disc management, and found to my dismay that it refuses to change the system/boot drive letter. Obvious why I suppose. Guess it's a re-install.

Talked to my pal in UK today, and he uses Pro, but is intrigued by my description of this copy. He is however, still on SP2. He's going to have a look at SP3

The speed might be due to not having much tat loading...indeed, it was my intention to improve my system by a detailed clear out, but that got away to a bad start. I lost the use of my scroll wheel, where everything else was fine. Odd that, didn't think it would be so isolated as to be pared away from the mouse in general by one small file.

I know the Barracuda is faster, but still there are quite a few things loading on startup, and I don't think the Home edition was ever remotely like this.

Saab Dastard
8th Sep 2008, 19:26
Re: drive letters

If you want to guarantee that all system and boot files go on the C drive, you should ensure that the only formatted partition or disk available to Windows at install time is the C drive. Do not create any other partitions at install time.

Best to disconnect any other disks or remove them using the BIOS before installation.

You can create further partitions and add disks (and adjust the drive letters) to your heart's content after that.

SD

Loose rivets
8th Sep 2008, 20:39
I have now pulled the plug on everything but the main drive in the hope that the system would re-assign...but it didn't.

I had thought I would have to do what you say, but what about the drive with the install disc? That is the one that in fact grabbed C:

D: was the CD drive after and numerous card readers, now disabled, took letters up to H: and at this time they boot/system is on I:

I'll get rid of the logical drives on the next install, but as I say, I seem to be stuck with the DVD startup. Incidentally, that's the only other boot drive offered in the BIOS

Saab Dastard
8th Sep 2008, 22:08
I said "at install time".

Boot from CD. Install from CD.

The first fixed disk is always C:

Removable disks never use C:

What's the problem?

SD

Loose rivets
8th Sep 2008, 22:45
No, you're right. C: hadn't been grabbed by the DVD drive, it was D:

I pulled the power or connectors to everything except the DVD and the new drive and started again. I then removed the 'other' partitions and did a quick format -- on the drive that was clearly marked C: on the DOS type blue screen. When I saw this screen, it reminded me that on the original install, C: was definitely the one that was selected for the system. But with a plethora of drives it must have jiggered the install, cos, now it has gone to C:

Thanks for the tip on removing the logical drives, now all I've got to do is reinstate them. Glass of wine first to improve clarity of thought.