PDA

View Full Version : XP to 98 networking

adonne
10th Mar 2002, 22:40
Ok computer buffs out there need some help and advice ive got to home pc's one running xp proffesional in english and the second running win98second edition in french they are networked using 100mbps fast ethernet through a network hub, both computers are homebuilt and have never had a problem with set ups before. but this is the first time ive been stumped for a solution. heres the problem all coms from xp-98 work fine but am unable to access shared files or printer sharing 98-xp keep getting the message please supply password or you are not autherised to access this computer. both computers are logged on and a administrator user is set up with the same name and password on the xp machine as the 98 any idea's or solutions PLEEEEESE

GeneralElectric
12th Mar 2002, 15:59
What options do you have on the XP shares themselves? . .. .have a look at this:. .. . <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/networking/printershare.asp" target="_blank">XP PRINTER SHARE PAGE FROM MS</a>

GoneWest
12th Mar 2002, 17:06
I'm in a similar predicament...XPPro on one machine - ME on the other...will not communicate through the network that worked perfectly whilst both were on Millenium.

CBLong
15th Mar 2002, 21:38
Hi Coneng and GoneWest,. .. .I've had similar problems to yours with networking - I typed a full reply yesterday afternoon but it wasn't accepted by PPruNe due to the servers being taken down or something.... .. .Anyway, my problems were due to the fact the Win NT and Win XP default to sending passwords encrypted, whereas Win 98 (and Samba on Linux - not sure about ME though) expects plain text passwords. You need to either enable password encryption on your non-XP machines, or disable it on the XP machine.. .. .I opted for the latter, although of course sending passwords in clear if you're worried about hackers etc getting into your home network.... .. .To disable password encryption, go into Regedit and find the key:. .. .HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanman workstation\parameters. .. .and set 'enableplaintextpassword' to 1 (it will currently be set to 0). As always, you'll need to reboot before the change takes effect.... .. .It worked for me - good luck!. .. .SC.