PDA

View Full Version : Faa / Jaa ??

Jon181082
7th Sep 2008, 18:32
Hi, I apologize if this has been asked many times before. I’ve searched previous threads and can’t seem to find anything that matches with the same principle.

If it has please ignore and post a tread link. thanks
-----------------------------------------------------------

I currently hold a JAA PPL (H) 70 hours and JAA ATPL Theory with a final goal “touch wood” to end up around the North Sea. As I’ve researched the British side requires 300 hours and the Norwegian side 1000 hours with a Multi-IR of course, to start as a first officer.

Bristow Academy in Florida, being the school I’ve chosen for training, has advised me to go down the FAA route (CPL, IR, CFI, CFII) and work as an instructor in the USA for two year. To then convert over to JAA when my hours and experience suffice, instead of jumping straight into my JAA modular route, so I’m able to build the hours of experience I need for the North Sea.

My questions are:

Is this the best way to go about it?

Has anyone any first hand experience of this scenario?

Is it really as straight forward as Bristow makes out to seek instructor employment after approximately 2 months of searching?

Any advice would be extremely helpful and deeply appreciated. I’m going insane wondering what path to take . Thank you

Jon.

Jon181082
7th Sep 2008, 19:26
Hey,

Thanks for the advice

If I'm right, I would have to convert FAA to JAA to qualify for a US J1 visa (2 years study and work). But yeah that would be the plan to do both. :)

handbag
7th Sep 2008, 20:21
make sure you do your research before you go

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/336446-end-j-visa.html#post4285931

Jon181082
8th Sep 2008, 06:49
Thanks for that link handbag, good to know

HillerBee
8th Sep 2008, 07:33
The JAA program at Bristows Academy is fully booked until January 2011. So unless you want to wait a long time, the FAA route is the only option. It's always better to get more hours and experience and working as a CFI in the US is good experience. (but it's not a walk in the park)

After you finished the FAA ratings, you should consider starting the ATPL theory, if you do this with Caledonian (CAPTonline) you can do the refresher weeks in Florida (at Bristow). After the exams you can do the CPL(H) flying and exams with Bristows and basically you have the same as doing the Bristows JAA integrated. Also the cost wouldn't be much higher.

The J1 visa will end, but there will be a change to the M1 visa program with basically the same options, so no need to worry there.

Jon181082
8th Sep 2008, 09:34
Hi Hillerbee,

I appreciate the advice.

"The JAA program at Bristow Academy is fully booked until January 2011" This is only the integrated course, I've already finished the JAA ATPL theory and only need the modular training of which as far as I know is only a few month waiting.

Good to know about the M1 visa. :)

I'm planning to finish both FAA/JAA. My main curiosity is whether Bristow Academy is being completely honest and not just sweet talking.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has any first hand experienced of this path before.

Thanks