PDA

View Full Version : bmibaby MAN - NQY CANCELLATION

aidoair
7th Sep 2008, 18:30
hi

My bmibaby flight from MAN - NQY today has been cancelled. The flight was scheduled to depart at 13:45. We were called to the boarding gate ontime at 13:15, and then almost imediately after arriving at the gate a call was put out saying, ''we regret to inform you that your flight has a technical problem and the next information is at 14:00''.
When they explained it was a technical problem straight away i knew as well as the bmi despatch staff did that it was not looking good and a long delay was expected. We were all told to go back into the main departure hall in T3 and await further information.
At just after 14:00 an announcement was made saying ''We regret to inform passengers on WW flight to NQY your flight has been cancelled due to technical issues with the aircraft''... and that we should make our way to the information desk from which we were directed to the baggage reclaim hall.
In the baggae reclaim hall there were no signs of any staff apart from a man who was putting out photocopies of an cancellation apology letter onto a desk. The only information he had was to exit the baggage reclaim and see a bmi representative. When we found bmi staff upstairs in T3 check-in area we were told to go back downstairs and talk to the airport information desk.
From there we were told to contact bmibaby or check online with air southwest for seat availabilty however the price could be upto £200 and very little seats left. . . The reason i am writing this is that i am disapointed that bmi staff didn't want to know of the situation and as MAN has no bmibaby representatives of their own we had no other option than to make our own way back home or to find accomodation.
On the letter it states we have the option to rebook within 7 days and travel within 21 days subject to seat availability or to cancel and recieve a refund by contacting them through the post. However i am wondering if anyone knows of any other compensatino we could recieve. Afterall we were only told that it was cancelled due to aircraft technical issues.

Another aspect is that we had family waiting in NQY to pick us up and they were told that the aircraft had techinal problems in Jersey and was still at Jersey. . . Yet apparently the aircraft outside the gate at MAN should have been ours and was said to be moving of stand to the engineers. Does anyone know the truth and what the situation with the aircraft were. . . I know airlines sometimes cancel flights so that the rest of the days schedule is not further impacted but i would jsut like to know the actual situation.

Thanks in advance to any replies. . . I expect i will get more answers from here than the staff at the airport.

mikeyuk
7th Sep 2008, 18:48
All i know is a BMI Baby aircraft came in on an emegency around 1330 ish. I have no other info on this though.

aidoair
7th Sep 2008, 19:23
Cheers yes, saw all the emergency services fly onto the runway after it touched down, i beleive this aircraft was arriving from AGP. This could have had an impact on our flight though in changing around what aircraft was operating which flights.

Egerton Flyer
7th Sep 2008, 20:51
Hi,
My info was that the aircraft had a flap problem, so tech problem it was.:8
E.F.

englishkev
11th Sep 2008, 16:52
I was on the Aviation Viewing Park and indeed the pilot radioed in with a flap problem.The aircraft stopped right in front of me for a few minutes whilst the fire service did their safety chacks.
Glad I wasn't on board with all those flashing lights.

Kev

aidoair
11th Sep 2008, 19:09
Cheers that almost probably explains it. As the emergency arrival flight was from Malaga and the onward service of this aircraft wopuld have been Madrid, it looks as though they decided to cancel the NQY flight in favour of using the NQY aircraft for the Madrid route.
This is probably due to the fact that it will inconvenience less passengers throughout the rest of the day with the Madrid flight being a longer sector. Its a shame that they decided to do this as we did not have a problem with being delayed a few hours, and the way they treated usafter being told our flight was cancelled and basically just shuffing us from pillow to post was apalling. The one thing i must say is how no one on the flight as far as i knew got bad tempered or aggressive with the situation, people were just mainly dissapointed, upset and basically just wanted some information and help on what to do next rather than being turned away by the bmi staff.