PDA

View Full Version : Chartview on G1000 ? STC ?

Domi
7th Sep 2008, 13:19
Dear all,

I would like to install Chartview on a DA42 (ie Garmin 1000) in order to use Jeppview system (which allows pilot to view IFR charts on MFD).

Does anybody know if the chartview device is covered by a STC or the way to get this option installed ?

Thank you for your help.

JRBarrett
13th Sep 2008, 00:19
Chartview for Garmin MFD products isn't a hardware device that has to be installed, but simply a software / database upgrade. It should not require an STC or field approval by your regulatory authority.

I have not worked on G1000, but on a stand-alone MFD like the GMX200, you simply contact Jeppesen and tell them you want to subscribe to Chartview. Jeppesen will need some info, such as aircraft registration, and the specific part number(s) of the installed Garmin equipment.

On a GMX-200, the charts are stored on the same data card that contains the MFD terrain and navigation database. I assume this would alos hold true for the G1000.

You will receive a larger-capacity data card than the one which came with the "stock" Garmin unit, along with a USB card programmer and download software which works with an internet-connected PC.

Once your subscription is established, you simply open the Jeppesen program on the PC, log in with your user name and password, and it will proceed to download the latest charts and burn them onto the data card. (A broadband internet connection is necessary - if that is not an option, you may also elect to receive the chart updates by mail on CD-ROM)

Once the data card has been loaded, just reinstall it in the aircraft, and the Jepp charts will now be available.

Jim Barrett