PDA

View Full Version : MP3 player/6 gig hard-drive

Cyclic Hotline
20th May 2001, 07:32
Don't tell my wife, but I just got an Archos 6000 MP3 player, which doubles as a 6 gig hardrive (for the truly geeky, you can convert it to 20 gig!).

It is an excellent piece of gear and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. I am sure there will be more of the same on the market in short-order and that this won't compete with a Sony for quality, but its a great way of holding 1500 tracks???, or for moving large files between multiple computers (what I will tell my wife I use it for! ;))

cossack
23rd May 2001, 21:59
I have been thinking about one of these for a while, but had read lots of reviews and a BB dedicated to this product and found many complaints about poor instructions and the need to upgrade the firmware to make the thing work properly.
How's it been with you?
Is the sound quality good?
Any general info would be appreciated.
I've only seen them on sale through amazon.co.uk for £279.99, where did you get yours and was it cheaper?
Cheers

Specaircrew
23rd May 2001, 23:29
It's also worth considering the Creative Jukebox, I've been using one for 6 months now and it works very well, you can use it as a portable hard drive for your data files as well.

Doors to Automatic
24th May 2001, 19:10
I'm looking into getting one of these devices - can anyone tell me whether it is possible to remove tracks once they are written to the hard drive?

Specaircrew
24th May 2001, 23:53
Yes, it's a hard drive so it works in the same way as the one on your PC.

Cyclic Hotline
25th May 2001, 09:27
Sorry, haven't been around this neck of the woods for a couple of days.

I don't have the bookmarks on this computer, but will post the various info sites here tomorrow.

I have had no problem with the firmware, it came with ver 4.13 installed. The great thing about a system like this, is it is possible to totally update the programme, should some future improvement come along.

The instructions and operating procedures are very simple and easy to follow.

The volume could be higher, I find it quite adequate (with some personal hearing loss) and no great desire to deafen myself anymore. It did work better with my Sony earphones, rather than the ones provided.

It comes complete with built in rechargeable batteries, power adapter and is a genuine plug and play appliance. The batteries are good for 5 hours (or more, as claimed).

I did also look at the Creative Labs jukebox, which is about the same size as a discman. This unit is smaller than a walkman.

I run with it, occasionally (very rarely) it will skip, as it is does contain moving parts. It immediately resets, and continues where it left off.

Mine came from Bestbuy.com (in the States)and was actually free, as part of an Alaska Airlines promo. List price was $349 USD , but there were some on e-bay for $275 USD, a couple of weeks ago (new).

The only real problem I have with it, is now my wife wants one as well!

I really like it, and would highly recommend it.