PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Maintenance Experience

Airbus_Eng85
6th Sep 2008, 18:29
I wondered if I could all assist me with a 'small' matter that has been on my mind lately.

I have recently completed my apprenticeship and EASA B1.1 exams, during which I was lucky enough to experience both line and hanger maintenance environments.

Having recently finished I have now been based at a small outstation for the past 6 months.

Quite recently i have thinking about moving from line maintence into heavy maintenance, the reason being is that i believe that, as it stands at the moment, I have very limited experience wise to be soon signing full CRS on the aircraft...and spending a fair few years in the hanger will improve my knowledge and confidence 10-fold.

On the flip side of this I am slightly worried about the current climate, when moving jobs, as this will mean i will have to change companies(last in first out sort of thing). This will also mean that i will have to forego my place on the career stepladder in my current company, and start again at the bottom in another company.

What I would like to know is that should i consider making these sacrifices so make myself a better engineer...or, as someone has already told me, am i worrying too much??

I know this may seem quite trivial to many, but this is constantly on my mind and would appreciate some unbiased, experienced input to help me make the right choice!

Many Thanks!!!!! :ok:

Nopax,thanx
6th Sep 2008, 19:22
You'll probably get more varied work on the line, to be honest. On heavy checks you could be doing the same thing on each aircraft, whereas at the 'sharp end' every day is going to be different. Given the current situation with the world economy, staying put maight be your best bet.

Just my own experience, having always been on hangar checks.

spannersatcx
7th Sep 2008, 15:24
Doing heavy maintenance is to line maintenance like chalk is to cheese. Yes you will get a broader knowledge base, stuff you use in the hangar doesn;'t always transpose to line maintenance.

I started on heavy maintenance and have been on the line for the past 14 or so years. Don't think I'd like to go back to the hangar now given a choice. Even the line can be boring and repetative but you never know what's coming on the next flight.

by the way (last in first out sort of thing). is illegal in the UK as it can be deemed discriminatory.