PDA

View Full Version : Question for Canadians working for a Korean Co.

Dimazoma
6th Sep 2008, 15:37
I am possibly interested in working for one of the Korean airlines. However, my wife and daughter will not be joining me there. I know that my quoted monthly salary includes Korean taxes already taken out. My question is how much tax would the Canadian Gov't take from me on top of what the Korean Gov't already has? Does anyone have any idea the % taken? Would really appreciate some help here.....

Twizzler
7th Sep 2008, 03:18
http://www.fin.gc.ca/treaties/Korea_2e.html

What I would like to know is what is the actual commuting schedule like. More or less than the 20 on, 9 off; can you have more days at home per month? How does it actually work out in the end?

Lost in Saigon
7th Sep 2008, 05:19
Most countries have some sort of tax treaty to prevent being double taxed.

I heard that at one time Canada and Korea provided a tax free exemption for pilots. I have also heard that the exemption is no longer valid, and that a Canadian pilot working in Korea must now pay Canadian tax if he deemed to be a resident of Canada.

Does anyone here have the full story?

767_FO
8th Sep 2008, 22:41
You want to leave your daughter to go fly in Korea. Are you on drugs?

Dimazoma
9th Sep 2008, 01:23
Obviously leaving my family behind is not the best situation in the world. The company I worked for in Canada (Zoom Airlines) just folded without any notice or indication that anything was wrong. I want to keep my house and pay the bills. There is little or no work here in Canada for a bunch of pilots that are dumped into an already hurting industry. Short term pain, long term gain. I'm trying to stay positive. Emirates has slowed hiring and even if I did get on there they suggest not bringing the family until you move from temp housing to permanent which could take up to nine months.

CRJ-220
9th Sep 2008, 09:29
Why don't you take your family with you and work there if you get the job

You could send your daughter to the foreign school where everything get

taught in English and your wife could get a job as English teacher. There

are about half millions legal foreinger living in korea and they have thier

own community at certain city. Surely, your family could be homesick or

culture shocked initially but who knows they would like it in the end.

bandit110
9th Sep 2008, 13:37
I second the above questions. There are a lot of x-Zoom guys looking for a Canadian perspective. Cheers, JC

AAIGUY
9th Sep 2008, 19:33
rent out house @ home.

Move family.

Don't commute.

signed..

ex Canadian expat in Asia.

Mr Lover
14th Sep 2008, 13:13
you can also try Japan, really safe place for family, clean and everything works like a Seiko clock. They aleays look for 767 pilots over here.

Sale your home and car and move.... best thing to do.

Canadian in Japan