PDA

View Full Version : FLYBE

cessna310
6th Sep 2008, 15:20
hi,

Any news from flybe?Are they still looking for F/O.Applied in last Nov but have not heard anything.Any info please.

regards,

cessna310

pipertommy
6th Sep 2008, 15:36
Ye second that!! Applied in March, nothing to date. Do you have keep updating the application?

RVF750
6th Sep 2008, 15:52
Worth updating your online application but right now the company has slowed down recruitment as the anticipated number of leavers has also ground down as other carriers stop recruitment.

Don't panic though, and for goodness sake keep current somehow. Any old job that pays you to fly is worth it for the currency which is gold in getting the job you want.

Best of luck for now!

5 RINGS
6th Sep 2008, 16:30
keep on applying then, but bear in mind that the first filter is fully automated, and should your application is not filled in correctly, computer will scrap it without telling anybody.

Best of luck!

G SXTY
6th Sep 2008, 17:26
I'd echo the currency bit. From memory Flybe want 50 hts TT within the last 12 months. SEP hours are fine, which would make instructing a very good idea. Extra hours would also improve your CV when looking at time to command.

pipertommy
6th Sep 2008, 19:13
Hi 5 RINGS, reference the scrapping part at the beginning. I filled in the application and received back notification as seen below:

Thank you for your application to Flybe for the position of Pilot, which we have successfully received.

All applications will be considered and should yours be successful you will be contacted in due course.

Please continue to update your details in the meantime if you remain interested in a position with Flybe.
Many thanks again for your interest in Flybe.

Kind Regards,

Flybe Crew Recruitment

Does that confirm it went through ok?

Thanks

PT

largegeorgejones
6th Sep 2008, 19:59
I got exactly the same response so I hope it has gone through!

IrishJetdriver
6th Sep 2008, 21:25
As the earlier thread says, there is an automated sorting system. The reply may be no more than an acknowledgement they received it. Same as if you sent it recorded delivery!

I worked for Flybe for several years on both turboprop and jet fleets and I would definitely say they can be a little strange in their recruitment. You could recommend someone, and they could even be "offered" a position but then still not get anywhere, and others just come straight in.

Never did work it out. They are a great company to start with and the DHC8 is a fine aeroplane to cut your teeth in commercial flying. I would suggest persistence is the name of the game. Try writing directly to the tuboprop fleet manager and sell yourself to him. Send the same letter to personnel and even to the ops admin manager. Get your name known. Do be aware you may well not get a reply at all as there are large numbers of people anxious for that first break and it is quite likely many will have more to offer.

timzsta
6th Sep 2008, 22:08
I think the system may only retain applications for six months now. I am re-doing my Flybe application at the moment, having last submitted in November 2007. Have added another 300+ hours to the logbook since, will be interesting to see if it has made any difference.

MVE
7th Sep 2008, 12:18
Irishjetdriver,
sorry fella but you are well out of date, letters and calls to every man and his dog will get you nowhere with the current Flybe. :ugh:

THE ONLY WAY IS THE ONLINE APPLICATION!

All writing to Jo or Ian ,or anyone else that takes your fancy, will do is just piss them off, things have moved on in Flybe's recruitement since your time at Flybe......

To anyone wanting to apply, things are too busy at Flybe for letters and calls, use the online app and if you tick all the boxes you will get a call. Don't waste your time and theirs bombarding them with call and letters, spend your energy getting usefull flying hours......best of luck:ok:

pipertommy
7th Sep 2008, 12:28
Hi MVE, is it correct that the application are possibly binned after 6 months as posted above?

Thanks
PT

MVE
7th Sep 2008, 14:01
Hi PT, Can't confirm or deny that but let's face it, if they are actively recruiting and you haven't been picked up in 6 months then the writing is on the wall maybe? My suggestion if you don't get picked up in 6 months (if you have the cash) is to get an FI license and start building hours.....

speedrestriction
7th Sep 2008, 14:20
MVE's advice is sound,

Plenty of ex FIs in both seats with flybe.

sr

pipertommy
7th Sep 2008, 14:51
I passed the ATPL ground school first time with a 90% average and passed IR first time with 220hrs. Trained at Bristol for groundschool and flight training. Thought I would have had a good chance, guess not:confused:

Anyway i`m booked in this month for FI course so hopefully that will help like you say:)

JB007
7th Sep 2008, 15:36
One thing you learn very quickly PT, there are literally thousands just like you!

pipertommy
7th Sep 2008, 16:00
I understand it a bloody long line of low hours out there, just waiting my turn.Hopefully I can add to the CV with the FI rating with the added experience I will gain:)
Thanks.

MVE
7th Sep 2008, 16:01
JB007 You beat me to it....
PT - FI course is the way ahead - chin up and good luck!

Knee Trembler
7th Sep 2008, 16:07
Pipertommy,

JB007 is absolutely spot on. Once you have the licence you'll be amazed how little any gives a stuff how and when you got it. Getting your first break is a mix of luck and persistence and, I hate to say, who you know.

Doing an FI course is a great way to stay current and make contacts (and is how I met my wife :yuk: ).

So, good luck and whatever you do, don't give up and don't get bitter. I've done both and its get's you nowhere.

KT:ok:

smith
7th Sep 2008, 18:45
there was a flybe q400 in the circuit at pik today,

JB007
7th Sep 2008, 19:36
Did you get the reg?!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/grinser/grinning-smiley-004.gif

smith
7th Sep 2008, 22:42
nope sorry, not a spotter, just saw it from my flat window :ooh:

pipertommy
7th Sep 2008, 22:50
Thanks guys!! I will keep on trying and fingers crossed things will come good.

FL370 Officeboy
8th Sep 2008, 22:32
The Dash bashing the circuit at PIK was the newest aircraft to the fleet G-ECOE :ok:

Canada Goose
9th Sep 2008, 07:05
I’ve applied numerous times to Flybe, though it has been a while since my despondency began to get a grip! The last time I filled in an online application there was a question about “Did you do one stop modular or integrated training?”. I’m not sure if this acts as a filter but I recall many many months ago that Flybe recruitment had declared that they will only consider people from such a background ! Well if they feel it helps them whittle the pile down then so be it , but it seems rather petty and arbitrary !! Needless to say I did my CPL and IR at different FTO’s, mainly due to both mine and the FTO availability !! Who knew that such a well planned decision would exclude me from an operator I very much would like to fly for !! Never mind, back to my day job !!

pipertommy
9th Sep 2008, 07:48
Just to confirm with this one stop modular statement. I completed my PPL/ME at my local club then ATPL ground school at another provider followed by CPL/IR with a commercial school up the road from BGS and to finish the MCC at AFT Coventry. Is this ok basically CPL/IR with one and MCC another?

MIKECR
9th Sep 2008, 12:47
Flybe announcement in the local rag today stating £160m investment planned shortly for Aberdeen. 5 new aircraft and possibly 100(not all flight crew obviously!) jobs to be created. Also announcing healthy pre tax profits.

JB007
9th Sep 2008, 14:16
This is an airline to watch guys - as far as choices go of employers in terms of security, the business model seems spot on!

E.g. Fuel is only 25% costs at FlyBe...

P1 Forever
9th Sep 2008, 14:32
Yeah,

I agree with that!!

Watch this link..sounds like a secure airline.

YouTube - Insight, Outlook For Crude Impact On Airlines (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O__mFBvhzA)

AKAFresh
9th Sep 2008, 21:46
P1,

Excellent link Thank You for that!

As far as recruitment goes I believe its on hold for new FOs until we get the 145 pilots converted onto the dash fleet. The problem has come because, we anticipated more of the 145 pilots to leave the company but because of the industry slow down and other airlines not recruiting those particular pilots they have stayed on for longer. With new dash aircraft arriving we have had to type rate those pilots to continue the phase out programme of the 145s.

I believe the airline is looking to get rid off all the 145 aircraft by mid 09. Filling in the odd spots with contract pilots while these crews go through type ratings on the dash.

Hopefully for all out there FO recruitment will restart soon!

clanger32
10th Sep 2008, 10:07
AKAFresh,
Hopefully for all out there FO recruitment will restart soon!

Can I just say that as a student who is an IR and an MCC from finishing the whole course, it's a real pleasure to actually see someone post hope and (apparently) good will for us newbies. It's not like we're not aware of the horrendous current situation, but so many posts on here seem to almost WISH us to fail, that it makes a real change to see someone hoping it upturns.
thankyou

Robin Duthoo
11th Sep 2008, 07:21
Well, as a recently graduated cpl-ir-mcc looking for my first job with a ridiculous 190 hour real flight experience I admit that any reassuring point of view is particularly cheerful at the moment.

Coffin Corner
11th Sep 2008, 07:52
Well guys rest assured flybe are still recruiting at the moment, AKA is spot on but there is still a small amount of attrition (very small). I guess due to the attrition a good friend of mine has an interview with them next week. Even though the online application system is closed I imagine they're pulling people in from the applications they already have, albiet very very few.

:ok:

pipertommy
11th Sep 2008, 09:45
Dont suppose you know how long ago he submitted his application?
Thanks.

Coffin Corner
11th Sep 2008, 09:48
Yes, about 7-8 weeks ago

Canada Goose
11th Sep 2008, 10:51
Coffin Corner,

Don't suppose you could give us the profile of your mate ? i.e. age, hours, FTO (Integrated or mod) ?

Cheers,
CG.

G SXTY
11th Sep 2008, 13:04
Without giving away any state secrets, a typical initial course will have a couple of skippers / FOs converting from other types, one or two 1000hrs+ ex instructors / GA chaps, and then pretty much a 50/50 split between low hours integrated and modular pilots. Plenty of opportunities then for older modular guys.

If I was the flightcrew GM (and I'm not), my feeling would be that youngsters from an integrated course generally have slightly sharper hand flying skills but are more likely to jump ship to fly an electric wonderbus as soon as they get the chance, whereas older modular candidates are more likely to be interested in long-term prospects and command. I'd want a good mix of both types.

Happy Wanderer
11th Sep 2008, 15:54
Just to confirm earlier posts on this thread and having attended two separate presentations given by Ian Cheese and Ian Baston at AFT in Coventry, all FlyBe aircrew applications must be initially routed via the online recruitment portal - there is no other way of circumventing the process.

The minimum requirements were clearly stated as thus:

* Type rated DHC8 Q400/Emb 195 (this pretty much g'tted you a job!!)

OR

* 750 hrs + CPL/IR/MCC (Frozen ATPL)

OR

* Integrated or 'one-stop' modular course attended in previous 6 months ('one-stop' in this sense was defined as no more than two different FTOs attended, excluding ATPL theories), eg PPL at school A, CPL at school B, IR at school C, MCC at school D obviously wouldn't count. I got a sense that doing one course, say a CPL, across two schools (for whatever reason) wasn't looked at too favourably.

Aplicants must also have flown a minimum 50 hrs in previous 12 months. Ian Baston said "we also like to see some history" meaning FlyBe will nearly always revert to your FTO for a reference, to be expected I suppose.

HW

pipertommy
11th Sep 2008, 16:06
Thanks HW :ok:

mikehammer
12th Sep 2008, 10:24
my feeling would be that youngsters from an integrated course generally have slightly sharper hand flying skills

Can I ask why? I thought modular students actually did more hours flying, or am I missing the point?

clanger32
12th Sep 2008, 20:20
Like everything, I suspect that it depends on the individual. Certainly mod students have more hours than your average integrated student, but it's how those hours have been accrued...many of the mod guys I met have built hours bimbling around from point A to point B. Integrated is less hours, but every single one is aimed at learning something or practicing skills.
Of course there will be mod students who have used their time brilliantly, but I would think the percentage is small....so perhaps there is the answer?

Tootles the Taxi
12th Sep 2008, 20:22
Can I ask why? I thought modular students actually did more hours flying, or am I missing the point?Thread creep I know but this is probably the foundation of the age old debate regarding integrated vs modular.
Modular graduates do have more hours on course completion but it's not about the number of hours rather the quality of those hours hence flybe's desire for 'one-stop' modular. An integrated student learns the same check list, procedures, techniques, r/t, airspace, & standards right from day one then throughout the rest of the course. The quality of the course is measured & documented in a standard way i.e. problems during training can be easily identified & traced. Modular is often disjointed with a PPL completed at a flying club (usually) then often meaningless hours building leading to a short CPL course flown using different aircraft, procedures etc.
At the end of the day, it is largely down to the person not the type of course - meaning that if you are the type who makes the effort to educate yourself properly & researches the modular route thoroughly you should be O.K. If you need motivating, find self discipline difficult, don't understand the difference between the two routes & can afford it, integrated is probably the way to go.

G SXTY
13th Sep 2008, 10:12
Yes, that's pretty much it. Let's not turn this into another integrated v modular debate, we've got enough of those as it is. The point I was making is that from the airline's point of view there are relative strengths and advantages to each route, and that if I was making recruitment decisions (and I say again, I'm not) then I would spread my bets and want a mixture of both types.

From the many people I have met who have recently come through the recruitment process, this seems to be exactly what Flybe is doing. A very sensible policy bearing in mind they want (a) people who can pass the TR course in minimum hours, and (b) people who will stick around more than 18 months.

1013 with altsel
13th Sep 2008, 10:33
I started with flybe about 18 months ago. I was modular and the other five first officers were modular.

I would take these requirements with a pinch of salt, an keep applying!!

Good luck

danielplainview
11th Nov 2008, 12:00
Hello everybody

I'm going to apply for the Flybe sponsorship scheme and I am told that there are 18 questions that are asked at the interview

I'm sure they're on her somewhere but I can't ***ing find them!

Little help, please?

G SXTY
11th Nov 2008, 17:24
Have you searched "Flybe" and "interview"?

Grizzle
13th Nov 2008, 14:11
I hear from a student at FTE that the next lot of Flybe MAPS and partially sponsored students are due to arrive in Jerez later on today.

Good on Flybe! :ok: