PDA

View Full Version : What to do now...

Aviator321
6th Sep 2008, 14:49
Hi everyone

I'm looking for some advice. I obtained my fATPL earlier this year and managed to secure a couple of interviews which I spectacularly failed. With airline recruitment pretty much at a standstill I'm looking at my options. Within the GA scene banner towing is non-existant, I have never been involved in gliding so that rules out glider towing (i've tried), Airtaxi won't touch me due to hours so that leaves instructing and another £6000 bill. So what to do.
1) Keep plugging away at my non-flying job and do a couple of hours a month untill another 6months has passed and I can re-apply to the airlines I failed at.

2) Get a flying instructors rating and try full time

3) Part time instructors rating

There is also the issue of getting a job once I have got the rating... I'm 20 (and look it!).

I know at the end of the day it's down to me but I wonder what you guys think.

Mungo Man
6th Sep 2008, 18:04
No question. If you can get the money together then do an Instructor Rating.
In 6 months time you'll have 500 hrs, a flying job, a growing network of flying contacts and you'll be twice the pilot you are now. If there is a major downturn at least you'll be flying not stagnating, and if not you're current and in a better position to get in with bigger things.

I instructed for 11 months in 2006 and don't know anyone who instructed for more than a year before moving on to bigger things. I wonder how many of us would be where we are now had we been in office jobs flying once or twice a month privately...

Have you looked at why you failed the interviews? Having spent tens of thousands on getting your fATPL did you put any money into preparing for that half hour when you get a chance to sell yourself to an airline?

shaun ryder
7th Sep 2008, 09:20
I spectacularly failed

Both interviews? You should really be in a job now with that sort of luck. I suggest addressing the above issue before pouring more money down the drain. An interview really is like gold dust, squandering two chances like that is worrying. Will you be able to cut it as a flight instructor? It takes more than just money and willing.

Aviator321
7th Sep 2008, 11:09
Shaun Ryder

I totally agree with you. I should. The first interview I perhaps didn't prep as well as I could due to the short notice but the second I put my all into. Went on interview prep courses, studied the tech side of it had several practice interviews and knew the company like the back of my hand. The company announced it was stoping hiring shortly after I was given an interview date so perhaps they were being more picky than usual? I don't know.

Now the problem I have is that if it is just something to do with my personality, will I be able to cut it as a flying instructor... Like you said it takes more than money.

Any advice?

Aerospace101
7th Sep 2008, 12:51
What about the CTC AQC course.

£6000 = Airline Jet Job (most seem to get a free/bonded TR too!!)

CAT3C AUTOLAND
8th Sep 2008, 09:37
Aviator,

Firstly, one thing you fail to realise is you are 20 years old and you have your whole life ahead of you.

With regard to the interviews you have had, I would put it down to experience and learn from it. If it makes you feel better, I failed probably around 10 airline sponsorship selection processes when I was your age. One of the ironic facts is I am now employed by one of the airlines that rejected me 10 years ago :ugh:.

Throughout my quest to land a job as an airline pilot I have met alot of people, some include airline pilots who recruit new pilots. It is amazing to listen to their different approaches when selecting candidates. Its from one extreme to another. I remember chatting with a guy that recruited for one of the charter airlines, and he said to me the bottom line was when picking people was do I like this guy, can I train him/her and can I sit next to him/her for two four hour sectors? He said 'I don't care if he/she knows the aerodynamic principles of how a swept wing works, because I don't'. I really liked this approach!

With regard to instructing, I have to agree with the elements of Shauns post. I think being an instructor, is not about being a great pilot, its about having the communication skills to teach someone and have a tremendous amount of patience. I would always support instructing, as I enjoyed it so much, and still do, but you have to want to do it, it is not just a ticket to the airlines. If it is not in your heart, it will show and is not good for students.

All the best with it, keep plugging away, we all have and now we are enjoying to life :).

Happy Wanderer
8th Sep 2008, 10:09
Aerospace101,

Think I'm right in saying CTC's AQC incorporates an MCC course which Aviator321 will already have as part of his fATPL. The AQC does (or did) form part of the CTC ATP course which the website confirms has been suspended for a while now.

HW

MIKECR
9th Sep 2008, 13:00
Aviator321,

I know somewhere that theres a job going here in the uk you may wish to try for. Its multicrew work, although the pays not great. I was phoned and offered an interview but declined. The post may be filled now as they were looking for someone asap but you just never know! pm me if you want the details.