PDA

View Full Version : Yell.Com!!!!

Slasher
19th May 2001, 05:54
Danny could you please do something about that "Yell.com" yellow banner (e.g Hote e.g. Gran e.g. York). It screws up my Nutscrape to the point where I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to close my browser then start it up again hoping the next PPRuNe page wont contain it. AdSub cant intercept it because it doesnt come from outside. I cant be the only one in the same boat.

Thank you.

PS Took me 5 attempts just to get this post done and another 3 to flamin edit it!

[This message has been edited by Slasher (edited 19 May 2001).]

Azure
19th May 2001, 11:42
I gave up on "Nutscrape" long ago on this forum, although I use it everywhere else I visit, when I come to Pprune, I have to use "Exploiter."

I'm not crazy about it, but hey; if it's Danny's advertising dollars that keeps this place going, I can live with it.

Tinstaafl
19th May 2001, 20:04
rant on

For that matter, what pony tailed, coke snorting marketing idiot would take a name like 'Yellow Pages' - with near 100% brand awareness - call it 'yell.com'?

To add to it, on the original link on BT's website there was no explanation of what this 'yell.com' is. Just the link.

The only reason I found the yellow pages was by clicking on every cursed link until I found it.

/rant off

-----------
Marketing types (and their closely related cousins: Stylists) - First against the wall when the revolution comes.

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 19 May 2001).]

Pom Pax
21st May 2001, 10:30
Thanks Slasher for solving a problem I have been experiencing for sometime.
Whilst realising that the offending banner is revenue I think the technical geniuses that bring us PPRune should politly bring to the attention of Yell.Com that somewhere in their banner script there is some code that sends some browsers nutty.

Evo7
21st May 2001, 14:19
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">

I gave up on "Nutscrape" long ago on this forum, although I use it everywhere else I visit, when I come to Pprune, I have to use "Exploiter."

</font>

It wouldn't be so bad if I had a choice - Microsoft haven't ported Exploder to Sun's Solaris OS (strange, that), so Netscape it has to be. The yell.com advert doesn't seem to kill Netscape if you turn Java off, but other sites need it and it's a pain in the backside to have to keep turning it on and off. Shame the yell.com people couldn't be ar$ed to check their add on any other browsers....

On the plus side, thumbs up to PPRuNe for having a site that isn't IE specific - works fine on Netscape, Konqueror and Galeon :)

Evo7
24th May 2001, 23:21
Back to the top, in the off-chance that the moderators have anything to say :)

(Bah! Bloomin' flood control, too. Some of us type quickly :) 270 seconds!)

Slasher
28th May 2001, 05:44
Thanks for the replys guys. I tried disabling Java but it made no difference. Now Im forced to use this bloodey MS Exploiter for PPRuNe. Its not only the fact I hate Gates and his empire, its that with Nutscrape 4.7 I have perfect control about what comes in and what goes out. Christ only knows what personal data of mine is being shipped off to Redmond.
Im surprised the PPRuNe heirarchy has put $$$ ahead of site quality. I hate being "forced" to use a system I do not trust.
As for bloodey Yell.com I hate all banner ads and pop-ups anyway and never punch them.

PaperTiger
28th May 2001, 09:49
I've been following this yell.com thing, and couldn't quite understand because I've never seen it.
Now I get it - it's on the home page where I never go. My bookmark goes directly to the Forums page (sorry Captain !), which then opens in the full screen not a frame.
http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/Ultimate.cgi

And it's JavaScript that needs to be turned off, not Java. A dogfish is not a dog and JavaScript is not Java.

olderairhead
28th May 2001, 10:47
I had that problem on any page on Pprune. I followed your advice PaperTiger and it has fixed the problem. Are there any ramifications by disabling JavaScript?

------------------
"Yes nurse....I'm coming"

PaperTiger
28th May 2001, 23:46
Hmmm, wrong about yell.com only on the home page, just saw it (my first time) today.

olderairhead

Having JavaScript disabled means your browser will ignore any 'instructions' contained within a web page. Whether this is a Good Thing or not depends on what the page is trying to do. It will stop all pop-ups and most of those 'rotating' ads/banners, and you won't be able to click on any which do appear (as if you wanted to).

As far as the Pprune site is concerned, no JavaScript also means you won't be counted in the 'current visitors'. Everything else here seems to work fine without it.

But there are many other sites which rely very heavily on the JavaScript to work properly. Without it links may be inactive, selecting an entry within a dropdown list will do nothing, and at worst you may just see a blank page.

In IE there is a prompt option - whenever it encounters JavaScript it will ask you whether to run it or not. This is the setting I use at home since I am usually familiar with the sites I visit and know if the script is really necessary or just for 'cosmetics'. Worst that happens if I say no and get it wrong, is I have to reload (refresh) and say OK.
Added benefit of this setting if you're using Outlook is it applies to incoming mail as well. There is never a good reason to let JavaScript run in mail or news messages.

Sorry to ramble. JavaScript is extremely useful in the hands of a good designer or developer but can really screw thing up when used poorly.