PDA

View Full Version : Why Florida?

michael95u
6th Sep 2008, 12:08
Can anyone explain to me why most international students stop their US flight school search in Florida? There are many, many excellent flight schools across the US with excellent programs and much more varied weather than Florida.

Just an observation!

Michael

ab33t
6th Sep 2008, 12:43
Great observation , I think the other issue is that because of the number of schools in Florida the price is competitive. If you know of others with the same pricing pleaese PM me.

ChrisLKKB
6th Sep 2008, 13:37
Some of us learned to fly and build hours in other States but prefer to keep them secret to avoid swarms of would be pilots who have no idea of what they are doing or what is going on around them from filling their skies...It's best to keep em out of harms way in the ppls playpen, Florida :ok:

michael95u
6th Sep 2008, 13:44
LOL. Good assessment Chris! I can fully understand that!

Michael

ABELINHO
8th Sep 2008, 13:07
Hi michaelcps, could you tell to us then about cheap schools who offer FAA-JAA licenses? I just know schools that offer that in Florida, so I'm planned to go to study there in February (but open to hear about any other schools :O )

EchoMike
8th Sep 2008, 15:12
1) No landing fees. You can do circuits for a solid year and it won't cost you a dime.

2) Fuel is about $5.00 a gallon here. (price of fuel times GPH times hours flown, you do the math)

3) Aircraft rental is about half of what it costs in the UK - parts available locally (here), plenty of aircraft available, lots of competition, which keeps prices down. Capitalism at work.

4) Weather generally good and usually not treacherous. The phrase "training schedule" actually means something most times.

5) Lots of CFIs building hours for airline jobs, so no shortage of instructors.

6) You don't need to put on one of those dorky hi-viz day-glow vests just because you are THINKING about airplanes. The FAA may be difficult to deal with sometimes, but compared to the CAA, they are just wonderful - and MUCH less expensive. The CAA/JAA/EASA are well on their way to regulating general aviation out of existence. The FAA is charged with ENCOURAGING it. Huge difference there.

Incidentally, the FAA says that 20% of the flight training in the entire world is done in Florida.

disclaimer - I work part time for an FTO that does CAA/JAA licenses here in Florida. Notwithstanding, that doesn't change the facts or the numbers.

Best Regards,

Echo Mike

michael95u
8th Sep 2008, 15:38
Echo Mike:

Those are all great reasons, but it is even better when you train in the interior of the US. Fuel prices are lower here in the midwest, less congestion due to flight training, more ability to fly any where in the country for a varied flight experience.

By posting this thread, I wanted to see why most people just look at schools in Florida and also to promote the idea that there are plenty of schools outside of Florida where the price is just as good and the training/experience even better.

Michael

eikido
8th Sep 2008, 17:31
5) Lots of CFIs building hours for airline jobs, so no shortage of instructors.

So there is a shortage of FI's ? Where?
Because i'd love to work as a FI after i'm done schooling (The only thing stopping me now is the medical 1:}). I look forward to working my way up rather than getting the dream job immediatley :ok:.

We will probably go to the US. Where in the US doesn't matter. But everybody seems to talk about florida all the time (i still need to master an NDB approach though:eek:). I hope i can get a FI job in the US. We are 2-3 going.

Maybe we'll go to South Africa training because we got some connections there later for both work and schooling.

Eikido

BigGrecian
8th Sep 2008, 20:58
Location Location Location - maybe these students from Europe want so spend their "off" time by the beach in sunny weather, in what is considered a holiday destination.

Also, possibly due to the number of schools which have M and J visa approvals?

michael95u
9th Sep 2008, 02:36
Unfortunately, there is not a shortage of CFI's in the US anymore. There WAS a shortage when the airlines were hiring VERY low time pilots, but that is not the present situation.

Michael

INNflight
9th Sep 2008, 07:19
Those are all great reasons, but it is even better when you train in the interior of the US. Fuel prices are lower here in the midwest, less congestion due to flight training, more ability to fly any where in the country for a varied flight experience

How very very right you are!!! :ok:
Kansas all the way.

I don't see my flt training as a holiday, I see it as work. No beaches needed :}

B2N2
9th Sep 2008, 11:53
Last but not least, Florida has very agreeable winter weather.
Coldest mornings can be 5C but it warms up to 17-20C around 10 am.
Can't really get better than that.
Winters in Kansas are horrible in comparison.

http://z.about.com/d/goflorida/1/5/c/K/AverageTemps.jpg

Kansas City Weather

US Geography / US Weather / Kansas Weather / Kansas City
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Avg. High 34° 40° 52° 65° 74° 84° 88° 86° 78° 67° 52° 38°
Avg. Low 16° 21° 32° 44° 54° 64° 68° 65° 56° 45° 34° 21°
Mean 26° 31° 44° 55° 64° 74° 78° 76° 68° 57° 44° 30°
Avg. Precip. 1.1 in 1.1 in 2.5 in 3.1 in 5.0 in 4.7 in 4.4 in 4.0 in 4.9 in 3.3 in 1.9 in 1.6 in

michael95u
9th Sep 2008, 12:43
Winters in the rest of the US are horrible when compared to Florida!

It MIGHT be cold part of the time, but it is smooth in that colder air, usually little snow to worry about, and for the most part, it is clear sky 75% of the time. Historically, February is the month the the least amount of flyable days. However, last year at our school, we got ALOT of flying in. It was almost as busy as our May and June!

Michael