PDA

View Full Version : Help For Heroes & The Reds

reallydeskbound
6th Sep 2008, 08:25
I have heard that at the Help for Heroes Charity Function last night a £million was paid for 9 back seat trips with the Reds.... can anyone verify?

If its true what a moment for HC

spheroid
6th Sep 2008, 09:00
Sounds fantastic. Are the Red Arrows allowed to take passengers during displays? I just wondered because in our JSP550 is states that we are not allowed to fly pax during displays....Maybe the Reds are allowed.

Lmnav
6th Sep 2008, 09:07
True apparently! My cousin was there and texted me in amazement when it happened. Good on the bloke who stumped up the dosh. Hope he has a good trip.

AYTCH
6th Sep 2008, 10:18
Fantastic news. For info, Jas Hawker was on BBC Breakfast News about a week ago chatting about this topic. He said that the trip would be in a red jet and the lucky peep would get to basically do what they could cope with. Upside down, close formation aeros etc but no mention of in an actual display. Idea was to give them the flight of their life without making them sick if poss with the emphasis on enjoyment!!!

Well done to the winning bidder and hope you get every pennies worth of enjoyment for your donation to this most worthy of causes. :ok::D:ok:

Thud Ridge
6th Sep 2008, 11:27
100% true.

It was a 'one-off' event to support the charity. It was supposed to be just one pax but a deal of £1million for all 9 was made.

Awesome.

Don't forget the rugby on the 20th. See you at twickers.

FiveSevenAlpha
6th Sep 2008, 20:50
Off-topic, I know, but on a similar note:

http://www.ukcarnews.com/features.php?show=385

Good for him. Nice to see a racing driver supporting HFH, although I couldn't see Mr. Hamilton being allowed to do anything similar....

57A

tich23
7th Sep 2008, 14:06
it is true and was amazing to watch. Bidding reached £200k at which point they broke for a breather. They announced that there was a telephone bid for multiple seats at which point CAS got involved, much whispering and debate. Bidding reopened with all 9 seats up for grabs and it ended up as a bidding war between two ladies. The moment it closed at £1million was incredible.

Re the Rugby, the RFU have just opened up the middle tier as sales have gone over 30k, so keep spreading the word.

7th Sep 2008, 14:14
The Govt should be ashamed and the more chances we get to make them so the better!!!

That said, having to whore out back seats to raise money for charity goes against all the JSPs.

I know of other AOCs that would have kittens at the thought!!!!

Op_Twenty
7th Sep 2008, 14:35
A few air forces have 'sponsorship' on their aircraft tails, usually from film companies - maybe we should do that, if it gets money to provide more of the guys with better quality health care post ops it can only be a good thing. It's not the air-heads you're embarrassing, it's this government that fails comprehensively to understand defence.

DummyRun
12th Sep 2008, 00:21
V gen of Mr Hesco Bastion,

Not knocking him at all just wondered if all posters were aware of how he got minted and where the name Camp Bastion came from.

Hats off to the the man for ploughing a bit of the wonga back in for a very good cause.

Yours Dummy R.

P.S.

If your'e not in the desert or at Twickers I expect a sick note from your Mum.