PDA

View Full Version : Sub-notebooks

StopStart
20th Oct 1999, 02:01
Anybody know of/recommend a decent sub-notebook. I need (although my wife doesn't think so) something that runs win 95/98 - not Win CE (got one of those) and has a 8.4" or thereabouts size TFT screen.
I've looked at the Sony Vaio PC1F - very carlos fandango but no modem, cd rom etc.
Any ideas?

------------------
Why does Paris have Few Cloudy?
Why is Brindisi Meesing?
Stop Start..

blackadder
20th Oct 1999, 10:21
Beware Sony warranty, very poor, after 12 months you're stuffed.
No option to extend AFAIK.

What_does_this_button_do?
21st Oct 1999, 19:18
Acer do a nice sub-book - even runs Windows NT.

Cost £800 from Tottenham Court Road.

Feline
22nd Oct 1999, 00:42
I bought a Toshiba Libretto 50CT about 18 months ago (which means of course that it's now obsolescent). It's about the size of a VHS cassette (so screen size a bit smaller than 8.4").

Later models (100CT or 110CT) have somewhat faster processor (probably about 166MHZ) and reasonable (?) disk (about 2.1Gb). It runs Win 98 I think - you can check out all the specs at <http://toshiba.com>

I use my 50CT when I'm in itinerant mode - and apart from the usual hassles with getting through hotel switchboards - have found it very satisfactory for picking up e-mail and lightweight web browsing. It also runs some of the packages I use which are not yet available for WinCE.

Libretto sure gets my vote when it comes to travel use - very light and small enough to use comfortably on what is laughingly called a table at the blunt end of a plane (not of course that you often have to take that into consideration !?!?!?). However, if it is to be the only machine you're going to own, get an external screen for home base, and indulge yourself with the docking station that includes ports for an ordinary mouse and a reasonable size keyboard.

Had a slight problem (I thought) with the hard disk a while back - very quickly sorted out by local agents FOC

BTW - Little tip when you're trying to connect through a hotel switchboard which doesn't switch from internal dial tone to external dial tone too quickly: insert a couple of commas between the number that has to be dialled for an outside line and the outside number you're trying to connect with. This stops the modem squirting numbers into the empty space between the two dial tones.

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)

StopStart
22nd Oct 1999, 20:06
Thanks for the info folks. What_does_this_button_do? have you seen the Acer unit on sale recently in TCR? I only ask cos it's the Acer unit I had my eye on but have been unable to find it anywhere recently.
Thanks again.

blackadder
23rd Oct 1999, 11:23
StopStart,
did you rec my email?

StopStart
23rd Oct 1999, 13:59
Blackers - thanks for that; bit slow on the e-mail checking front! :)
I'm WHsmith's-bound as we speak.
Cheers.

blackadder
23rd Oct 1999, 17:41
SS,
I have a spare copy of the US mag if you can't find a copy.
Just send 50 quid in used notes and it's yours, you know how to contact me. :)