PDA

View Full Version : modem matters

astrocyte
17th Oct 1999, 14:38
Problem
I have a couple of computers, one running W95 and one W98. On each I have varius ISP's set up and operating OK. However one of them namely Hemscott will work on the old machine (W95) but not the new and it is bugging me. Looking at the connection log files the only differances are in the AT setup commands (s30=) etc. The question is how do I get to these in W98 to alter them. I would be glad of any ideas.

Thanks

Nightrider
17th Oct 1999, 22:59
First of all, Hemscott is no modem manufacturer.
Secondly, open Hyperterminal, hier you need to establish a pseudo connection and hang up again.
than just enter AT followed by the switch to change and = and the new value.
It will be stored in the modems memory.
Most modems work with a Rockwell chip, i need to search to find the old commands for it. Obviously it is not a new modem....

astrocyte
18th Oct 1999, 01:21
Nightrider
Sorry if I didnot make myself clear. Hemscott is an ISP. I tried hyperterminal as you said but it loses the settings when you go back to DUN to try the ISP. Looking at the log file DUN sends an initialisation string that I guess is hardwired into the MS driver. What is annoying is that all the other ISP's work OK on this computer as does Hemscott on my other computer. Thanks for your help.

InFinRetirement
18th Oct 1999, 17:32
astrocyte. Try this.
Control panel/modems/properties/connection/advanced then look at extra settings. It should be clear if it is not try entering A&T if it has something in there erase it. Click OK all the way back. Then click My computer/Dial Up Networking/RIGHT click the connection to your ISP the Properties and check all is OK.
Get back to DUN and LEFT click the same connection check the boxes are OK and then click CONNECT. If it doesn't work from there you need to check all the perameters that in the modem configurations. If you get stuck, e-mail and I'll see if I can help some more.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by InFinRetirement (edited 18 October 1999).]