PDA

View Full Version : Online shop - Pilot supplies

sfakman
5th Sep 2008, 09:21
Hello,

I'm in the middle of doing my PPL, have a huge interest in Aviation and my background is the web.

I'd love to start an online shop selling pilot supplies but I'm a little stuck. I'm fine with setting up the everything online but my real issue is finding suppliers.

Does anyone have any advice on setting up online shops? I thought maybe Drop Shipping could be the way but there doesn't seem to be much out there for the Aviation Industry.

Your help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Georgio

Saab Dastard
5th Sep 2008, 11:33
A word of advice - don't ever try to promote it on PPRuNe.

SD

Whirlygig
5th Sep 2008, 12:25
SD, surely if he pays for the advertising, he can promote his online shop on Pprune?

I can think of four online aviation shops - are you sure there's a market? They all sell the same stuff at pretty much the same price!!

Cheers

Whirls

Kerosine
5th Sep 2008, 12:40
I imagine it would be a very hard market to break into, you would need some kind of unique selling point, something different that the consumer would be drawn to. Bear in mind the likes of Transair can benefit from economies of scale and can squeeze the margins/offer deals and specials to attract business. The above mentioned company along with a few others have their fingers in all pies; mail orders, catalogues, stores, online shops etc, not much room left...

Sorry to be so pessimistic about the prospects but as a consumer there's no real reason to deviate from market leaders :ouch:

sfakman
5th Sep 2008, 12:48
Actually, it's really good to get your feedback on this sort of thing. I often just jump in to stuff without doing the research only to find I wasted time.

I know there are a few but you know, there are many shops selling DVDs/Games etc so maybe there is still a space for my little shop too. I was always told that you don't always have to come up with some unique, just do what someone else does, but do it better.

Kerosine
5th Sep 2008, 13:05
That's true, finding something 'unique' is difficult considering there's 6.6 billion people milling about, most with ideas about one thing or another. Maybe this is why I'm no entrepreneur, but the service the main players provide is pretty damn good, quick delivery, availibility of stock, prices and returns policy. Something hard to beat, and equally hard to market if you do.

That being said, online shops do have low(er) initial setup costs and overheads, if you're keen and think you can make it, go for it!

Saab Dastard
5th Sep 2008, 13:33
SD, surely if he pays for the advertising, he can promote his online shop on Pprune?

Whirls, you are absolutely correct, and I should indeed have mentioned that!

I can only say that we mods have to delete so much (unpaid) self-promotion that I thought I should get my retaliation in first, so to speak.

SD

Tone
5th Sep 2008, 16:09
Anyone who can organise an online shop selling stuff like Garmin GPS - with a reasonable discount would get my business. Since price fixing is illegal I guess it's pure coincidence that all existing suppliers offer much the same price. Surely the equipment suppliers wouldn't hold their dealers to ramsom, would they?

dazdaz
5th Sep 2008, 21:02
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dragonsden/apply/

I've recently applied for £30.000.000 to start my own airline and if I get the dosh, as respect to the dragon backers I'm going to name the airline DragonAir umm? Maybe that name has been taken;) I'll work on it.

Jokes aside, good luck with your idea.

Daz